What's new

Firefly (1 Viewer)

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was pretty good. I didn't like the teaser too much, and I didn't like the opening credits, but the episode got more enjoyable as it went along so I'm happy :) Of course, the true test will come when we get to episodes that aren't written/directed by Joss.
I'll have to learn the cast members' names. Favorites so far are the Full Metal Jacket guy and the whore. The priest seems likable but his hairstyle weirds me out :)

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
How was it! I missed it, and am I pissed. I got to watching my 24 dvds, and totally forgot. Anyone know if I can find this on IRC or somewhere online, or if FOX is planning to show this one again? I really hope so, I can't believe this!
How were the opening credits? Music? :)

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
I liked it and will come back next week. It definately needs an intro and music change. It was all a bit low key.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Jeff Kleist wrote:
Hope this isn't your idea of "hardcore sci-fi". This is "sci-fi" for those who hate science fiction (and/or don't know what it is).
If Mr. Whedon and Fox want to do Westerns, why not just do them straight?
HOOOOO-HUM!

Paul Case

Supporting Actor
I really enjoyed this show tonight. I knew absolutely nothing about it until I saw a dual ad for it and John Doe on Yahoo this morning at work. The miniature spaceship zooming across the screen caught my eye, so I did a little research and decided it would be worth tuning in. I'm glad I did and will be doing the same next week.
Hmmm...I wonder how wise it is to admit that I am a victim of interent advertising? :D

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I agree, this is no more hardcore sci-fi than "Buffy" is straight horror.
That doesn't make it a bad show, however.
I was all set to dislike it (a Western in space? Now there's an original idea. :rolleyes:), but like many of the rest of you, I became more intrigued as the episode played out. The main reason - the characters & performances worked for me. With a solid set of interesting & likeable characters, I am more than willing to sit back & enjoy the show while Whedon works out the kinks. Kind of like the 1st season of "Buffy"!! ;)
I love the attitude encapsulated in the scene at the end Travis mentioned, where
it looked like Whedon was setting up a "big bad" to chase our heroes all season, only to pull the rug out from under us and have the baddie unceremoniously shoved into the engine! Great stuff!
What I didn't like has been adequately covered above - slow start, music, unimaginative plot - but this is a promising start, and I'll be back for sure. "Firefly" is now a Season Pass on my TiVo, and that should say it all! :emoji_thumbsup:

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Great show! My wife and I, Joss disciples both, were tense at the beginning...no teens, no rock numbers...no vampires. Would it be good? It was a hoot! Unlike Jeff, I felt more of a Trigun vibe with the wandering hero, but you are right, the Bebop feel was there as well. Good stuff. I am sure naysayers will still find there way here but that's okay. I just hope there is enough of a following to keep it. Finally an SF (okay, space opera for the SF snobs) show where aliens aren't a part of the mix but zippy writing and fun characters are. It made the new Enterpise show look like it is standing still (which, oddly enough, it is...).

Speaking of anime, I always thought Joss wrote, if not anime style, with the cohesion of an typical anime season. Beginning, middle, end with a great arc between. I wish more shows would do that.

And for those who didn't get all the answers in the first episode...that is why it is a series and not a 2 hour movie...we watch to slowly learn the stuff. Can't wait for the REAL pilot.

Hope it lasts!

Phil

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
I concur with most everything that's been said. If I hadn't been in the know, I probably wouldn't have stayed past the teaser, but it did get quite entertaining. I do wish we'd seen the real pilot, if only because I think it's awfully early to be delving into the serialized conspiracy aspect.
The henchman joke at the end was definitely signed by Joss Whedon.:) I found the doped up Jayne to be funnier, though.
Let's hope Fox keeps up the letterboxing!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It definitely needs an intro and music change.
Personally I thought the Western Style intro and bluegrass style music fit the show like a glove. And this coming from a guy who hates country music for the most part.:)
I don't watch Buffy or Angel, but I'll definitely be tuning in next week.

Dave Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Wow... I thought this was really, really great. That probably means it won't last long, with my luck!

Nice likeable mix of characters, good acting, high production values, great writing. I also felt a similarity to Cowboy Bebop but that's no bad thing.

Next week's episode looks a bit Alien-ish, I hope it's not as straightforward as it looked from the trailer. But that aside I have very high hopes for the rest of it.

Fox, please don't kill it. Please.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
EDIT: I second Steve on the widescreen thing. Whedon's comments over the last couple of months have made it clear that he's shooting this for 16x9. Let's hope it stays 16x9.

EDIT TO AN EDIT: Please see previous page for original post that this is an edit of:b

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Ahh, my dad got his Satellite to work, and he taped this for me!!! My brother's bringing it home tomorrow, and I'll watch it then. I'll let you all know what I think, as if my opinion matters. ;)

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
I really was intrsted in the show before, now i really like it. Some of the actors have made appearences from some fav movies/shows of mine so it was cool seeing them all togther. As for seeing the original 2 hour pilot. Mid-season will be a 2 part showing of it. Sort of a origin story somehow worked into the overall scheme of things.

capt

Danny R

Supporting Actor
Personally I thought the Western Style intro and bluegrass style music fit the show like a glove. And this coming from a guy who hates country music for the most part.

I third the motion. The music and intro were perfect for the style of show this is. I love the actors and the jokes and performances were right on. The beginning was slow, but served perfectly to introduce everyone. By the end I though I had a good handle of what the show will be about. The overall story arc also has plenty of hooks tied in.

I guess I'm behind on the news though. I take it this is not the first show of the series, and we'll be seeing that later (presumably with the psycho-girl being found in the box)?

Anyone know if I can find this on IRC or somewhere online, or if FOX is planning to show this one again?

Robert: Email me if you haven't figured out how to get this one yet.

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
I realize this is just one quickly produced episode and broad judgments shouldn't be made from it, but after thinking it over for a few more minutes:
(I'll use spoiler space for Robert's sake:))
It looks like there won't be any real moral wrangling going on. The crew are criminals only superficially -- they did what any heroes would do when they found out that they stole... medicine! This isn't the path I was expecting the show to take. I can accept a season of lightness prevailing -- I'd say it worked out pretty well for Buffy -- but right now it's too soft-edged.
I initially agreed with Rex that a straight Western might have been a better idea (and might not have been alienating to both the sci-fi and Western audiences). But then, this is Joss we're talking about; he exists to twist genres. If he'd set out to make a straight western, it would have ended up with sci-fi elements, which probably would have been worse. The issue is a definite concern but I'm willing to see precisely where it goes. A scattered pseudo-pilot isn't enough for me to make the call.
I'm enthusiastic about the show, but I admit it's mostly on the faith that seems to be the theme of this post. I think strong elements will float to the surface and push away the un-Josslike desire to please that this episode showed.
It's allll potential. So Fox, I too would prefer that it wasn't canceled. (That's wasn't canceled. A new concept, I know.;))

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
I'm too tired to make any coherent comments, but I just wanted to chime in say that I also enjoyed it. Loved the scene at the end. Laughed my ass off. :laugh:

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I really love Joss' work on Buffy (imho Season 6 isn't half as bad as Season 4) and I came late to Angel, but the jury is still out on Firefly for three reasons:
1) way too much western, not enough sci-fi (what their six shooters/shotguns don't fire lasers?... did I mention I really hate westerns?)
2) Jayne's hideous hick accent (love the character but damn, every time he opened his mouth I wanted to shut it for him. He makes the Gorch brothers seem down right erudite... )
3) these people can't afford water for the basics of human hygiene? Kaylee's besmudged face was weird considering this is supposedly 2517 and not the 1880s. Everything was really dingy, except for the Alliance sector hq and Niska's Skyplex.
I liked the characters well enough, and hopefully the series will find a way to strike a balance between the sci-fi/western aspects. I really like Inara and Gina Torres (Zoe) is one of my favorite character actresses.
P.S. Even though the theme fits the show, I hate it! I think perhaps the lyrics do it in.

Diana M

Agent
I enjoyed the show and the characters

Wish Mal hadn't done the great deed so early in the series to show that he's really a wonderful guy, but it's probably due to the episode changes

Did anyone else see a lot of the Buffy characteristics in Mal, the sarcastic remarks and quips and the bad temper with a dose of humor, I almost felt like he was the male Buffy

I will tune in next week, as I was entertained, and it takes at least one season for a show to really get going

Mostly felt like I was watching a Western but with a lot more possibilities

Gary King

Second Unit
I was looking forward to seeing Firefly... got home from work at 9, ready to turn on my TiVo and get the first new Joss goodness since May, and I found the last hour of a baseball game. I think 2 minutes of Firefly was recorded at the end.

Does anyone have a DVD/CD burner and a recording of Firefly that they'd be willing to share? I can't seem to find it on Gnutella.

Fox -- you managed to butcher audiences for Futurama and Family Guy with your asinine scheduling. Please don't do it to Firefly, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks