What's new

Firefly Episode 2: NO WIDESCREEN! (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Please call your Fox affiliate to complain, and show them that we want it wide! The first episode was widescreen, I thought that battle was solved already, obviously I was wrong

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Of course, it wasn't their crappy ass marketing that did that... it was the widescreen presentation.
My brother doesn't care about widescreen, even he watched it, and actually thought it was okay (he hates Buffy. :))
I'm angry.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
1.01 - The Train Job
*** (****)

1.02 - Bushwacked
*** (****)

Oh my, was this a good episode. I actually found this one to be a tad better than THE TRAIN JOB, as it didn't have to double as a "pilot" as well as a stand-alone episode. It was fast pased, the jokes hit the mark, and the suspense was good enough. I'll be tuning in next week, can't wait for it. I have a feeling that the ratings are going to continue how they have. The lack of widescreen annoyed me a lot. Sadly, if it helps the ratings, I actually don't care, just because I figure if the show is successful, we'll probably get a DVD release, and that'll hopefully be in widescreen. But FOX really should change it back, it makes the show much more cinematic.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I did very much enjoy this ep

Actually, Firefly kicked ass last week inthe ratings in Fox's book. They were VERY pleased. Friday night ratings are always going to be low

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
I was glad to see a more direct contact with Reavers after being teased in Serenity with tales of how they "rape you to death, eat your flesh, and sew your skins into their clothing," for those of you who weren't fortunate enough to have seen the first pilot. Looks like they're doing a slow reveal of them, much like they did with the mayor in seasons 2 and 3 of Buffy. That one survivor at the end of the episode who had cut himself looked so freaky, I can't wait to see what the Reavers themselves will look like. I'm very pleased with this series so far.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Please call your Fox affiliate to complain, and show them that we want it wide!
Why? Is it supposed to widescreen? Otherwise I'd rather see 4:3 images on my 4:3 set (since DTV is not available here).

I forgot about the show and only caught the last half of it. Still, the part I saw was better than the first episode. Hopefully this is the trend: an interesting plot development show by show.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
At least they're still showing the widescreen presentation on the, er, HDTV channel. I don't care if it's not real high def - it still looks way better, and is OAR.
I liked the episode. What looked like it was going to be a very derivative sci-fi plot quickly diverged into something very unexpected. I think they were just playing with us. :emoji_thumbsup:
Martin.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Martin, I agree! The previews last week looked like another typical "contagion" or "Alien" type episode but turned into something very interesting. I love some of the character development, too. Jayne is turning out to be a fave but mostly because of the way the rest of the cast treats him. "You're scaring the women" was a hoot. Some good and creepy stuff was going on with the Reaver thing. I am happy they are doing the slow intro to them.

I was upset also at the lack of widescreen. It wouldn't bother me as much if it wasn't shot in that way, but it is obvious it was when watching it cropped. I mean, 4:3 is fine when shot for it (like Buffy) but sheesh. Even "Enterprise" is still showing in widescreen. C'mon, Fox! (**note to administrators: This post was not intended to make evil towards a network company...I love Fox. Fox is good.**)

Jeff, thanks for the note about Fox being happy. We just want them to be happy with the show so it stays on for a while. I always wonder how numbers relate to happiness. Like Buffy, it's numbers are lower than most shows out there yet is considered "a hit" because of the time it is on and the group it targets. Very odd.

Thanks!

Phil

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
I had read before hand it wasnt going to be widescreen so i was ready for it. Ill tell ya fox really has a good 1-2 punch on Friday nights. Firefly and John Doe both are excellent shows i am now hooked on. Cant wait till next weeks episodes

capt

Mike Monti

Stunt Coordinator
You think the loss of widescreen is bad, check out the last five minutes again. There's sound for the ships in space in the preview for next weeks episode.

Here's hoping it was just put in for the ad and won't really be there. Sadly, I can imagine some network tool(soon to be patented as SMT, because of it's disturbing usefulness in conversations such as this one)saying, "What's the point of having explosions if our viewers can't hear them?"

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
I like how the thread title implies that the name of the episode is "No Widescreen." I mean, with an episode titled like that, you'd think Whedon and Greenwalt wanted it in P&S. :)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Funny Mark :)
The pilot was widescreen, no reason to change! They're obviously framing for 16:9 as well, given how cramped last night's ep was.
In any case, call your local Fox affiliate and complain on Monday please. There are people all over the country planning to do this, and if the bitching is loud enough, we'll get what we want
Oh, and don't email Fox either. I'm STILL stuck on their "play fantasy football" list after I complained about Football running over and offered them my solutions to solve the problem (Tell the NFL to learn how to count to 60, put the game ina PIP window etc etc)

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
There's sound for the ships in space in the preview for next weeks episode.
I thought I was the only one to notice that there's no sound in space in this show. (I haven't read the other thread completely, so if anyone else mentioned it, I wouldn't have seen it there.) This aspect of the show is very cool. I also think it's interesting how the outer space POV shots look like they're being viewed through a joystick-controlled security camera with constant pan and zoom speeds and slow auto-focus.

This was a good episode. As for widescreen, I missed it and want it back.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Last nigth scored even lower...

Firefly 1.02
3.6/7

John Doe 1.02
4.4/8

I think the prevues for John Doe look very good, and I might tune in next week, but missing the first 2 episodes might scare me into catching this one during sweeps, or summer re-runs...

I hope Fox is still pleased with the numbers, this show is growing on me.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
The Sacramento Fox HD feed was in 16:9. I agree with a previous poster that while not true HD it was impressive, even better than last weeks widescreen on the SD digital feed. I wasn't even aware that my Fox affiliate had upgraded to HD sometime between Firefly 1 and 2.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
FIREFLY - SERENITY

I found this to be a much better pilot, and actually grabbed me more than the first 2 episodes aired. I'm definitely going to be tuning in againg and again.

The characters all had more time to shine, and the tone was right on the mark. FOX better not cancel this show, it's got the chance to be a cult hit.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I dunno. None of the characters really do much for me yet.

I'm so over the River chick. Can we jettison out of an airlock, please?

Am I the only one that remembers Doug Savant from his Melrose Place days?

I hate the camerawork in Firefly, sure, maybe it's intentional, but I get a bit sick from all of the "steady"cam footage. It's like watching someone play a FPS game, and those make me nauseous as well.

I'm sticking with the show for a half season, but if it doesn't get any better, I'll just be recording John Doe, a far more fast-moving show that's growing on me.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Just caught the Pilot episode "Serenity" as well. Or at least half of it. It was vastly superior to what they had to do for the "new" pilot. The relationships make a LOT more sense when the pilot is in place. I am not sure what Fox was smoking when they said it was "too slow." Sure, the pacing wasn't a Star Wars movie (wait, that's slow now too) but it was very engrossing. Moral dilemmas, close calls, guns, sex and nudity (well, she IS a prostitute) and some great dialogue. Damn...gotta wait half a year to see this? Hopefully the show will last until then. Fox, you listenting! :)
Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks