What's new

Finishing Touches on ManCave/Home Theater: I need Advice (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Bobby Hamilton
I'm going to start this by saying I'm a HUGE Tennessee Volunteers football fan. My current mancave is a UT Mancave.
So I'm moving into a new house in a week, and I've already been up and done all the wiring, etc. It's prepped to be put in. Room is 13 wide by 21 feet long. I had planned on doing another UT Mancave room.
But last week I kind of thought about going the theater route and doing movie posters, etc...and that's where I'm a bit stuck.
If I go the theater route, I'm not sure what to do with the walls. I've been looking at things online the last 2-3 days, but I'm still stuck.
I do NOT have a projector...I have a 65 inch Plasma. The room is window free (basement). Carpet is a lighter color, and the ceiling is a drop ceiling white (and I'm not sure I want to mess with painting it based on my living situation)
SO...if I don't go with the UT theme...and I go movie theme (already have the posters and frames picked out)...what color/colors do I paint the room?
Help me out folks!

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Since you are not going with a projector(mistake) :) you can paint it ANY color scheme. It's all about personal preference.

Real Name
Bobby Hamilton
That's what I'm trying to decide. Whatever I choose has to look okay with a white ceiling.
I'm thinking a dark red with a cherry chair rail, and a neutral color (vanilla, etc) on top. I saw a picture of a room that was basically all vanilla and it had the movie posters up, and they really stood out. I don't want it all vanilla/neutral, so I want to break it up some.

Real Name
Bobby Hamilton
The house I'm moving into (at least for now) is part of a compensation package for a job I'm taking. The room really isn't set up for a projector. For now, I'll stick with the 65 inch plasma. I do plan on watching sports, etc in there...I'll have two TV's mounted on either side of my main TV. Projector would get in the way of that.

John Fortino

Auditioning
Real Name
John Fortino
I'm I UT Fan too, Live in Knox-vegas as well... went down a similar debate you did with my "man-cave"... did I want a sports or Theater motif. Being as to room is upstairs and for me watching sports involves grillin' something and hanging out on the deck, I went with the Theater route.
I am currently in the 10,642 revamp of the room (growing pains) and have run into the "what do I do with the walls. Originally I painted the room a color from Lowe's called Mark Twain Brown. It is a nice rich brown that goes black in low light. It has worked nicely for me, but I am going to go with black carpeting on the side walls 8' from the 110" screen.
The reason for carpet is 2 fold, 1- acoustic treatment; 2- absorb more ambient light so all you are focused on is the image on the screen and not the glare on the walls. I have looked at some of the acoustic carpeting. It is expensive and not locally available, it also requires that you glue it directly to the walls... yeah man cave or not, my wife would not like the thought of that.
What I have decided to do is go with the same low pile commercial carpet I used on my riser and glue it to two (2) 4'x8' panels attached side by side (8'x8') and then mounted to the wall. This way a few screws and they are down, as opposed to damaging the walls or having to replace the drywall if I ever needed to take it down.
I have even considered a couple of different carpet colors and make a pattern on the panels, kinda like you see in movie theaters just to break it up. What would be sweet would be a Black and orange UT on them.... Hmmmm... WOW what a pain that would be, but cool
I hope any of this helps out a fellow VOLS fan, seems there are fewer and fewer of us these days (LOL)

Real Name
Bobby Hamilton
John Fortino said:
I'm I UT Fan too, Live in Knox-vegas as well... went down a similar debate you did with my "man-cave"... did I want a sports or Theater motif. Being as to room is upstairs and for me watching sports involves grillin' something and hanging out on the deck, I went with the Theater route.
I am currently in the 10,642 revamp of the room (growing pains) and have run into the "what do I do with the walls. Originally I painted the room a color from Lowe's called Mark Twain Brown. It is a nice rich brown that goes black in low light. It has worked nicely for me, but I am going to go with black carpeting on the side walls 8' from the 110" screen.
The reason for carpet is 2 fold, 1- acoustic treatment; 2- absorb more ambient light so all you are focused on is the image on the screen and not the glare on the walls. I have looked at some of the acoustic carpeting. It is expensive and not locally available, it also requires that you glue it directly to the walls... yeah man cave or not, my wife would not like the thought of that.
What I have decided to do is go with the same low pile commercial carpet I used on my riser and glue it to two (2) 4'x8' panels attached side by side (8'x8') and then mounted to the wall. This way a few screws and they are down, as opposed to damaging the walls or having to replace the drywall if I ever needed to take it down.
I have even considered a couple of different carpet colors and make a pattern on the panels, kinda like you see in movie theaters just to break it up. What would be sweet would be a Black and orange UT on them.... Hmmmm... WOW what a pain that would be, but cool
I hope any of this helps out a fellow VOLS fan, seems there are fewer and fewer of us these days (LOL)
Thanks for the suggestions. I"m actually a Vols fan who lives in Indy for 5 more days and then moving to NW Indiana (70 miles from Chicago, farmland area). I keep season tickets, but man the drive is going to suck now.
I've got a 65 inch Plasma...projection isn't an option for me just yet. Next house, or maybe this one in a few years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks