What's new

Finishing basement 5.1 need some advice (1 Viewer)

Dwrettig

Auditioning
Real Name
Don
Hello, I am finishing my basement with a front wall 20' wide with log cabin siding. The depth of the room is 14' (that will be tongue and groove pine)with a bulkhead starting at 10' that drops the height of the room down from 8' to 7'. So there is 4' of lowered ceiling in the surround area. Behind the bulkhead will open into a games room with kitchenette. I was wanting to go with all ceiling speakers (recessed) but now understand that is not a wise choice. I do not want to mount front speakers on the cabin siding. To save money I was thinking about mounting my Bose am5 to the ceiling, with my Bose center channel under the tv(not mounted ). For surround I cannot use my Bose star derived surrounds due to headroom so I thought about the Polk rc60 for $119 /pr on amazon. Later I could upgrade the front speakers because I understand Bose is not the best. Any thoughts on this approach?Thanks Don

vidiot33

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
Hi: while I would agree that Bose is not the best speaker choice, I wouldn't reject in-walls completely. With any small speaker, you're not going to have much bass, which requires a subwoofer crossed higher than I would recommend, but if low bass is not a priority for you, just go with what you like and is within your budget. Although they're not commonly known, Arx, sold by Audio Insider, makes great affordablespeakers ( I think they may even have an in-wall). Worth checking out, and best of luck!

Dwrettig

Auditioning
Real Name
Don
Vidiot33, when you say in wall do you mean in ceiling? I only ask because in wall is not an option because of the log siding. Thanks for the link I will check that out.Shan1269, sorry for my ignorance, but what is an lcr bar? Any particular brand? I'll do a search. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks