What's new

Finished The X-Files - Need Something New (1 Viewer)

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
We've finally watched all nine seasons of The X-Files - fantastic show which has given us hours of entertainment.

We now need recommendations for similar TV shows in the thriller/crime/sci-fi genre as well as some more light-hearted stuff. It's great to be able to chill for an hour after dinner and watch a show without having to set aside the whole evening for a film.

Thanks.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I've been watching The Avengers, and I am pleasantly surprised how much the Steed-Peel relationship reminds me of Mulder-Scully.

Alias is a good show that uses the X-Files' conspiracy/spy game scenarios, but the relations between Sydney and Vaughn are nothing like Mulder/Scully.

For the creepy elements of the X-Files, I find I like the Outer Limits . And for the political intrigue of the X-Files, I'd recommend, believe it or not, The West Wing.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
"Millennium". It's from Chris Carter and Ten Thirteen Productions and a lot of the same people worked on it. It's part of the "X-Files universe", too.

Phil_La

Stunt Coordinator
I also recommend Stargate. Of course the premise of the show isn't anything like X-Files, but it does a great job pulling off the "cute" or funny episodes like X-Files did. And I love Carter almost as much as I do Scully. Plus you can't beat a MacGyver who uses guns :D

florence franks

Stunt Coordinator
Definitely Stargate SG-1. I cant stand Star Trek or most of scifi stuff out there but its in league of their own like X-files, and you grow love characters and story very fast.

Valerie G.

Stunt Coordinator
I'm going to have to say Stargate SG-1, even though it's been said a couple times already!! I love that show! :D

For more of the light-hearted, kind of comedy/drama, I'd have to say Gilmore Girls. Great show.

:emoji_thumbsup: Good Luck!

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Buffy, Angel, Stargate SG-1, and 24.

Also for western/sci-fi go with Firefly.

James D

Second Unit
For Sci-Fi/light entertainment, I would strongly suggest Smallville . There are two seasons currently available and I plowed through both sets in just two weeks.:)

James T

Screenwriter
two weeks? Pretty impressive.

That's also how I handled Alias seasons One + Two :) That's a great show.

Nicodemus

Stunt Coordinator
The Dead Zone could be a wise choice. And maybe Farscape. I would skip Stargate though - I don't think it's very good...

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Ditto - Dead Zone - Season 1 & 2! Great series and excellent season sets. My only quibble is the lack of an outer sleeve for the first set. Thankfully the second set has rectified that issue.

Kyle**S

Stunt Coordinator
I strongly recommend Firefly, or, since you liked The X-Files, you may want to check out the rest of the Carterverse, including Millenium and the soon to be released Harsh Realm (and The Lone Gunman, not yet on DVD).

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I agree with suggestions like 24, Alias for thriller. For sci-fi i've just started watching Farscape for the first time and give it a hearty thumbs up so far.

Gordon St Pierre

Stunt Coordinator
My recommendations would be

24 ..2 seasons out 3rd coming soon
Alias ..2 seasons out 3rd coming soon
Firefly Complete series out ..movie coming in spring
Millenium 1st season just out
Jeremiah 1st season out ..Second MIA

LeonaB

Stunt Coordinator
I highly recommend La Femme Nikita (Season 1 is out, Season 2 has been delayed but should be available soon).

If you enjoy psychological mind games with your action and adventure, you'll be hooked on LFN. It's a fabulous show!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks