What's new

Finding replacement parts for TV? (1 Viewer)

PaulDF

Second Unit
I've got an older RCA tube TV in need of a replacement power supply. I haven't looked inside it yet, but it has been replaced once before. Bright scenes cause it to flash, roll, and blackout etc. I'm sure I can do this myself if I could find a replacement part.

Anybody know where I can get a replacement part? The TV model # is AVM 2595U. Thanks.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
I tried doing a search on this and came up with only one site that even mentiones your RCA.

http://www.freelists.org/archives/techassist/11-2001/

Paul, I would assume from your message that the TV is a 25" model and getting no hits on an Internet search would lead me to believe that it is at least 6-10 years old, correct? The prices on 27" sets are really plummeting right now and I have seen 27" TVs at Wal-Mart for under 150 US dollars.

Further, working in the back of a TV is very dangerous if you don't know what you are doing as the set retains voltage at dangerous levels even when off. I know this to be true because in my IT job, I have often picked up PC monitors that had been laying around a couple of days unplugged and still got a shock. You have to ask yourself, it is worth it to try to fix that RCA yourself or just get a more modern TV for a cheap price. Finding a part like you are describing is going to be difficult.:frowning:

PaulDF

Second Unit
Thanks for the reply Chuck. You're right, the TV is approx 10 yrs old. Its just sitting in storage and I'd feel bad to throw it away!

I had thought that if I could repair it for under $40.00 CAD then it might be worth it. We paid $300 many years ago to have the same repair, and I figured the part might be cheap. Anybody know if power supplies are model specific, or could they be somewhat universal?

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Will it work better if the contrast is turned way way down?

If you can't bring yourself to throw the TV away, this may help.

This greatly reduces the demand on the power supply (and also prolongs the life of the CRT's on all sets, new and old.

Many times a serviceman substitutes a different power supply as if it were somewhat universal, but you have to know what voltages and currents are needed, which means having experience repairing TV's.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

PaulDF

Second Unit
As I recall, it did work better with the brightness turned way down. As time went on it got worse. I don't think I tried the contrast though. Looks like I may as well throw it out and in the future if I need an extra TV or the kids want another one I can always buy a cheap one. As Chuck said, prices are really dropping. Who knows what the future will hold in terms of cheap TVs!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks