What's new

FINALLY! TrueHD, DTS-HD Master AVR Receivers! (1 Viewer)

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Sure, it'll be tough to market a new receiver these days without TrueHD/DTS MA on the faceplate. When and if they'll actually get to decode anything is the real question.

BrentSP

Agent
Real Name
Brent Pearcy
.....and I just bought a Marantz SR8500 :) I guess I need to wait for the Blu-ray/HD Players to come with DTS-MA and Dolby TruHD decoders. :D

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Not just decoders, but full-blown D/A/output stages since there's no HDMI input. You can get that with HD DVD/TrueHD right now, maybe a bit a wait for full 7.1 in both formats and both lossless codecs.
Still, the downsampled S/PDIF sounds extremely good.

BrentSP

Agent
Real Name
Brent Pearcy

Yeah the 8500 doesn't have a HDMI input so I see what your saying. I thought the 7.1 inputs on the 8500 would work if the player had the decoders. What D/A spec does TrueHD and DTS-MA require?

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Your inputs are fine, I'm just not aware of players with 7.1 outputs for those formats yet. The Toshiba XA2 has 5.1, I think, and will give you TrueHD over those. Not sure on what's current in BD.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Its nice to see that the new model recievers are being anounced and that we are seeing more and more brands making anouncments. But for me I do not see myself with a Onkyo or Sherwood to be honest, at this point its ether a Denon or Pioneer.

Onkyo
TX-SR605 MSRP $499
TX-SR705 MSRP $799
TX-SR805 MSRP $999
TX-SR875 MSRP $1599
TX-NR905 MSRP $1999

Sherwood Newcastle
R-872 MSRP $1000
R-972 MSRP $1500

Pioneer Elite
VSX-91TXH MSRP $1000
VSX-92TXH MSRP $1300
VSX-94TXH MSRP $1600

Denon
AVR-1508 MSRP $?
AVR-1708 MSRP $?
AVR-2808 MSRP $?
AVR-3808ci MSRP $1,599
AVR-4308ci MSRP $2,499

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
me2. i used onkyo for quite a while but got a denon cause there are lot more features and the quality is just astounding =D

TRINADS

Agent
Real Name
Jimmy
Personally, I think that Onkyo is not NEARLY as good as people claim, I just got rid of my Onkyo yesterday in place of a Pio Elite 82TSX. Evethough there is no reason to wait for the 1.3 recievers, so as long as you have a level 5 or above reveiver now, I would wait and pass up the Onkyo line. The Pio's and Yami's just sound much better in my opinion. I thought my Onkyo was the greatest thing in the world, but with the Pio Elite, there is just NO comparison, Onkyo sucks!!! I will NEVER purchase another Onkyo product again. It's kinda like a Hyndai, looks nice, has all the features, looks good on paper, but drives like absolute CRAP.

Chris Huber

Second Unit
Nice, I was wating for Pioneer to release their line. Question, on the Elite 91-TXH front display, can you switch the display from bronze color back to the standard electronics display color? Just wondering.

Also, anyone know how many HDMI inputs these will have?

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
yeah people talked about how good onkyos were, that was my first AVR ever, but i always found the bass lacking compared to denon, so i was with onkyo for 5 years and got rid of it, i've been with denon just as long and i luv it!

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Resurrecting this thread to see if anyone knows when the Pioneer Elite VSX-94TXH is going to be available. Pio's press release said August, but I can't seem to find any more information about this item. Anyone plan on buying this receiver or know anything else about it?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks