What's new

Finally - Some Doris Day (1 Viewer)

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator
Good news that Universal is releasing both Pillow Talk and Lover Come Back. Both are fine examples of the period's comedy and I will buy both (already owning Send Me No Flowers).
Lets hope that Warners will release some of her titles particularly as April will see Doris celebrate her 80th birthday(!!!!!!!).
Presumably any decision about her titles that may be released this year has already been taken, as the timescale is some 2 years from the green light to release and the DVD arriving on the market.
With regard to the Bear box sets: they are excellent and I think cover just about everything she recorded(?). There are indeed 4 of them titled It's Magic, Secret Love, Que Sera and Move Over Darling.

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
There is already an anamorphic release of Pillow Talk in R4, released in December with Lover Come Back and Send Me No Flowes, so I would have to assume the re-release in R1 will be similarly anamorphic.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
George Kaplan - the CD does have I need no atmospher - its only a minute and a half - it also has Rock Hudson decca vocals of songs from the film (including Pillow Talk!) George, email me at [email protected]
Now is someone would do the complete soundtracks of day that would be great. Unfortunately, Warners did NOT keep most of the vocals recordings from their films. Only the background scores. some raw sessions exist form Young at Heart. And there are acetates from Tea for Two that incoudes a version of the title tune NOT in the film and Gordon Macrae singing Here in My Arms. The acetates of By the Light of the silvery Moon have a song cut fromthe film - Old Saint Nicholas.
The april in Paris acetates have an alternate finale.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Nick,

The Bear sets include all her commercial Columbia material but don't include the transcriptions she made during 1952-53 for World Transcriptions. Those are available on various CDs including two from Hindsight Records CDs(I put them together). Also not on the Bear sets are her recordings with Les Brown and his Band - both commercial sides made for Columbia as well as transcriptions made for World. Those recordings are available on various CDs.

Peter

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator
Peter,
Thanks for the information.

Being a big fan of Doris Day and her music I will need to get those other recordings. Is it possible you could list the titles of the CD albums you mention , so that I can do an online search for them?

Do you know Peter whether there was any other label that Doris Day sang for, that wouldn't have been covered by the Bear releases (other than what you have already mentioned?).

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
Doris Day recorded exculsively for Columbia from the mid-40s until the late '60s. The BEAR sets cover that entire period (although they are VERY expensive, and technically legal for sale in Germany). Day made one post-Columbia album that never got a release in the U.S. until decades later. Those sessions are on the BEAR set as well.

What is not on the BEAR set are most of Doris' soundtrack recordings, especially her early pictures. CALAMITY JABE, LUCKY ME, LOVE ME OR LEAVE ME, and BILLY ROSE'S JUMBO are there (the latter with mediocre sound quality), but Doris' early WB pictures are represented only by studio sessions that pale next to those done with the incomparable WB Orchestra.

Selections from the soundtracks of Day's first 3 WB films are available from Rhino Records on a terrific CD called DORIS DAY: IT'S MAGIC. None of this material is on the BEAR
boxed sets, and I'd highly recommend its purchase if you're a true fan of Miss Day.

..and getting back to the main topic: Considering Warner Home Video's peerless activities with classic films on DVD within the last year and a half or so, I think it's highly likely that we'll get to see some of Doris Day's more popular films such as LOVE ME OR LEAVE ME or PLEASE DON'T EAT THE DAISIES on DVD before long.:)

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the information.

Let's hope that some of Warner's great Doris Day films do come to light soon. I would love to see On Moonlight Bay and By The Light Of The Silvery Moon.

Didn't Miss Day do a TV show in the 1970s and if so has this ever be released to video? If this show still exists I for one would purchase the show on DVD.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Oh Bliss...a 16x9 Anamorphic Pillow Talk! Can it really be so? :D :D :D

Ok...you've got a big-ole Dorris Day fan typing away over here. Life won't be complete until I have own them all! Must have Dorris Day movies on DVD...must buy...

Looking forward to these announced here and also looking forward to the day I can get others like Silvery Moon...

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Gonna have a 16x9 Pillow Talk Party!!!!!!

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Storm Warning is an awesome film. Great performances all around, and it deals with an issue (the horrible KKK) that one wouldn't expect from a 50's flick.

At the last Warners chat someone (I forget who) specifically asked about this title. Warners said this was not on the schedule because (paraphrasing) "nobody has heard of it".

Methinks Warners underestimates the popularity of this film.

Steve

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
The announcement of this box set just cleared up for me what I will get my mom for Mother's Day. She loves the Day/Hudson movies. :emoji_thumbsup:

Brian W

Stunt Coordinator
Is anyone else as excited and anxiously waiting for this release in April as much as I am? Finally Pillow Talk in anamorphic widescreen! LOVER COME BACK finally transferred to DVD. Send Me No Flowers will probably be the same anamorphic transfer that came out a year or 2 ago (which is adequate for the weakest of the 3 and pretty OK). I hope the transfers of PT and LCB are of the highest quality which they deserve. Also mention of a music CD in this set. I'll be looking for any advanced information, reviews as they filter out before the release.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
My favorite DD movie, already available, is THE THRILL OF IT ALL, co-starring James Garner. Funny stuff.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

I'm fighting the temptation to buy a new Sharp 10000 720P DLP projector to make my Pillow Talk Party all that it can possibly be :D :D :D :D :D

DeeF

Screenwriter
But can we mention Calamity Jane, just briefly?

The DVD needs work, bleeding colors, bad registration, and bad audio synching in a number of places.

Doris is pretty good, but overall, this is a second-rate version of Annie Get Your Gun.

But one theme, only hinted at, is remarkable for its time: the movie suggests a lesbian marriage. In fact, the whole movie is filled with same-sex jokes, people in drag, "secret" loves, etc. This is very different from Annie Get Your Gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks