What's new

Finally!!! Rockford Files - The Movies Collection; Coming November 3rd (1 Viewer)

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Finally, TV Shows on DVD have announced that the Rockford Files will be completed this November 3rd when Rockford Files - The Movie Collection is released. The release will include all eight movies in this wonderful collection and final release of this fantastic detective series:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Rockford-Files-Movie-Collection-Volume-1/12473

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
It looks like this release includes all the movies:

[edit CBS TV moviesEp.#AirdateTitle0021994-11-27The Rockford Files: I Still Love L.A.
Dedicated to the memory of Noah Beery, Jr. We love you and miss you, Pidge.0031995-05-14The Rockford Files: A Blessing in DisguiseM-31996-01-14The Rockford Files: If The Frame FitsM-41996-02-18The Rockford Files: Godfather Knows BestM-51996-04-25The Rockford Files: Friends and Foul Play — a.k.a. Fieldtrip to a FuneralM-61996-09-18The Rockford Files: Punishment and Crime — a.k.a. Night FishingM-71997-11-21The Rockford Files: Murder and Misdemeanors
Dedicated to the memory of Luis Delgado.M-81999-04-20The Rockford Files: If it Bleeds… It Leads — filmed in 1997

jamoon2006

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Mooney
Fantastic! Rockford is such a great show, and these reunion movies kept the same spirit and charm of the series. Only complaint is a split release, but that's a small price to pay, IMO, for getting these on DVD.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Very Nice! I had been wondering if we would see these or not. It would have been nice to get all of them at once though, instead of a volume 1 and a volume 2 set. But I will be buying them regardless.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
IN for both volumes! I just finished season 6 and have been going through withdrawal, so I started over with season 1 again. By the time November rolls around, I'll have gone through the series a second time around. I'm also currently reading Ed Robertson's excellent "30 Years of the Rockford Files" book, catching up on all the behind-the-scenes stuff about the show, including the movies. I highly recommend it to any fan of the series.

I've never seen any of the movies, so I'm looking forward to this release.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Well, since I only made it through the midway through Season 3, I'm going to go back and watch the series from the beginning since it's been some time since I last watched the DVD's. At any rate, it's sad that the actor who played Rocky, Noah Beery Jr, passed away and the first movie was a tribute to the actor.

I'd rather Universal release all of the movie in a supersized boxed set as I would be willing to spend $50 or $60 on it.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Not sure whether to pre-order this or wait for a boxset containing all 8 reunion TV movies. Universal Playback have stalled with The Rockford Files in the UK. Season 6 has still not been released yet and I doubt they will release the 90's TV movies as well. They've not been releasing many things these past few months (although there have been a few releases these past few months and in the next month or two, including Season 10 of Murder, She Wrote, which is out on 31st August).
Edited by WaveCrest - 8/13/2009 at 11:00 pm GMT

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I have heard about these "Rockford Files" movies, but have never seen any of them. I am looking forward to getting these and I hope they are as good as the series was. Thanks Jeff H for the mention of the book on the Rockford Files. I had never heard about the book before.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
While I've never seen any of the movies of the series, it just wouldn't be the same without Rocky Sr. At least I have all six seasons of the television series.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I have the first five seasons of The Rockford Files and Noah Beery, Jr. as Rocky plays such an integral part in so many of my favorite episodes. His absence from the Rockford Files movies causes me wonder how well they hold up without him. I agree with you Mark, it won't be the same without him.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
you also need to remember that the movies where in the 90s as well and James Garner was getting older. Best of Rockford was during the series run. I wull probably buy the set so i can complete my collection.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Originally Posted by younger1968

you also need to remember that the movies where in the 90s as well and James Garner was getting older. Best of Rockford was during the series run. I wull probably buy the set so i can complete my collection.
Yes, there were quite a few years between the series end and when the movies were produced. I am curious as to how successful they were at recreating the feel of the original series or if they tried to modernize it too much and turn it into something quite different from the original show.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
That's why I probably won't get the RF movies. Columbo is a little different as the series only had one central character ...

jamoon2006

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Mooney
I'll probably regret sticking my head in the lion's mouth, but if you're a Rockford fan, I can almost guarantee you'll enjoy these movies. I have I Still Love L.A. taped from TV and while it definitely brings Rockford into the 90s, the same wry humor and style is there. James Garner is one of TV's all-time greatest actors and he eases back into the character without missing a beat.

Dennis and Angel (who branches out into televangelism, among other things) are back. Dennis and his family even have a movie focused on them (Godfather Knows Best, when Dennis' son and Rockford's godson lands in trouble). Plus, Jim gets reunited with Rita and Beth. Gretchen Corbett slipped out so suddenly it was nice to see some closure on their semi-romance. Chapman is back to annoy (and be annoyed by) Rockford. Even Megan, the blind psychiatrist returns. Their chemistry with Garner is as good as it ever was.

Perhaps just as importantly, the writers are back. As much as the cast made Rockford a classic, David Chase, Stephen Cannell, Juanita Bartlett and others created the array of characters and bizarre situations for Rockford to encounter every week. Chase arguably has a trial run at the Sopranos in one of the TV movies...Jim is roughed up by an irritable mob boss who can't find his lithium.

Noah Berry was terrific as Rocky (you could actually believe he and Garner were father and son and had spent all those years together), and while he's missed, it would be a mistake to write off these movies because of Rocky's absence.

PS - I almost forgot...if you are going through Rockford withdrawal, check out your library for Stuart Kaminsky's two Rockford novels from the mid-90s. Highly recommended!

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
you need to remember how old james garner is now. James Garner was in his mid to late 40s when he did Rockford Files.

He is still a funny actor, but, i still think his old rockford files series was some his best work. I also did like him in the great escape.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Maybe, But UNiversal should have used a picture featuring a somewhat younger Gardner. That's like using a current picture of Dick Van Dyke on the cover of a Dick Van Dyke DVD Boxed Set. It's just wrong.

docdoowop

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt
Rockford is the gold star in Cannell's repertoire. Self-deprecating and wry humor and great supporting actors. I'm just amazed Maverick isn't happening. It's the same captivating Garner charm and the humor is just as clever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks