1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Finally got new PC

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Adam Gregorich, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    We'd had our old desktop for 5 years, so it was time to upgrade. I found a one year old used PC on Craigslist that I negotiated down to $600, not bad for a Dell XPS8500 with a 3rd gen i7, 240GB SSD, 2TB HD, 32GB of RAM, BDRW and high end graphics card. I feel like I'm part of the 21st century again!

2. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker Premium
    Supporter

Keith Plucker
    Sounds nice. Did you get install media? Personally, I would never use a used computer without wiping it clean and reinstalling the OS first.

-Keith

3. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I'm not current on Windows PC prices, but that seems like a good deal! I've searched CL several times for used Macs, but never liked what I saw. You couldn't find recent vintage computers with much of a discount. I guess that's a good thing for sellers :) but no fun when I'm on the other side.

4. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Not even that. Remove the hard disks and install your own.

5. Stan

Stan Premium
    Supporter

I know what you feel like Adam. Bought a very nice HP dv6 laptop last year, totally loaded, but I was going to school at the time and got it for only $750. I had an old Toshiba laptop with XP but just not worth repairing after the keyboard and other things started to fail.Still have my old desktop, 14 years old with XP, a huge 21 inch monitor about the size of a kitchen stove. It works, but definitely now in the antique era.Sad to admit, but I finally bought my first HDTV two weeks ago. Had a 36" Toshiba from 1998, but almost everything was letterboxed so I was fine. Wrong.... It finally croaked (no green, so all the colors were terrible).
    New TV, had Dish come out and got a new HD receiver and they changed the satellite receiver on my roof. OMG, the difference is so amazing.
    I'm now a real HTF member and have joined the 21st century :P

6. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Premium
    Supporter

That would be a waste if money, just do a DoD wipe and everything will be ok.

7. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Just be sure to have your backup system going. Modern hard drives seem fragile enough. With a used computer, you don't know if had any additional abuse.