1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Finally back with TiVo!

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Joseph DeMartino, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    When I finally bought an HD TV six years ago, I had to give up my beloved TiVo Series 2 boxes. An HD TiVo Series 3 was out of reach financially (what did they cost back then? $700? $800? Without lifetime service?) and I wasn't going to pay $20 a month for SD service on a TiVo while paying almost as much for an HD-DVR from the cable company. But times change. A couple of weeks ago I got a Woot! offer for a brand new TivO Premiere - $55 shipped. I was tempted. So I called the cable company. My condo association has a group deal with the cable company, so I pay for basic sevice through my associatoin fee, and get billed for extras by the cable co. Until a couple of years ago, I was paying almost $30 a month. After the contract was renegotiated, my bill dropped to $18.75. Since the bill still said "HD DVR and HD service" I assumed I was paying for my digital "plus" channels. But it turns out they had rolled the HD channels into the "basic" package covered in the condo bill, and I was only paying to rent the HD DVR. So I swapped it for a free cable card and now I have a much better, less buggy, DVR for almos the same price Plus the TiVo does Amazon streaming, which my networked BD player doesn't. As an Amazon Prime member, I get lots of content for no extra charge. So I was able to cancel my Netflix subscription. I am soooo happy to have my TiVo back. Regards, Joe