What's new

Final Fantasy movie -- Do you use it for demo? (1 Viewer)

Robert Burkes

Second Unit
Hi! I've seen the movie, and I found it somewhat entertaining. Do you all consider the audio on the DVD to be demo material? Thanks!

Rob

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
My dad thinks that Toy Story 2 looks better and sounds better, but I still think Final Fantasy is the BEST looking/sounding DVD in the collection.

Phu Vo

Stunt Coordinator
Audio on the DVD is quite good. The imagery in the movie itself is spectacular. Alas, where this DVD fails is in the compression to MPEG2. Edge enhancement galore. EE doesn't really bother me as much as others, but on this DVD it did. Afterall, it should have been a digital to digital transfer like Toy Story and Shrek. Look how outstanding the video is on those DVDs.

Audio is great. Demo DVD it is not.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I also think Toy Story 2 looks and sounds better although these are two different looking kind of films, with Final Fantasy having a surreal almost gritty look.

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
No. A Ton of grain and gradient color banding. The DD track is good and loud, but does not really have the extended range of a track like Titan A.E.
But the movie sure does have some great animation :)
I hope to see a superbit of this one some day.

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
The disc's soundtrack is good, but not reference quality. There are certainly better, more impressive soundtracks available on DVD.

Adam

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
Also, the reason I would prefer to show Toy Story 2 is the amount of colours it has. Especially when we are in places like Andy's Room. FF I find has lots of dark colours mixed with a lot of greys, I know its the style of the film and I quite like it, but for strictly demo material I prefer something like Toy Story 2.

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Some of the grain was intentional, but not nearly all that is present on that DVD. Nor was there any mosquito noise or color banding in the original renders.

If you are just concerned with mastering quality for your demo material and want to show off a CGI flick:

'Dinosaur' looks better on DVD, 'Toy Story' and 'Toy Story 2' look better on DVD, so does 'Shrek' 'A Bugs Life' and 'Jimmy Neutron'.

FF has a very cool style though.. I do love the look of that movie. It deserves a better transfer then the one it has been given.

Jason_H

Second Unit
Has anyone caught the HD version of Final Fantasy on the HBO-HD channel? It looks absolutely stunning...I saw none of the problems that others have mentioned with the DVD transfer. I can't wait for the days of HD-DVD...

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I read that they were going for late 70's cinematography.
I don't have a good enough TV to judge accurately the picture quality on DVDs since colorful movies don't look so good, but the sound quality seems like it can be improved.
Fans of the movie should check out this site that I found recently: http://www.shizit.net/alpha/finalFantasy.html It contains some large images that show off the detail in the renders.
~T

Robert Burkes

Second Unit
Everyone seems to be agreeing that the picture quality isn't all it should have been. Why, then, have a lot of review sites given it a perfect score? I'm not questioning you all. I'm just wondering why "professionals" like it, and you all don't. Thanks for the replies!

Rob

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I like to show it to people who are unfamiliar with it and "wow" them with the animation. I agree that the grain and ringing (EE or compression artifacts--which is it on this one?) drop this down a notch from reference material. In terms of absolute picture quality, the best disc in my collection may be The Insider.
Is Final Fantasy a very good DVD? Yes.
Is it reference quality? Not quite.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks