What's new

Films that you fear may NEVER be released on DVD. (1 Viewer)

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
1) Captain Nemo And The Underwater City - I guess Warner owns it now. If they're not releasing it to tie in with Disney's 20,000 Leagues, I can't imagine they'll ever release it. Too bad... MGM would have had it out long ago.

2) Jerry Lewis movies of the late sixties and seventies (like Way Way Out).
Hell, I'm starting to wonder if Paramount will ever release the popular ones!

O Lucky Man! and Valley Of The Gwangi from Warner are also candidates for the eternal "nothing planned at this time" status.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Peter, Lipstick is apparently on Paramount's fall slate. Forgot who but someone posted it here at the HTF a few weeks ago.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Berlin Alexanderplatz

For those of us following the release of Fassbinder's films on DVD, some progress has been made lately. Alas, nobody seems to have plans to release this one.

I'd saw off my right arm for a Criterion.

Brian PB

Supporting Actor

Thanks for catching my errors, Brook. I've updated my post to reflect this & added info on distributors, where known. I purposely didn't list the Ozu titles Criterion is expected to release later this year (Tokyo Story, Early Summer, Floating Weeds). As for Mizoguchi, Home Vision/Criterion would seem to hold rights to most of his major films, though in the arcane world of independent deal-making, there are no sure things.

I was not aware of a potential release of Miracle at Morgan's Creek by Paramount--how likely is that? Days of Being Wild certainly deserves an R1 release (I haven't seen the Hong Kong Mega Star release, but from what I've read, it's not of the greatest quality). I'm aware of the Fassbinder Foundation's work, and excited about Criterion's upcoming Ali: Fear Eats the Soul and a rumored Marriage of Maria Braun. I'll hold my breath for Berlin Alexanderplatz.

Haden

Supporting Actor
The Godfather Saga (aka: The Godfather: A Novel for Televsion). This is the version where Godfather I and II are edited together in chronological order as one huge 5+ hour movie with additional scenes put back in. AMC, Bravo, and the USA Network have all played this a few times, and I'd love to have a nice uncut/uncensored/commercial free widescreen version on DVD since it's the version of Godfather I enjoy watching the most.

Also, I'd love to see the long 3 1/2 hour extended cuts of Waterworld and Far and Away on DVD, but I doubt we'll ever get either one re-released as an extended special edition DVD since neither film was a huge hit at the box office. Both have been shown on cable before, but I'd like uncensored/commercial free widescreen versions.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
BrianPB,

If you like Fassbinder, make sure you also pick up Wellspring's DVD of Fox and His Friends.

I have asked Jon Mulvany many times about Berlin Alexanderplatz and was told that unfortunately it is not being considered for release by Criterion.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I once asked the director of this film about it and he said that he approached FFC about releasing it on DVD.
"HE"?!?!?!
Wasn't the director of "Heart of Darkness", FFC wife?

The Godfather Sage; Yeah, FFC was asked at the time of the Godfather DVD release, if this was a possible future release. The response was, no plans too release GS.
Too bad. As I would love too see this, in proper OAR, of coarse. With the little, commercial break factoids.

In what, six years, 20,000 titles have been released on DVD.
I would think at least half the titles mentioned so far, would see the light of day in the next six years.
Hopefully!

ChrisJefferys

Stunt Coordinator
Surprised no one has mentioned the grandaddies of never-to-be-seen films, Alejandro Jodorowsky's EL TOPO and THE HOLY MOUNTAIN, the rights (at least in the U.S.) are owned by Allen Klein, who hates Jodorowsky and refuses to let the films be seen.
These films have been released on DVD in Italy by Raro Video (R0 PAL) but I don't think they are 100% authorized (they are sold by legitimate European vendors though).

They have also been released in the past on LD and video in Japan, so maybe a DVD release there is possible. I always wondered how the Japanese company that put them out (name escapes me at the moment)got the rights for these (did Klein know about this?)

My list for films that might not appear on DVD would have included Goodbye Uncle Tom, but I was very suprised when I heard that Blue Underground was releasing it (but only part of their "Shockumentary" box set).

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
HENRY V: I second your plkea for CAT AND THE CANARY with Bob Hope.

RIC: I agree that THE SILENT PARTNER needs a DVD release - terrific thriller with the best performances of Elliot Gould and Christopher Plummer.

BROOK: I would also cherish DVD release of THE CROWD and THE WIND, which were on a laser disc double feature, but awfully soft. A sharper image with more contrast would be
welcome.

Barry A

Grip
I'll have to throw in my Errol Flynn swaskbuckling favorites:

Robin Hood
The Sea Hawk
Captain Blood
Against all Flags

Haden

Supporting Actor
Adding more to my list:

- Dune (extended cut special edition with David Lynch's involvement)

- Final Countdown (a decent transfer worth owning on DVD)

- Rocky 2, 3, and 4 special editions (I want my Mr. T commentary!!)

- Superman 2:SE (Richard Donner's original director's cut)

- The 5th Element:SE (with Luc Besson involved)

PatrickL

Deceased Member
Here are 5 I don't think I'll ever see....

Movie Movie
A satire of old double-billed B-movies, starring George C. Scott, Ann Reinking and Harry Hamlin. I get plenty of chuckles out of this thing, but it's never on anyone else's radar.

One A.M.
Jean-Luc Godard, D.A. Pennebaker, Jefferson Airplane. This movie has disappeared and I suspect I won't ever see it anywhere.

High Tide
Gillian Armstrong's fine 1987 domestic drama features a highly memorable performance by Judy Davis.

Come Back to the Five and Dime Jimmy Dean Jimmy Dean
Despite a cast that includes Cher, Karen Black, Kathy Bates and Sandy Dennis (amazing performance) I don't expect to ever see this 16mm Robert Altman feature on disc. The last print I saw of it at a rep house was in horrendous shape.

California Split
This was one of Altman's hits, and one of his best that too few have seen, with George Segal and Elliot Gould as compulsive gamblers. Never released even on vhs. I was told years ago that there are rights issues with the music.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
To me one of Cary Grant's best:

The Bachelor & The Bobby-Soxer very funny flick with Murna Loy, and Shirley Temple.

"mello greetings, yookie dookie!"

"you remind me of a man"
"what man?"
"the man with the power."
"what power?"
etc...you Cary Grant fans will know how great that whole sequence is!

Alas, not even a hint of rumor that this film will ever find it's way to dvd. ( I think it was owned by the former RKO Pictures?)

MikeDE

Second Unit
I second more 3-d releases, plus:

My Little Chickadee
The Mad Magician w/ Vincent Price
Two On A Guillotine (corny, but fun)
Myra Breckinridge
Flight Of The Phoenix

And Re-releases of the Marx Brothers films

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
"you remind me of a man"
"what man?"
"the man with the power."
"what power?"
Huh, Sounds like David Bowie lifted this part to make a certain Labyrinth song:)

"you remind me of the babe"
"what babe?"
"the babe with the power"
"what power?"

Dave Barth

Stunt Coordinator
Brownlow's Hollywood and the Rolling Stones documentary C*cksucker Blues are the two that lept to mind.

There have been many good suggestions made in this thread, but I think, e.g., all of Preston Sturges' films will make it out eventually. Now when exactly can we expect Lubitsch's To Be or Not to Be?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks