What's new

Films that you fear may NEVER be released on DVD. (1 Viewer)

Jay_J

Agent
Real Name
JJ
Originally Posted by rbrooks10 /forum/thread/121107/films-that-you-fear-may-never-be-released-on-dvd/510#post_3650386
If you have a region free player, Inferno is available from Spain in region 2

rbrooks10

Auditioning
Real Name
Rebecca
Thanks for the info about Inferno. I do have a region free player, so I will try to get a copy. I had to do this with the wonderful Waltz of the Toreadors with Peter Sellers. It is a Spanish copy, but plays just fine on my player.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
Any catalog titles that are not on dvd by now are not likely to come out. I read where the number of titles on videotape
are about double the number of titles on dvd. There were a number of small companies that put out films that the majors would not touch like Dark Side of the Moon. Iguess the licensing fees on dvd were uneconomical or the companies couldn't make it It's a shame.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Originally Posted by FrancisP

Any catalog titles that are not on dvd by now are not likely to come out. I read where the number of titles on videotape
are about double the number of titles on dvd. There were a number of small companies that put out films that the majors would not touch like Dark Side of the Moon. Iguess the licensing fees on dvd were uneconomical or the companies couldn't make it It's a shame.
I used to feel the same way about lesser-known stuff not coming out at this point but smaller labels keep popping up with weird titles seemingly every month - they are the underdogs of the business...there will always be movies that people have never heard of that will be worth checking out. As for the major studios, well, I think it is safe to assume that anything that is remotely popular has been released but we do seem to have come to the end of the release cycle. Right now the main focus of the studios is on releasing Blu-ray versions of what is already available.

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
Reviving this old thread...

Ken Russell's THE DEVILS (w/ Oliver Reed); THE MUSIC LOVERS (w/ Glenda Jackson) and also LISZTOMANIA (w/ Roger Daltrey). I wonder why a lot of his films are difficult to be released on DVD or Blu-ray; probably not seen as commercial in this day and age by the studios...

Raul

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc
Originally Posted by Paul Rossen

Ken Russell's THE MUSIC LOVERS

My #1 wanted film of all time, and I keep waiting year after year for a proper DVD release. Maybe it will come out on MGM's new DVD-R program?

neeb

Grip
Real Name
Gabriel
55 Days at Peking- Region 1 with all the bells and whistles (I like Nick Ray movies)

Porgy and Bess by Preminger- because his estate is warped and not very nice

Song of the South- some Disney picture. I'm sure it's the first you've heard of it...

Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm- because the original 3-strip print is lost (!)

The Slender Thread- because only people who love Seattle seem to remember it (though if Paramount ever does a DVD-R program...)

All those Ken Russell movies everyone keeps talking about

Blood on Satan's Claw- Region 1. Underrated. Not as bad as the title suggests and worthy of examination

The Kremlin Letter- seriously, how can there be John Houston movies not available on DVD?

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
Speaking of BLOOD ON SATAN'S CLAW, it's on Turner Classic Movies tonight at 3:45 AM EST. (There's also a good R2 version available from Anchor Bay UK).

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
This thread was started in 2003 when the economy was good and DVD was relevant...shouldn't it be renamed Films We Fear May NEVER Be Released on Blu-ray? Here, I'll start with a few titles I fear won't make it:

Anything from MGM that isn't James Bond
Pre-Starz Anchor Bay oddities like Cemetery Man or Dead End Drive-In
a real Poltergeist Special Edition
a real Beetlejuice Special Edition
an untinkered-with Exorcist Ultimate Edition with both cuts via seamless branching box set including a real SE of the third film

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
an untinkered-with Exorcist Ultimate Edition with both cuts via seamless branching box

That should be announced shortly.

Someone also mentioned Twilight's Last Gleaming
a few posts back. It will eventually get released.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
"Porgy and Bess" will come out some day, people are already trying to come up with the elements.

"The Wonderful World of Brothers Grim" was relased on Video so someday it to may come out on Blu-ray - esp if the neg/print can be spared. I hear different stories from thoose who know.

All the Ken Russell films will come out someday - they're very good and there is a cult following - I would think the studio's are having trouble with "The Devils" which is why a box set has yet to be announced. (add "The Boy Friend" to the list also)

Thanks to the Warner/Universal and now Sony for their on-line only DVRs - many films that were never released will come out as a result of this programs.

don't give up hope

marcco00

Supporting Actor
Real Name
marc
these favorite, must-have missing titles on dvd would really complete my library:

the student prince in old heidelberg '27
call her savage '32
red dust '32
smilin' through '32 (and '41 remake)
bombshell '33
the warrior's husband '33
the girl from missouri '34
the barretts of wimpole street '34 (and '57 remake)
the scarlet pimpernel '35
the hurricane '37
algiers '38
wuthering heights '39
white cargo '42
i married a witch ''42
my gal sal '42
tales of manhattan '42
white savage '43
the sky's the limit '43
cobra woman '44
lady in the dark '44
shine on harvest moon '44
incendiary blonde '45
carmen '45 (france)
forever amber '47
samson and delilah '49
let's dance '50
the egyptian '54
raintree county '57
room at the top '59
hercules '59
summer and smoke '61
a christmas carol '71 (animated, chuck jones)

also all betty grable technicolor musicals not on dvd-that's at least 10 titles right there

and ann miller's b musicals from columbia

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein

That should be announced shortly.

Someone also mentioned Twilight's Last Gleaming
a few posts back. It will eventually get released.
Ron I'm sure The Exorcist will eventually make it to BD at some point but is it going to be the "Last Edition You'll Ever Need" with both versions and no major alterations done to the transfer? An ultimate edition done right is the only way I will triple dip for this. They probably won't even bother including the excellent BBC documentary from the 25th Anniversary Edition

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Luisito34

Ron I'm sure The Exorcist will eventually make it to BD at some point but is it going to be the "Last Edition You'll Ever Need" with both versions and no major alterations done to the transfer?
The rumor is that both versions are going to be included on the Blu-ray in 2010.

Here's a link: http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=3314

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Thanks Travis for the link. I always thought this movie was made for Blu-ray and could potentially become a demo disc worth revisiting if done right, especially with the audio portion of the presentation but a great transfer along with strong audio will seal the deal for me. Personally I prefer the longer cut because it feels like a more complete film so that is why I absolutely need both versions. Great news indeed.

neeb

Grip
Real Name
Gabriel
Originally Posted by Bob Graham

Speaking of BLOOD ON SATAN'S CLAW, it's on Turner Classic Movies tonight at 3:45 AM EST. (There's also a good R2 version available from Anchor Bay UK).
The TCM broadcast is why I mentioned it. Really good movie.

Also...

JOHNNY GUITAR- c'mon Criterion. Whisper the right words in the right ears. Or find some incriminating photos. Or make some incriminating photos. We're way past Queensbury Rules on this one.

THE LAST MOVIE- It's terrible. It's so terrible you have to wonder how it got made and released. This with a Dennis Hopper commentary would be crackers.

SKIDOO- LTBX!!! Same reasons- but this is a lot funnier.

THE GO-BETWEEN- A good candidate for a Sony MOD program if it ever happens.

WINGS- The First Best Picture winner isn't on DVD. What gives?

walter o

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by neeb

The Kremlin Letter- seriously, how can there be John Houston movies not available on DVD?

Didn't Fox initially annouced it, and even recorded a commentary with the Cinema Retro guys?

btw PHOBIA isnt on DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks