1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Film speed in TV shows

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by MikeKaz, Jun 15, 2003.

1. MikeKaz

MikeKaz Well-Known Member

I've always wondered about this- Most TV programming is shot with video cameras. Some drama shows are shot on film then transferred to video. But what exactly do they do to make programming that is shot with similar video cameras look different? For example, a news broadcast looks very crisp and fast moving where a sitcom has a grainier, slowed down kind of look to it. I know the type of lens you use has a major effect on the overall look of programming, but it wouldnt change the apparent frame speed of the material. So do they actually convert say a 30 fps video pogram to 24 or some other number to give it a more filmlike look? And if this is what they do, does anyone have any actual numbers or other information as to what they do to get the desired effect?

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Well-Known Member

There is a technique called "Filmlook" used on many shot-on-video TV shows. I first noticed it on "Cosby"; it mainly seemed to be used to make "exteriors" that were, in fact, shot on a soundstage look different from "interior" shots.

There's also a whole lot you can do with just filters, lenses, and lighting.

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Well-Known Member

I don't believe Filmlook was around for most of Cosby. Actually many sitcoms are shot on film, 24fps, you can tell if by nothing else by how they move. Seinfeld, W&G, Friends all shot on film.

I know we have a camera guy for W&G somewhere on the forum, and they may have moved to HD 24p cameras for the show. Bernie Mac and I believe Malcom in the middle I believe are shot on HD now.

4. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Well-Known Member

Aren't some film-based tv shows shot at 30 fps rather then 24 fps. It gives them an almost video-look.

5. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Well-Known Member

6. Jeff Kleist

I didn't realize it was around as a seperate box. The first time I heard of Filmlook it was as it's current form of a plugin

7. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Well-Known Member

The first time I remember ever noticing a difference in video quality was near the end of the "Growing Pains" series. It always had a soft look to the show (almost like they do on soap operas where it almost has a dream like quality), but near the last few seasons, the image got more crisp and "real" looking. i.e. The image seemed less "altered" than before.

I assumed it must have been a update in cameras, but who knows.

8. Scott L

Scott L Well-Known Member

Dumb question but why are big money makers such as Friends shot on 24fps film? Do they still prefer 35mm to the current HD offerings that are available? Jay Leno and Conan O'Brien are shot on HD cameras. I'd just think digital HD is easier to archive and translate to 60fps TV.

9. Jeff Kleist

I think it's mostly a look thing. Staying consistant. Had they started Friends now it would probably be HD