What's new

Film Noirs in "CinemaScope" (1 Viewer)

flagbrothers

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Perry
It's been a year since I have requested film noir's be released in CinemaScope. Several major studios have heard my cry. Now we have "Black Widow", "House of Bamboo", "Hell is a City" just to name a few. I can't wait for the upcoming title "Pete Kelly's Blues". However there are several titles still missing in action. Remember Warner Bros. 20th Century Fox, Paramount, Universal, Columbia a film noir can be in color and/or in Cinemascope!!! Listed below are titles I am hoping for soon.

Hell on Frisco Bay
I died a thousand Times
Violent Saturday
Tip on a dead Jockey
Slightly Scarlet (released by VCI, however needs to be remasterd by Warner)
Party Girl
The Tattered Dress
The 3rd Voice
Pickup Alley
Dangerous Mission (color not in CinemaScope)
Desert Fury (color not in CinemaScope)
Slaughter on 10th Ave. (VistaVision)

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Consider these widescreen color noirs bought and paid for, the moment they're released on DVD.

I would add Roy Ward Baker's INFERNO (1953) to your list. I've seen it projected twice now and it's a strong, original entry in the genre.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Time for film buffs to get acclimated to color noir.
I didn't say it was CinemaScope. I said it's in color. Since you included a few non-CinemaScope titles at the bottom of your list that are in color, is it okay to include INFERNO, too, Roland?

As for the 3-D ... yes, INFERNO is a state-of-the-art stereoscopic experience, though it has been airing flat ever since 1953. Even as a flat 2-d film, INFERNO is an original and engaging noir. As a stereoscopic film, INFERNO is more than that. You included DANGEROUS MISSION (RKO 1954) as a non-CinemaScope noir in color. Did you know it was also filmed in authentic 3-D? To see DANGEROUS MISSION aired in flat 2-d is a better than average noir in fine IB color, but to see it projected in authentic 3-D is impressive indeed.

In any case, I fully endorse your idea to release color noirs on DVD, even if the 3-D titles are flat. Film buffs are interested in these titles. Right now film noir is HOT. I know they will sell well.

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
I'd hardly call DANGEROUS MISSION a film noir. It's an action/adventure film under the guide of a film noir.

INFERNO, on the other hand, is a noir rose by any other name.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

Sorry Richard. I didn't see the other non-CinemaScope titles listed. I was jsut looking at the thread title. I would love to see the 3-D films released on DVD in 3-D field sequential but, that will never happen.

Jon Lidolt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon Lidolt

I'd love to see those titles in 3-D too. With all of those digital cinemas equipped for 3-D projection, why doesn't Hollywood reissue some of the old classic titles? Especially since they don't have to produce expensive dual 35mm prints anymore. Not to mention that no one I know is excited about digital 3-D since, except for the Disney Hannah movie and the 2 recent and not so great 3-D rock films- everything's been animated.

There's Kiss Me Kate, Hondo, House of Wax, etc. Doesn't anybody at the major studios have an imagination anymore? The theatres need some live action titles - NOW. It's too long a wait for James Cameron's upcoming 3-D flick.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

The problem would be that you would need special equipment to see the field-sequential version and only the 120hz TV's are flicker free.

Jon Lidolt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon Lidolt
Roland, I was thinking of theatrical reissues in digital 3-D format. It would be nice to be able to watch them at home in 3-D, but we can't right now – one day maybe.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

Jon,

You can watch the ones copied from the Japanese VHD's to DVD-R on EBAY or some of the IMAX 3-d films that are in the field-sequential method. Also the Sensio DVD's if you have the Sensio converter which I understand is half price now - only $1499!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks