What's new

Film Noir Tournament (1 Viewer)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I thought film noir mostly dealt with the dark aspects of human nature that mostly deal with detective/investigative stories and what not. They're almost allegories that mainly explore the darker side of human character.

IIRC, most film noir possess anti-heroes, people who may do the right thing (but under corrupt circumstances and maybe for the wrong reason) or may do the wrong thing altogether. This is why I can see The Third Man and The Maltese Falcon. Shades of gray is the best way I can describe it.

Truth be told, let's give Ric Bagoly a chance to defend his selection of The Big Lewbowski as film noir. At least we should hear what he has to say. Personally, I don't think its film noir, but I'd still like to hear his opinion.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Okay, I'm back. :)
Below is the current "in" list as well as a list of current nominations. In an effort to keep this tourney as "pure" as possible, I've done some housecleaning. If you don't see it on the list, it's out. Some of those I tossed were close, but didn't quite have that "noir" feel. And no, I most definitely do NOT consider The Big Lebowski to be film noir. Sorry.
The List
The Big Heat
The Big Sleep (1946)
Blood Simple
Body Heat
Chinatown
Double Indemnity
Gaslight
House of Games
Key Largo
The Killing
L.A. Confidential
The Lady from Shanghai
Laura
The Maltese Falcon (1941)
The Man Who Wasn't There
Memento
The Night of the Hunter
Out of the Past
The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946)
Strangers on a Train
Sunset Blvd.
The Third Man
Touch of Evil
That's 23 - we need 9 more.
Nominations
D.O.A. (1950)*
Force of Evil*
High and Low
The Killers (1946)*
The Killers (1964)
Killer's Kiss
Kiss Me Deadly
The Naked City*
Ossessione
Red Rock West*
Films marked with an asterisk have been seconded and are in need of a third.
Lew, I'm not sure about High and Low - while it does have a noirish feel to it, wouldn't Kurosawa's Stray Dog be a much better choice?
Four more noms, seconds, and thirds for everyone.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
A few suggestions: Anthony Mann's Raw Deal and T-Men, both of which feature delicious noir cinematography by John Alton. Also, The Big Combo and the fine modern noir After Dark My Sweet.

And now I'm off to watch Bogey in Dead Reckoning.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Jan, Thanks!
With so many great noirs from the 40's & 50's I overlooked one of the definitive noir films on my first set of nominations. I was reading a book about the femme fatales of noir in the fall of 2002, and there was a nice section devoted to Ann Savage. It was pretty neat how this film was rediscovered in the '90s, creating a new generation of fans for Miss Savage and Edgar Ulmer's Detour.
- Walter.

Ric Bagoly

Senior HTF Member
Well, basically Gon's decision shows that this tourney means absolutely nothing. I mean, I nominated Lebowski, and two other people agreed with me that it should be in! Cut and dry. No bullshit. No crying. However, since some people don't seem to believe in democracy around here,( :thumbsdown: ) I think this'll be the last damm time I post anything in THIS tournament! Have fun fellas. :D

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Regarding Ric's post:

Well, you and two other people may think The Big Lebowski belongs here, but just as many of us don't. The similarities TBL has to noir are tenuous at best and there are far too many films that deserve to be here ahead of it. Quite frankly, I'm tired of people trying to insinuate their favorite films into tournaments in which they simply don't belong. Sorry to be so cranky, but it gets mighty tiresome after awhile.

List updated.

Okay, after much thought, I've decided to remove Key Largo as well. Sorry.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Steve,

I certainly accept your decisions in this as it's your tournament. Howeve, I am curious. Why eliminate Key Largo?

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Ric,

This is a film noir tourney, not a film that has noirish characteristics tourney. The phrase film noir either means something, or it doesn't. Sorry to be so picky about this; but I'm a huge fan of noir and with so many great films from this category that haven't been nominated, apparently due to their lack of availability on DVD (???), it is difficult to sit back and see films that really don't qualify taking slots in the tourney.

I hope this post doesn't come off too patronizing, but those are my feelings on this tournament and some of the questionable nominations. No offense intended, I assure you.

- Walter.

ErikG

Senior HTF Member
Second (If they make it through the screening):
Dead Again
The Grifters
Insomnia

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I love Lebowski, but it ain't film noir. It's a parody of film noir, just like the previously mentioned (and infinitely more awful) Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid
but looking at some of the other nominees, I think my nomination of The Killing Of A Chinese Bookie probably qualifies.

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
So, is Leave Her to Heaven not okay? Or was it just overlooked?
I'll second Kiss of Death and third Gilda.
Pending approval, I'll nominate A Place in the Sun, Call Northside 777 and The Long Goodbye.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I'll contradict my first post in this thread, and second Leave Her To Heaven. Overlooked it the first time, sorry. I'll also second: Call Northside 777.
- Walter.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
However, I am curious. Why eliminate Key Largo?
Well, as much as I love the film, it doesn't strike me as being particularly "noirish" in tone. I don't know, if we have a problem hitting 32, I may stick it back in. It's an iffy one for me.
I'm also not sure about Se7en and The Usual Suspects. While both are certainly dark and fatalistic, for some reason I've never thought of them as noir. Same goes for The Spanish Prisoner. I'd like to have some opinions on those.
Rob, Notorious had already been nominated but I threw it out. Seems more like an espionage flick than a noir. Don't know about Rebecca. I think I'll keep it in for some variation.
I don't think A Place in the Sun qualifies.
This is a sticky wicket! :)

Users who are viewing this thread