What's new

Film Noir - LIST (1 Viewer)

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
Oh I'm not complaining - just wondering.
Actually could those two I mentioned be possibles for that Critics Choice set that's supposed to come out in July?

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
I hope so, but the problem is that this Critics Choice release was only announced in the Amazon site and nowhere else. And, considering it is supposed to be coming whithin 2 months , it was supposed to be available for preoder in the other sites.
So, I wonder if this projected was replaced for the other 2 film noir volumes, rescheduled for November.

I hope I am wrong. But the fact that later released (screwball, hayworth) are already in those other sites, tells me something is strange.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
There is nothing wrong with In A Lonely Place that would need a new transfer.

Sorry guys, I know ya'll want to support Sony for supporting Noir releases, but if WHV does a double dip, I'd say something so the same holds for anybody else. The price point is underwhelming as well. I can wait.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
While I can understand the gripe about the double-dip titles, I'm really scratching my head over the grumblings about the pricing.

I'm not sure of everyone's purchasing options but I just pre-ordered both sets for $42 each out of pocket, it comes to little over $8 per title.

10 Noir titles on good old fashioned pressed discs for $84. To put things in context - Spend the same money on Warners Archives and you'd be lucky to get 4 titles on burnt DVDR's of (most likely) much lessor quality.

Nothing to complain about from me.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I understand the importing factor John, which is why I stated I was unsure of everyone's purchasing options. ;)

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Other than to complain about the complainers. ;)

Valuation of a purchase is subjective, but comparing it to another purchase (that might be worse) is just rationalizing that purchase. 'It could be worse' is not valid discussion point to someone saying the price should be better.

DVD sales are not dead to me, but it needs to be a bargain. 5 DVD boxsets? I can get those at 34.95 anytime I want at Costco. But the fact is that it needs to be $6 bucks per title to even get my interest. So, any five DVD boxset that double dips one title better come in at @24 dollars. Otherwise, I'll just Netflix titles of interest or get them for free at the local library. It's not a matter of right or wrong on valuation, I'm just sharing my viewpoint.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Love the fact that they are putting out the sets.Hate the fact they are double dipping. Come on , in both cases they could have substituted other films not yet out. In any case i will be buying.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
If it's the only way to get those sets out I have no problem to double dip. In this particular case I have no problem at all because I haven't bought these movies yet and so, I'm completely happy.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Will be preordering them soon.

Right now, I'm just curious what this set is all about: Amazon.com: Film Noir Classics of Columbia Pictures: The Collector's Choice: Movies & TV. Mr. Schlesinger hasn't said anything about it at the other forums and right now it's only listed at Amazon.com and bestbuy but bestbuy is listing the wrong titles - the one for the first Vol. of the November Noirs.

It would be absolutely awesome to have three Noir sets this year from Sony and hopefully one from Warner and may be... Universal will release some noirs as part of their Backlot Series....
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
It is also listed at DVDpacific:
DVD Pacific - Buy New DVD Movies, HD DVD and Blu-Ray discs

I think there are going to be three sets, at first I was a skeptic.

On July 14th the above set will be released, the UPC is:

I believe this set will include:
The Sniper, The Big Heat, Five Against the House, The Lineup, and Murder by Contract

Then on 3rd of November there will be two sets released:
Film Noir Volume 1: 043396306011

I believe this set will include Pushover (1954), Nightfall (1957), The Brothers Rico (1957), City of Fear (1959), In a Lonely Place (1950)

Film Noir Volume 2: 043396319646

No titles have been announced for this set, but it is said to come from a recent film festival of women in Columbia Noir films, which I guess included new prints sourced from preservations / restorations. So it will be 4 or 5 films from those listed here: Series Details

I got the UPC for the first one from DVDPacific and for the second two from DeepDiscountDVD.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
3 sets would be fantastic!!! If true, they would jump back ahead of Warner as studio of the year after Warner took the lead by announcing Wagon Master:D

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
It's odd that there's been no official announcement for the July release. It's only 6 weeks away and nobody knows for sure what it consists of.

If there is a 3rd set and Human Desire is included in one of them I'll be a happy camper.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
I'm confident it is happening. Three boxes, one in July and two in November, appear in this unofficial list, but also, DVDPacific only tend to add things to their website once they are absolutely sure something is coming out. So the fact it is listed there makes me confident it is happening.

The fact we now have 3 different UPCs confirms for me that there will be 3 sets. Before I felt there would only be 2, because 2 sets released on one day in November seemed to be too good to be true.

The naming scheme is a bit strange though. Surely it would've made sense to call the July box Volume 1, and then the November boxes 2 and 3. But who cares, I can live with strange naming schemes if it means more films are released.

BrianRi

Stunt Coordinator
Amazon still has it listed as a July 14 release, although no titles are given, and there is no information as to number of discs, running time, etc. Also, at this time, Amazon is only offering a %10 discount.

Bill:N

Stunt Coordinator
I hope I'm wrong but I have a suspicion that the July 14 release may just be a re-packaging of existing Columbia noirs.

Pete York

Supporting Actor
“Part of The Film Foundation’s goal to preserve cinematic history includes providing access to these restored treasures. We’re happy to be partnering with Sony Pictures to help make available films that have not been previously released. And having renowned filmmakers set them in historical and cultural context is invaluable,” said Margaret Bodde, Executive Director, The Film Foundation.

Grover Crisp, Senior Vice President, Asset Management, Film Restoration and Digital Mastering, Sony Pictures, adds: "With our partners from The Film Foundation, we have selected some of the most iconic and most requested films in our library, and many are debuting on DVD for the first time. We restored these films from the most original source elements and are pleased to present them in newly-mastered versions for the best presentation possible."
Taken from here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks