Film Noir - LIST (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Richard,

Goodness, I just saw this. Sorry about that.

I haven't yet ordered the item, but when I do, I will most certainly post my impressions of the DVD. It is still one of the more memorable films I recall from my youth.

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
I wonder if these titles are the ones we are going to see in the upcoming Noir DVD series from Columbia mentioned this summer by Sony's Mike Schlesinger???? Sounds fabulous!!!! There are even a couple of films in there that I have never seen!

ted:r

Second Unit
1) If these are the one's released on DVD , I will be exorbitantly happy and snap them up in an instant;

2) ...but I long for "Tight Spot", "The Reckless Moment", "5 Against The House", "Nightfall". "Scandal Sheet", "The Sniper", "The Line-Up" and so many others...

By my (very idiosyncracrtically personal) count, there are 5 must have's on the list, 1 gotta have, 3 OK's and and 3 what the hell why not's. Yes, I know, that's nowhere near a bad ratio...and especially hoping there'll be a part 2...so OK, Sony, you have my blessings...go forth and be bountiful...

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
2) ...but I long for "Tight Spot", "The Reckless Moment",
As you may know Ted, both (above) are already on DVD.
Tight Spot from Japan (NTSC) HERE and a UK edition (PAL) HERE. The Reckless Moment (PAL) HERE. This, of course, is barely scratching the surface of all you can get if you aren't region-locked (from your most wanted DVDs in your signature - The African Queen (1951); Johnny Guitar (1954); Shanghai Express (1932); The Tall T (1957) is coming in November in the Boetticher set and The Magnificent Ambersons (1942). I'm sure Irina could champion quite a few alt-region noirs from her collection. I bought a third region-free player 3 years ago from an Asian Mall (for $24) - it still works fine today.
Best,
Gary

ted:r

Second Unit
Gary, I haven't gone region free, basically because of laziness and because there are a ton of Region 1 DVD's I haven't gone through yet. So I am particular to region one releases. As for "The Tall T", DVD's stay on my list until they are actually in my greedy little hands. I've been burned previously by having announced DVD's being pulled ("Becket", "La Dolce Vita", "Panic In Needle Park", "Boomerang!", etc.) Most of them do eventually come out, thankfully, but until they do, on the list they stay.

BTW, my sig is the tip of the iceberg. My actual list is 617 DVD's long :eek:

Fabian Kusch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fabian Kusch
I've been shopping in Spain again.

Lang's HUMAN DESIRE has been reissued there, now by Columbia.
Unfortunately it's not identical to the aforementioned Japanese widescreen version, but represents an open matte presentation of that movie that lacks a bit in sharpness and contrast.

Still, it's a passable alternative for those unable or unwilling to obtain the costly Japanese release.

http://www.dvdgo.com/product.asp?typ...(Sony+Pictures)

Richard M S

Screenwriter
The mention of LAURA in a post on another thread made me wonder what ever happened to the FOX line of film noirs? Each release was so well-produced, with always fascinating extras.

Has the series finished, or has the recession finished the series?

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
Has anyone managed to pick up the recent VCI double bill of Reign of Terror/Amazing Mr X. It was supposed to be released at the end of last month but it's still reading as on order from DVD Pacific. I'd heard they were using better material than had previously been the case. Is it out? Anyone got it? Any reviews?

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
DVDSavant is reporting the following:

I've received a report of a rumor that I believe is probably true: Sony is preparing a really terrific-sounding Noir boxed set, their first. It contains five great titles: Edward Dymtryk's The Sniper with Arthur Franz, Fritz Lang's The Big Heat with Glenn Ford and Gloria Grahame, Phil Karlson's Five Against the House with Kim Novak and Brian Keith, Don Siegel's The Lineup with Eli Wallach and Irving Lerner's Murder by Contract with Vince Edwards. Only The Big Heat has seen a previous release; all of them aregems.
I think this will make a lot of people happy
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Jacqui

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jacqui
Put me down for a purchase as well!! Very exciting news (if it happens)

Speaking of The Big Heat, does anyone know if a documentary has ever been done on Fritz Lang?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks