What's new

Film Noir Custom Covers (1 Viewer)

Porfirio

Second Unit
Wow, those noir covers are fantastic! As for the Warner Gangster covers, it's really hard to decide between the B&W and Sepia. How about both?

Geoffy

Grip
I like the sepia for the Tough Guys set.

The first 8 noir volumes are happily sat on my shelf now - thanks again Ric, these are just great.

Brad Vautrinot

Stunt Coordinator
Fantastic covers, Ric. I like the sepia AND the color versions. Thanks so much for all your efforts.

Regarding modern Noir collections, perhaps naming them "Neo Noir" might fit the bill. These could include movies such as those you mentioned - Chinatown, Body Heat, L.A. Confidential - as well as The Two Jakes, The Black Dahlia, even Blade Runner falls into the Noir category. Other modern Noirs you might consider are Touch Of Evil, Blood Simple, Night Moves (Gene Hackman).

While not modern, let's not forget two classics - Sunset Boulevard and Kiss Me Deadly.

Brad

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
I like the sepia version the best. Also I agree that "prelude to noir" isn't the best title. Unfortunately I can't think of anything better. How about looking for inspiration from one of the existing collections ? A cheap set of PD titles from Sony Wonder (?) is called "Gangsters, Guns and Floozies - the classic crime collection". Something tacky and sensational like that may be just what you need.

-D

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Deepak, I did want the word "Noir" to be featured in the title to loosely tie it in with the main Noir collection. So far, I can't really thing of anything else that looks or sounds better.

Looks like everyone likes sepia so far... keep 'em coming!

Geoffy, glad to hear you have them printed up and on your shelf! You mat be the first (besides me, of course). Are you using the skinny set or fatter one?

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Even though the movies themselves are B&W, I like the color cover the best. I just like that red brick wall background.

If it were me, I would probably just name it "Gangsters and Tough Guys" -- it seems to me that any use of "Noir" that I can think of is awkward. Why is it so important to tie it to the Noir series in the title? I think anybody using these knows the connections.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Glenn,

I did try to make one that just said Gangsters and Tough Guys, but I hated the way my title treament looked with regards to the rest of the cover design. Perhaps I'll give it another try.

And dang! I thought the sepia was gonna be the clear winner!

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Here's a Gangsters and Tough Guys attempt on Volume 2 in both color and sepia. Lemme know if you think it works! If it does, I'll go back and change volume 1

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
If I had Ric's Photoshop skills I would probably work on this myself but anyone else think extending Ric's 6-pak idea to the Hitchcock titles organized in chronological fashion (at least the Hollywood phase) would work ? It sure would save a lot of space (sorry Ric for hijacking your thread).

-D

Vol 1.
Rebecca (2-disc)
Foreign Correspondent
Mr. & Mrs. Smith
Suspicion
Saboteur

Vol 2.
Shadow of a Doubt
Lifeboat
Spellbound
Notorious
The Paradine Case
Sixth disc TBD

Vol. 3
Rope
Under Capricorn
Stage Fright
Strangers on a Train (2-disc)
I Confess

Vol. 4
Dial M for Murder
Rear Window
To Catch a Thief
The Trouble with Harry
The Man Who Knew Too Much
Sixth disc TBD

Vol. 5
The Wrong Man
Vertigo
North by Northwest
Psycho
The Birds
Extra disc from Masterpiece Collection

Vol. 6
Marnie
Torn Curtain
Topaz
Frenzy
Family Plot
Sixth disc TBD

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
No Problemo! Any hijacking is welcome!

Earlier in the thread I mentioned I was using someone else's customs that I converted to thinpaks for my Hitchcock films. They really are quite nice and I don't think I have the heart to lose the original poster art he uses.

However, maybe I'll still try that idea as a new project (I just probably won't use them). I do have a book of Hitch Poster art that I could probably put to good use.

As for Gangsters and Tough Guys, I think I'll go with it after all. I printed up the sepias (first two, anyway) and they don't look bad. I'm just so glad to be getting some shelf space back. I wonder how long it will last?

Geoffy

Grip

I'm using the fat set - can't find a store in the UK that stocks the 14mm cases. Not to worry though, they're still a huge space saver :)

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Geoffy, since I had already slimmed all mine down to thinpaks, I ended up gaining about two thirds of the space back. That's about how much you should save as well, coming from the regular packaging and moving to the inch wide cases!

Anyhoo, the cases (including the "Gangsters" set) are now officially on my site. I'll probably kill the links in this thread after a week or so (to gain some web space back).

I suspect I'll be adding volumes 10 - 12 of the Film Noir set in the next week or so. So check back at RixGrafix occasionally to see if they've been added.

Right now, I will probably add one or two sets for MGM, and the rest are likely to be a hodge-podge from different studios as I keep adding on to my collection.

Thanks for your suggestions and help, guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks