What's new

Film Noir Custom Covers (1 Viewer)

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
As much as I love those covers featuring original poster art on those Fox Film Noirs, they have been taking up an awful lot of space. At first I remedied this by converting them to thinpaks, but as my shelf space has continued to dwindle, I needed to come up with another solution. So here it be...

There will be more to come. These are made for six disc cases that are no wider than a standard keepcase. So 12 movies take up about one inch of shelf space. You can get more info on these covers at this page of my site's forum.

I know there are a few Noir fans around here, so hopefully these will help out a few of you folks. I should have some for actual download with a few days.

Ric

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Ric, those are effing gorgeous. I have two entire shelves devoted to noir, and they're just about full (in fact, the next Warner Noir set will just barely fit), so these covers are a godsend. You rock! (as always)

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Very impressive work.

What do you plan to do about Boomerang? I never did get a hold of that one. I didn't want to pay a premium and read that it would probably come out officially later, but nothing yet.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Thanks guys!

Glenn, I'm listing "Boomerang" (I have it). However, I should probably make another alternate cover that only lists 5 films on the back and omits Boomerang. I'd go for six and carry over to the next in the line, but that would screw up future covers. Or you could suggest a "stray Noir" you might have and I'd slap it on there for you. Probably best though if I just list 5 films for that one.

Anyone know why this one was recalled?

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Ric: PLEASE do not omit Boomerang! I have no doubt it'll be re-released, so folks who don't own it now... well, they will eventually.

Brad Vautrinot

Stunt Coordinator
Beautiful cover art. Am anxiously awaiting the downloads. Please don't omit Boomerang as I received a copy today. I have 96 DVD's of film noir and am becoming in desperate need of space.

Brad

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Don't worry about "Boomerang". I was only going to omit it in an alternate version. The main one will have it. Do you folks know where to get the skinny six disc cases?

GenesysDTP has these, but the discs overlap. I had thought I was on to a company that sold them without overlapping discs... and still the same size as a regular keepcase, but now it appears they pulled the item off their site.

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
Terrific stuff ! Any plans to expand this idea beyond the Fox Film Noir ? Something like that should work for the Warner 5-6 disc sets too (Film Noir, Gangster, etc). Would surely save more space than slimlines.

-D

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Deepak,

I plan on moving to Warner titles and others after I complete volume 4 (which will bring us to Fox Film Noir #24 "Dangerous Crossing) That's why I named the collection Ultimate Film Noir instead of Fox Film Noir (I guess mislabeling the title of this thread doesn't help matters much!). So, with Volume 5, I'll be moving onto the Warner sets. After that, I'll move onto other titles from other studios, like "The Postman Always Rings Twice","Double Indemnity" and "Lady From Shanghai" I may even throw in some Bogey titles like "The Big Sleep" and "The Maltese Falcon". When there are 6 more titles from FOX (they usually release 3 at a time), I'll do another set for them. By that time I'll probably be up to Volume 10 or 11 though.

So depending on what you guys have (I'm mainly doing this for myself, but hoping some of you will benefit) you may have to change the volume numbers.

I figured for the big collectors though, they probably have at least collected all the official Fox and Warner titles they could get their mitts on.

I just completed Volume 3...

For those that hate the standard sized overlapping six disc cases, I may make a wider version for cases with 1" spines. This won't save you as much space though.

I plan on having my completed versions up for download by Sunday evening. With any luck, I will have at least completed Volume 4 by then.

I also plan on doing an offshoot set, tentitively called "Crime and Punishment: The Road to Noir" which will feature the Warner's Gangsters/Tough Guys collections.

Jeff Briggs

Auditioning
Fantastic Ric. After buying DVDs since 2000 it's very easy to run out of space, so I'm really looking forward to your downloads as it sounds like I have all the noirs that you have.
Jeff

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Here's volume 4...

I had to dispense with the Film Noir blurb on the back, because I needed more room for descriptions of the films, but hey, I guess everyone would know what it is by the 4th volume!

To download Volumes 1-4 for the skinny 14mm wide cases click here.

For fatter cases with a 1 inch spine click here.

More covers will be available from my place in the following days and weeks, but I wanted to make these initial ones available.

Here’s a list of the films planned for each volume. The first four volumes contain the first 24 Fox Film Noir releases. Staring with volume five, I move onto the Warner Bros. Noir collections, the first three of which (my vols 5-7) contain the first 3 WB Noir collections, plus one double feature disc from their 4th noir boxset. Still with me? After that it’s a mish-mash including the last 2 WB double features discs.

I realize that some films in these later volumes may not be considered true noir (heck, I have trouble with House of Bamboo), but, I have found them on several “Noir lists”

Volume 1:
Laura
Call Northside 777
Panic in the Streets
House of Bamboo
The Street with No Name
Nightmare Alley

(6 films on 6 discs)

Volume 2:
The House on 92nd Street
Somewhere in the Night
Whirlpool
The Dark Corner
Kiss of Death
Where the Sidewalk Ends

(6 films on 6 discs)

Volume 3:
No Way Out
Fallen Angel
House on Telegraph Hill
Boomerang
House of Strangers
I Wake up Screaming

(6 films on 6 discs)

Volume 4:
Vicky
Shock
14 Hours
Black Widow
Daisy Kenyon
Dangerous Crossing

(6 films on 6 discs)

Volume 5:
The Asphalt Jungle
Gun Crazy
Murder My Sweet
Out of the Past
The Set-Up
Act of Violence / Mystery Street
(double feature disc)
(7 films on 6 discs)

Volume 6:
Born to Kill
Clash by Night
Crossfire
Dillinger
The Narrow Margin
Crime Wave / Decoy
(double feature disc)
(7 films on 6 discs)

Volume 7:
Border Incident
His Kind of Woman
Lady in the Lake
On Dangerous Ground
The Racket
Illegal / The Big Steal
(double feature disc)
(7 films on 6 discs)

Volume 8:
They Live By Night / Side Street (double feature disc)
Double Indemnity (2 discs)
The Big Sleep
Touch of Evil
High Sierra

(6 films on 6 discs)

Volume 9:
Where Danger Lives / Tension (double feature disc)
They Drive By Night
The Postman Always Rings Twice
The Lady from Shanghai
The Night of the Hunter
Dark Passage

(7 films on 6 discs)

Grand total: 58 films in 9 cases (if I did my math right).

These later volumes may be subject to change a wee bit, but right now, that's the plan.

Other films that I own which may be included in future volumes…

I’ve got a 3 disc Special Edition of The Maltese Falcon. Since this mother takes up 3 spaces, it may be paired with more Warner Bros. double feature discs, if they continue to release them that way.

The Third Man (Criterion).

I also have a 4 pack bought at BJ’s Wholesale Club with: D.O.A., Detour, Impact and Kansas City Confidential. I think these were public domain jobbies and I’m not sure if they have (or will be) released again in better editions.

There are also several Hitchcock movies that could be considered Noir, but I’m inclined to keep all my Hitch’s separate.

Hopefully, some of you folks will at least be able to use the first 7 volumes, if you have collected all of the official Fox and WB titles. As for other titles you may want to see included in future volumes, I’m only adding the films I own, but if it’s a good one, I may go grab it, so, suggest away.

I previously mentioned that I wanted to do something Noir-like for the Warner Bros Gangsters/Tough Guys collections. I started playing around with a design for that and here's a preview...

I was originally thinking of calling it something like "The Road to Noir" but since there is no "road" in the design, I scrapped that particular title. I'm also not sure if it's clear what the preview depicts... It's movie posters on a dark brick wall with the shadow of a man with a gun casting over it. Too dark? Stupid as shit? Lemme know what you think!

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
Ric,

Once you get past the Fox Noirs, it will be hard to find groupings of titles that everyone can agree on (I am sure your groupings are based on the titles you own). I see no point breaking up noir boxsets (whether they have 5 or 6 titles) and would settle for scanning the outer box and using that as the cover of the 6-disc case. As for the titles that are not part of Noir boxsets, one possible grouping is based on studio (just a suggestion of course based on my own personal preference - may not make sense for everyone if they don't own the same titles).

Universal Noir (it's a shame how little of the Paramount noir catalog is available on DVD)
Double Indemnity (2-disc)
Criss Cross
Big Clock
Black Angel
This Gun for Hire

Touch of Evil will hopefully get it's own 2-disc release some day.

Columbia Noir
Lady from Shanghai
Big Heat
Gilda
Dead Reckoning
In a Lonely Place
Harder they Fall

Warner Noir 1
Big Sleep
To Have and to Have Not
Dark Passage
Key Largo
High Sierra
They Drive by Night

Warner Noir 2
Maltese Falcon (3 disc)
Postman Always Rings Twice
Angel Face (part of Mitchum set though I bought it separately)
Macao (part of Mitchum set also)

MGM Noir 1
Woman in the Window
Stranger
Kansas City Confidential
Bullet for Joey
Kiss Me Deadly
He Walked by Night

MGM Noir 2
Night of the Hunter
Sweet Smell of Success
Killer's Kiss
Killing
Big Knife
Odds Against Tomorrow

Misc titles
Leave Her to Heaven (Fox)
Niagara (Fox)
Desperate Hours (Paramount)
Sorry, Wrong Number (Paramount)
Strange Love of Martha Ivers (Paramount)
Detective Story (Paramount)
Force of Evil (Artisan)
Body and Soul (Artisan)
Scarlet Street (released by Kino)
Third Man (Criterion)
Killers (Criterion)
Brute Force (Criterion)
Naked City (Criterion)
Night and the City (Criterion)
Thieves Highway (Criterion)
Pickup on South Street (Criterion)
Ace in the Hole (Criterion)
Blast of Silence (Criterion)

the list goes on (Kino and Image have several other noirs I haven't listed) but these are the noir titles I own.

-D

Brad Vautrinot

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Ric,

Thanks ever so much for making these wonderfully done Noir Art covers. I absolutely love the Prelude To Noir cover you made. Perfect, imho.

Deepak, I think you've got something good going there.

Brad

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Guys!

Deepak, I can see you put as lot of thought into your list and I like the way it's organized. But, unfortunately, as I have said before, first and foremost this is a space saving project for myself. I do think it would be great if I could keep each volume from one studio, but as the volumes get higher, that is going to be more and more difficult for me. Plus, I am not sure I want to wait until Fox releases 6 more to be able to include the next 3 (assuming they aren't finished with noir). I am also trying to (at least for now) limit this to releases that most big noir fans would have, hence, me not yet including that 4 pack I have of PD films.

I do see that I am going to have to invest in some MGM Noirs!

Anyway, sticking with my above list (for now) here is the first of the Warners...

You can grab the skinnier one here and the fatter one here.

I'll probably be taking a break from this for the next day or so. For one thing, I only have one more of those thin six disc cases (I'll order more this week). The other reason is, my eyes are getting blurry!!

Maybe I'll head off to Amazon and pick a few off of Deepak's list.

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
Ric,

I am not sure I will be using the Warner covers but great work on the first one !

I added two color noir titles to my list that I missed before (from Fox released outside of their Noir line).

I know you mentioned Hitchcock - any plans to make up covers especially for the 15-disc masterpiece collection ? I was thinking of scanning the 4 cardboard cases that the big velvet box contained and printing them out as covers to go with quad cases. I think someone had come up with individual covers for all the Hitchcock titles available (regardless of studio) but I am looking for something that would work with the space-saving multi-disc cases.

-D

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Deep,

There is a guy over at Replace the Case, that has made a bunch of Hitchcock covers with original or alternate poster art. I converted all of his to thinpaks. Though, I went back to that big velvety Masterpiece box when it came out. I still use the thins on all of Hitch's other flicks.

EDIT... I was just over at RTC and the guy i was talking about with all those Hitchcock covers is Nausica. However, :since their latest update over there, i find it very hard to search for a group of covers by an artist's name. Here's a page from his own place where you can at least get a look at them. Like I said, I made thinpaks out of a bunch of them. I made all the spines similar so that they all looked like part of a set.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I've never printed custom covers before, but I think I may have to do at least these Fox Noirs as I'm running out of space. I have a capable printer, but any recommendations on the proper paper to use? Is there a thin/flexible glossy photo type paper that is ideal?

Also any tips on setting up the page to print, etc., would be appreciated.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Doug,

A friend of mine sent me several "clear" ones. They came all the way from Austrailia. Recently he thought he found a site here in the US that was selling black ones 5 and 6 disc cases) but you had to order 100 at a time. So we decided to split the cost. Well, when they arrived, they were not what was advertised. They were the "overlapping" kind that are available at a few other places. Since then, the company has pulled the item from their site (since they never really had 'em to begin with).

So, it appears that now, to get the real skinny cases, you have to settle for the kind that overlaps the discs. I've always had good luck ordering from GenesysDTP, and will probably continue to do so. Besides, you only have to order 10 at a time!

They also sell the fatter 1" wide cases that I use for many of my cover sets.

Glenn,

I always use glossy photo paper because it helps with contrast and usually makes the images just look more professional.

To print, you will need paper that is longer than letter size (11 inches). Legal size is ideal... the problem is that no one makes a nice glossy photo paper in legal size (14" long). So, here is what I do. I buy glossy photo paper that is 13x19". Then I go to Kinkos to use their big paper cutter. I cut each sheet into two 8.5x13" inch sheets. So a pack or 20 sheets will get you 40 covers with minimal waste...

I usually use the "Print with Preview" feature within Photoshop to set up my printing preferences. This way I can put a 5 point black border around the cover (easier for cutting) and also set it up for horizontal mode, photo quality and so on.

However, you shouldn't need to have Photoshop to print these up correctly. The important thing is to make sure you do not have anything checked that would resizze the image, like "Print to fit media" or "Borderless prints"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks