What's new

Film Noir Classic Collection Vol. 3 in slim cases? (1 Viewer)

JimKr

Stunt Coordinator
The real headscratcher here is that I also ordered the Warner "Tough Guys" collection at the same time. I do believe the release date is similar to the Film Noir Vol. 3 set, yet the tough guys are in the older thicker cases.

Very odd, unless these are also going to be retailed individually.

Mark Philp

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
I think it all comes down to cost. I believe that cases are made from a petroleum product and we all know where the price of gas has gone, so it makes cents (spelling intended) that they find a way to shave costs. I think we'll see a lot of thin cases in the future from many companies.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Some of you may not know there is an entire subculture of members here who have already been converting their collections into slim cases on their own. Look HERE! My entire collection save a few digipacs and collector editions has been entirely transferred to the thinner cases. Practically speaking the standard amaray cases are much wider than they need to be. The double amaray cases are incredible space hogs given what is needed to get the job done--safe, easy storage of dvds and their supporting paper material (inserts/booklets/etc.)

I say bring on the slim cases for ALL titles. The space savings on home shelves is HUGE!

The thread referenced above details all the trials and tribulations of "taking the plunge" and will answer any questions about what to do with the old cases, various ideas on how to convert coverart for the thinner cases, etc.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
The titles on the Noir Volume 3 spines are tiny.... but then again, I don't really need to pick one from across the room either.

The Hitchcock Masterpiece set that came out last year featured horrible 4-disc cardboard sleeves inside a very nice velvet box. It was discovered that 15 slimlines fit perfectly inside the box, so several folks set about converting that particular set. I started, but never quite finished. One of these days.....

AlexHL

Stunt Coordinator

Me, too, I'm suprised to hear about this news.

But I applaud the switch to slimline cases. I wish they did it with the Wayne/Ford-set as well.. it's frickin' huge.

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
This is slightly beside the point, but does anyone have a list of titles that were originally released in snapper cases and have subsequently been repackaged in keep cases? I'm not talking about actual reissues of titles in keep cases, such as the recent John Ford movies - just any instances where the packaging has been quietly changed without any publicity.

I believe 'American History X' and 'Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me' might be two titles in this category, but I'd welcome confirmation of those plus any others that people are aware of.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Look HERE. Seems like it hasn't been updated recently. I think some of the titles in the Bogie & Bacall collection would also fall into this classification. Key Largo, for example.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks