What's new

Film Flam Man needs to be on DVD before I die of old age (1 Viewer)

widescreenforever

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
arthurjulius
Wanted to point out that the 1967 20th Century Fox film The Film Flam Man starring George C Scott and Michael Sarrazin has never see the light of digital media. No laser discs were ever made, and now in its 8th season, no DVD either. This wonderful panavision comedy, and cast along with an excellent soundtrack by Jerry Goldsmith is just crying out to be made in 5.1 surround and 2:35.1 widescreen.
All prints on TV are purple in texture, and the VHS, though as good as we can get now, is full screen. I have heard rumors that AMC has run this film in widescreen. But AMC doesn't reach all the populace in every region on cable TV. I have written many letters on different forums and also to Fox themselves, but never a peep from the studio when a DVD may be in the works. Can others like yourself,, help me and others like me, to get this gem on video in proper form??

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
I've also been wanting THE FLIM-FLAM MAN on DVD, in proper widescreen, for many years now. Prior to that, it was high on the want lists I would periodically mail to Fox in the laserdisc days. Whether it be a studio release, or licensed to Anchor Bay or Criterion, I say, bring it on, Fox! :emoji_thumbsup:

Benn

Stunt Coordinator
I'll add my voice to the plea:
"Give us FLIM-FLAM MAN in this lifetime, please."

widescreenforever

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
arthurjulius
OK I got some goods on this movie,, but need some help from others.
This past Sunday the 14th The Fox Movie Network on satellite ran this 1967 film in letterbox and Dolby surround ( or was it 5.1 ? )..,, now I see it will be repeated on the 15th of Feb. 4 a.m. .,, Great if I could get it without a satellite dish and I don't even know if the Canadian CRTC allows this channel into Canada anyway.,,
But what I want to know, is: The genie has been let out of the bottle at this point., Will 20th Cent Fox be distributing this film on DVD soon or will the rights of the film now be allowed to play say TCM or Movie Central ???????

Does any one know ?????????????????????????

widescreenforever

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
arthurjulius
Well today for fun I decided to see on the internet if there has been any change to this subject and lo and behold I found it has been released - but not by Fox but by ' Screen archives Entertainment ' .. Only thru Amazon and only 3000 copies available (since Sept 8th 2011) .. Got my order in right away and am looking forward to what the article here says Widescreen Panavision ( 2.35:1) along with isolated Music score of Jerry Goldsmith's fabulous musical score ..

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by widescreenforever

Well today for fun I decided to see on the internet if there has been any change to this subject and lo and behold I found it has been released - but not by Fox but by ' Screen archives Entertainment ' .. Only thru Amazon and only 3000 copies available (since Sept 8th 2011) .. Got my order in right away and am looking forward to what the article here says Widescreen Panavision ( 2.35:1) along with isolated Music score of Jerry Goldsmith's fabulous musical score ..
If you had purchased it off the Screen Archives site you would have been able to get it for $19.99 and not $22.99. The reason you got it through Amazon is that it went to Amazon Marketplace and while you did purchase it from Screen Archives, you were up charged for going through Amazon Marketplace. The film is Widescreen anamorphic and a very good transfer. I would suggest to bookmark the Screen Archives site for they are releasing one classic Fox title per month along with one classic Columbia title per month in Blu-ray. While not every film is got to have, they are a pretty good group of titles and a check it every so often to check what's new.

widescreenforever

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
arthurjulius
Good to know for any future purchases .. as I have already gone thru Amazon.com and placed this order .. I have bookmarked and will watch for future releases ... Theoretically there has not been too many titles on Hiatus from the Vaults - but interesting to read in your post about Columbia Video joining forces here with Screen Archives.. Because Lately Columbia Pictures has been cutting back on anamorphic widescreen releases and opting for full screen 5.1 releases of titles such as Annie (1982) ..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks