1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

FFXI and HDD details announced

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Morgan Jolley, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Well-Known Member

2. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Well-Known Member

Interesting, pre-installed is a good thing. I have the beta and it tooke a bout an hour just to install it, not to mention then it had to patch it [​IMG]

I wonder how this will work for us beta testers, since we're told we get a free retail HDD when we return our beta drives.

3. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Well-Known Member

Sounds interesting. I'm wondering if it's any good though. A friend of mine who is a beta tester was -very- unimpressed, to the point of saying it sucks. And he's a die hard FF fan. However, I'll probably withhold judgement until reviews of the final release are out.

4. Chris Duran

Chris Duran Well-Known Member

Way to expensive, not that many games are going to support the hdd anyway, the only other game I know of is Resident Evil Online. Plus you have deal with the monthly fees just to play which will more then likely be $10+. This game would be perfect for the XBOX, already has the HDD.

5. Morgan Jolley

The monthly fee is $12.95 according to GameSpot.

$100 for a game AND the HDD is a sweet package. Add in a free month of FFXI, then $12.95 beyond that, and it doesn't look too bad if you enjoy the game. The thing is, FFXI is not like any of the other FFs, so the die-hard audience in America might not catch on.

OTOH, I know people who want the game even though it's not like the others in the series.

I still want to hear more about FFXII.

6. JamesH

JamesH Well-Known Member

$12.95 is CRAZY expensive for one month of one game when you've already paid money for the game itself.

7. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Well-Known Member

$12.95 is pretty much the standard monthly fee for MMORPGs nowadays.

8. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Well-Known Member

Meh, I'm skipping out on this one. I don't love FF that much.

9. JamieD

JamieD Well-Known Member

I have Final Fantasy 1-3 and 7-10 (North American numbering), Tactics, Anthology, Chronicles, Origins, Mystic Quest, Legend, Saga, you name it, if it's Final Fantasy and available here, I have it, including several sets of figures, soundtracks for all the PSX/PS2 games, and a few art books.

I'm not buying this game. I cannot justify that kind of expense, nor that kind of portion of my life. MMORPGs are not really my bag to begin with, but to end up spending (probably) 140 or so Canadian, plus (to be fair, I'll say) $15 more to play? And get a HDD that no other developer seems all that interested in, from a company whose current console's design was problematic at best? No thanks, I like being able to make my car payment, which won't be much higher than the initial payment to get this game.

10. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Well-Known Member

11. John-Miles

John-Miles Well-Known Member

ah but the real kicker is 12.95 a month, plus 1 dollar extra for every character you have above the default of one???? damn that bits, i wouldn't buy into that unless they paid me.

12. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Well-Known Member

Sounds like they are simplifying the issue that Star Wars has currently. Everquest allows you to play up to 10 characters(not at once) per server to let you try them out. I would assume Square soft is going to allow you to delete your character to try another out otherwise I really don't see this taking off especially for console gamers.

13. Kenneth Cummings

Kenneth Cummings Well-Known Member

I love Final Fantasy, fan of the series since the NES, but I can't get this. It not that I don't online gaming, as you can see in my signature that I am on XBox Live. But not with monthy fees for a different verison of Final Fantasy that will not be as fun of the older games. I stick with FFTA or FF:CC instead.

14. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Well-Known Member

SWG gives you 1 character per server, and charges $15 a month... collectors edition was $70 and it's WAY more buggy then FFXI....

The money issues are more or less moot, if you like the game you will pay ... period [​IMG]

FFXI is interesting, it's VERY VERY group oriented. My problem with the beat is there just wasn't enough people in it yet, so I had issues finding groups (my main class is white mage... not so good at soloing)

It's got the harshest death of any MMORPG out there, which again will appeal to the die hard gammers. The world is huge, is very much like the other FFs where if you go some area too soon you get your ass handed to you on a plate [​IMG]

Overall FFXI is very bug free, and offers a game different then that of SWG, EQ, DAOC, and UO. It's one of the few games that allows and rewards you for making an UBER character. High levels take a LONG time to gain, but some of the stuff I'd seen (I created a character the first day the US beta went live, before most people even had their HDDs) from even the mid lvl 20 characters was impressive! I stopped playing when I was 17 or so, because finding groups that were not full of whiney kids was a PITA. 90%+ of people I met during the beta were teenagers who cared more about talking smack about other players then forming a good cohesive group.

All this talk about FFXI makes me want to fire up my copy and see how the game has changed over the last 6 weeks (though I'm sure i've got a mega patch to DL first)

Anyway, that's my rant. FFXI is making money in Japan... there are a LOT of people who import it and play on those servers. It's offering the chance for people who want to play a new MMORPG and don't own a fast computer to play (this was the excuse of most of the PS2 owners I played with, I just registered for the PS2 beta and my wife registered for the PC beta, I got in. she didn't)

Basically FFXI is an interesting game, it won't interest everyone (if you want to craft this is NOT the game for you.. the crafting system is hair pulingly crazy!) but for some people it's just what they've been waiting for.

O, and don't forget... there is a PC version too... it still requires a hard drive... but funny thing.. I think most people with a PC have one [​IMG]

Brian

15. Morgan Jolley

16. Peter Manojlovich

Peter Manojlovich Well-Known Member

17. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Well-Known Member

Sony mentioned at Gamers Day today that GT4 will support the HD for "downloadable content" (not specified). So that's three games confirmed to support it so far, not including FFXI (the other two are SOCOM II and Syphon Filter). Not that bad really.

18. Morgan Jolley

And if you want, you could get the PC version, which is probably half the price of the console version and with the same monthly fee.

19. JamesH

JamesH Well-Known Member

20. JamieD

JamieD Well-Known Member