What's new

Female Terminators? (1 Viewer)

Scott Dill

Stunt Coordinator
Sure, a female terminator is just a silly gimick because they are out of ideas, but I don't understand the complaints from a continuity standpoint.
The formula for any sequal to a film of this type requires that the new machine be better than the last and the last one could morph into any shape it wanted. In fact, The T1000 did take the form a woman on (Conner's foster mother) in T2.
P.S. I doubt that I'll be seeing this....in the theater at least :)

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
I don't like the idea of the "Terminatrix".

To me, the Terminator series really dealt with the character of Sarah Connor. The first film she was a naive girl with everyday expectations which were shattered once she is told about the future. The second film shows her as a strong-willed person who strongly believes that the world is doomed, but she is trying to keep her son alive so that he can one day save the human race. She then takes on the terminator image by trying to change the future herself and realizes this. By the end of the second film, Sarah is now convinced that she had indeed changed the future and more than likely welcoming an unknown future and the possibilities that lay ahead.

I would have loved to seen the series take the approach of showing Sarah enjoying this "unknown" future, yet still be haunted about what could have been especially when Judgement Day is nearing. I wanted to see how she would deal with realizing that she had not changed the future afterall and what she did wrong (so to speak) to still have it come about. Who would she tell? How could she prove it? How can she stop it from actually taking place? I can't imagine a bigger climax than coming down to the final days before the defense computer takes over. Because now instead of having to deal with local law enforcement, she is now dealing with the federal government.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
..And I don't buy the whole "Women make better fighters, so female terminators will kisk more ass.."
Huh?! The Terminators are machines. They don't have a 'gender'. Just because they look like a man or a woman should be of no significance. All of the Terminators should act pretty much the same, at least out of the box. :)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I see nothing wrong with a female terminator.

The reason action flicks with women often look silly is because they portray women with small, thin bodies (obviouisly chosen for their attractiveness) doing things that would just be physically impossible, like flying across the room and throwing guys around. This would not be a problem with a cyborg, however. The T1000 was small and thin, but was as strong as the first Terminator.

From a story standpoint, it makes perfect sense to have a female terminator. The whole point of the Terminator cyborg is to infiltrate- disguise themselves as humans.

For the first movie, they thought making Arnold the main character. They decided to make him the Terminator, even though it deviated from the original plan of making him completely fit in with humans. In the next movie, the T1000 is more human-like and harder to differentiate from humans. So, for a third movie, they take it a step further- after all, who would expect a female cyborg?

Nitpick: Reese didn't say women were the "best fighters," he said they were good fighters. It was to highlight the sad fact that people in his world didn't give much thought to sexuality.

The thing that bugs me about it is that Cameron isn't directing it. I'm not a Cameron fan by any means, but I do like the Terminator movies, and he did a bang-up job. It really is, in a sense, "his" movie. And no Sarah Conner? I guess it makes sense- she was the focus in the first movie, but had to start giving way to her son in the second. Maybe the third will show John Connor all grown up and kicking ass?

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Female terminators, huh? I've dated a few of those. :D
Hmmmm, Emmanuelle Beart should play the role - she'd make a formidable terminator. I mean, just one look at that beautiful countenance and even the most hard-boiled veteran would go weak in the legs...

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
The only wrestler that I've seen that maybe, maybe could pull off the part of a cyborg is Goldberg.

Well, check out "Universal Soldier: The Return", and you can find out. Personally, I didn't think he did a good job (but the movie was crap anyway).

I think a female terminator in itself will do nothing for the movie, good or bad. It's how they'll use her.

I agree that "Long Kiss Goodnight" was a good (IMO it was better than good, it was great) action movie with a female lead. And of course, we have the ultimate action movie: "Aliens".

Also, I could have sworn I read somewhere that Linda Hamilton had changed her mind and is now back in T3.

/Mike

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
(LUNATIC GAMBIT IDEA)
With the mentions of Geena Davis and her movie "Long Kiss Goodnight" (which I loved, by the way), how's this for an idea:
Once Geena Davis has her baby (she's currently pregnant, as you know), she could go into a major training regimen to get back into shape and then...BOOM! We have our Terminatrix!
Sincerely,
John "I think it's a good idea...if it goes through, we get to see Geena Davis in leather!;)" Kilduff

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
Dalton,
Unfortunately, the answer to your question is no.
Poor Linda Hamilton. She's still being pestered about "Terminator 3" inquiries long after she announced she wouldn't do it.
Empire Online (http://www.empireonline.co.uk) reports that Linda Hamilton, who played Sarah Connor in the first two "Terminator" films, thought that the script wasn't right for her.
"I read the script and it didn't take my character in any new directions," Hamilton tells The Independent. "The film is really about turning the baton over to Sarah's son John, played by Eddie Furlong. It's Eddie's movie - and Arnold's. It was like a no-win situation for me."
Hamilton also mentioned that despite her divorce from former Terminator director James Cameron, she still would have preferred to work with him. "Without Jim breathing the breath of life into the film? No, thank you."

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I agree that "Long Kiss Goodnight" was a good (IMO it was better than good, it was great) action movie with a female lead
I agree. It's amazing to me how many people have not seen this movie. I just didn't like the little flashbacks she was having. I didn't think they were necessary because you know something was up with her past anyways. They were kinda cheesily done, too. But other than that, the movie was awesome.

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
Female Terminators? Who cares. This whole idea behind the movie is crap. I love Arnold, but he is way too old to be playing the Terminator again. It's been nearly 20 years since the first, and need I remind you, cyborgs don't age!

And without Cameron's involvement, I think this has about a 2% chance of being any good.

Has there ever been a good "action women" film?
La Femme Nikita and Aliens are two that come to mind.

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
From what I've read so far regarding Terminator 3, I'm not very optimistic concerning this latest venture.
I think that it's going to flop big time. T3 already sounds like crap. Add to that the fact that Cameron hasn't signed onto the project and you'll pretty much get nothing more than a really bad movie. Again, I hope I'm wrong, but IMO, Cameron not doing T3 is pretty much the final nail in the coffin for the film. It's just not a Terminator film without Cameron. :angry:

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Well, that movie was crap from the beginning. And his role didn't require him to do much other than grunt and fight, which he does very well. He was better in Ready To Rumble, another crappy movie. I don't know if he can do it. I do think he'd be far better in that role than any other wrestler. I've met him once, and he's one hell of an imposing man. Went to school with him at the same time he did, at UGA. But never met him while in school. Who knows! Not really interested in this film. But my response about Goldberg was in regards to Scott Steiner trying out for a part.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I have no problem with a female terminator just as long as they don't cast her based on looks and bust size. WTF does that have to do with being a killing machine? That is also why there are very few if any female action stars that we can list. They all are based on sex appeal and then when we see them throw a person across the room it just doesn't look realistic.

If I was the casting director, first question I would ask: Do you have breast implants?

Yes? Sorry, we won't be needing you.

There goes most if not all of your wrestling women.

Best part of T2, Sarah Connor was buff and they showed how she got that way. She was completely believable and human. Now let's see how believable they can make a female machine.

Charles S

Agent
This is an interesting thread....
First, I'll say the very idea of a T3 makes me cringe!
I first heard rumors about this a few years ago and thought it was a horrible idea, and I still think it's a horrible idea!
I mean I'm a big Cameron fan, as well as a fan of Arnold, but geez...this is like beating a dead horse! T2 had the perfect ending IMO....where each side can read the ending as they wish! I for one like to think they changed the future...but if others like to the think otherwise, thats cool too! That's what was so great about the ending! (the theatrical ending not that "hidden ending")
but, if they're really gonna go through with it, and go further and have a female Terminator, my first pic would an obscurely known actress named Hudson leick! She's extremely feminine, and she has an intensity level like few actresses I've seen, and can play the badass villain quite well! (and no I'm not talking about her 2 minute role in 'Chill Factor')
I see alot of complaints about seeing feminine women play action heroes, because it's not beleivable....but this kind of role wouldn't matter, cuz a terminator is a cyborg, as was pointed out before!
Chyna would be a horrible choice IMO...cuz as cool as she was a couple years ago, she never could act! her promos in wrestling were very weak, and thats why for the first 3 years she was in a major promotion she didn't talk, and when she did, people no longer believed her on screen character...
Goldberg never cut a critically acclaimed promo on a wrestling show either...which is why they wouldn't let him talk the first year he was on WCW...so I have serious doubts about his acting ability!
I don't think any wrestlers should have a major role in a Terminator movie....for alot of reasons, which I wont go into here, cuz they're pretty much Off Topic!
However I do think Rock with some training could be a decent actor, his promos in wrestling are excellent, and he's open to "learning" new things! (still I dont think he should be a terminator)...just because someone is a "wrassler" doesn't mean they're stupid or can't act!
And oh, Alien and Aliens are both good action women's movies! And I think Ripley was feminine enough...especially in the first Alien!
I really can't think of any others though.....

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Charles, I don't want to be the Goldberg defender on here, but Goldberg has a degree from Georgia and is very fluent. He speaks as well as anyone. If you've heard him you'd realize that. You make him sound like he can't even speak two words. Just because he didn't cut those silly ass promos that Rock does, which by the way have gotten annoying, doesn't mean he could be good in the right role. He could have done the original Terminator role as well as Arnold did. But that role didn't take any acting ability. And cutting a promo on a wrestling show is a far, far cry from acting. And the one thing he's been smart on is he didn't make the mistake of being in roles in which he had to carry a film. A career can ride on that. As for Goldberg and promos, he's given a number of good promos. But his character was that of an unstoppable monster, and his early promos reflected that. In the right role, he can be good. But I don't think he needs to take a lead role in a film, ala Rock. He's been very good though in the three commercials he's done.

As for Rock, he has no business leading a film, even one that looks as bad as Scorpion King. And from what I've seen of Scorpion King, his career is over as soon as that bombs big time. I've seen low budget B movies that look better. Rock couldn't even yell convincingly in Mummy Returns. He's a great entertainer in wrestling, but he better not quit that anytime soon in hopes of being the next big action star. No wrestlers should. I've seen none that can be the next big action star.

Quite frankly, it would suit me if wrestlers just wrestled and actors act. I don't mind them in smaller roles, but leading roles, no way no how.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I liked Goldberg's promos very much, his style was something unique. The only bad part of his promos was the "You're next," which comes off weak no matter how one says it; it would've been better had he said, "You are next." I haven't seen his realy acting abilities, but he does have a great look for a terminator.

On the other hand, I think Scott Steiner has the look and acting skills to pull off a part in this type of movie.

Chyna hasn't demonstrated that she can act. If they keep her character silent most of the time like the T1000 then it could work.

~T

Charles S

Agent
Hi Terrell,
And cutting a promo on a wrestling show is a far, far cry from acting.

This is true....and I didn't mean to make it sound as if simply because someone can cut a good promo in wrestling means they're destined to be the next big movie star! However, it is still acting to a small degree and IMO if a wrestler cannot even cut a decent, believable promo, then what chance do they have of acting in a decent role?
I guess I never bought into any of Goldberg's promos...I didn't believe that he believed them, and if he doesn't believe what he is saying, then how can I believe him in any acting role?
I will give him the benefit of the doubt however...and say that with the working environment he did have when he was wrestling (which was absolutely horrid) I certainly do not blame him for many mistakes he might have made....and like Rock, Goldberg is willing to learn new things!
As for Rock's movie...I saw one trailer for it, and I thought it looked decent...of course all the trailer had was some cool fight sequences, so thats not a good judge of whether the thing is any good or not! (look at the Mummy 2, which had a cool fight sequence, but we all know what everyone thinks of that movie...LOL!)
BTW, I'm not some big Rock mark or anything....nor am I anti-Goldberg, just calling it like I see it!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks