What's new

Female Singer with the Most Beautiful Voice? (1 Viewer)

Dennis

Second Unit
Some impressive names mentioned.
I like the fact that Martha Wash has been brought up. She is very underrated considering the popularity of the style of music (Pop/R&B) she's involved in. A shame that her outward appearance (she's overweight) prevents her from getting the noteriety she deserves. Considering the high visibility of the artists in her genre you can understand, to a point. I just hope she keeps collecting the royalty checks.
Here are some not yet mentioned:
Bette Midler
Kiki Dee
Jody Whatley
Nicolette Larson
A couple of 1-2 hit wonders in there but that's not the point of the thread.
I'll save the best for last:
Roberta Flack
Dim the lights and put on First Time Ever I Saw Your Face.
Warning: May be harmful following a breakup.

Michael Hughes

Second Unit
The dear departed Eva Cassidy was one of the great voices of our time, if you do not have any of her work start with Songbird. Her range and interpertation was incredible.

Greg_C_T

Second Unit
Norah Jones-- I swear, no other artist moves me like she does with her voice. Somebody came up with a "Tribute to Norah Jones"--basically a remake of her debut album...you can check out samples on amazon.com and it really reinforces how special Norah's voice is.
I've been recently enjoying Diana Krall and Jane Monheit, but Norah just does it for me.
I'm getting great ideas for new artists from this thread!

Stephen_Opipari

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stephen
IMHO, the most stunning female vocalists...

Lisa Gerrard

Billie Holliday

Ella Fitzgerald

Kate Bush

Anneli Drecker (who I wasn't thinking about till someone else mentioned her)

Claudia Brucken (Propaganda, ACT)

Anna Domino

Victoria Lloyd (Claire Voyant)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Forty years ago this past summer I "discovered" Martha Velez singing at the Gate of Horn in Chicago. She was with a folk group, the Gaslight Singers, at that time. Very impressive, she had a great voice and was drop dead yummy.
I bought one of their Mercury albums and didn't think much more about her until she was presented as a "New Artist" in 1969. Her first headlining record was recorded in England with many the best rock people of that time (including Eric Clapton) backing her.
Shortly after that I found her in Woodstock N.Y. and we became close enough for me to have her as a guest on my radio show in the Hudson Valley. During the next few years she released a series of albums on Sire.
And then it was over.
Martha has done a few TV and movie roles. There is a "Greatest Hits" CD
As many others in this thread know, not all of the greats find real fame.

Jason Garrett

Stunt Coordinator
I totally missed listing Patsy Cline in my list - I was only thinking of contemporary artists. I suppose I don't listen to much else, but I do have a couple of Patsy discs.

I see a few mentions of Shirley Manson... I was into her big a few years back. She's got a disc with a band called Angelfish from before Garbage in case you guys didn't know. I like her voice as well. I dig Ani Difranco too and I'm glad to see her listed.

I love this group for bringing up the female vocalists. I've been a big fan for some time, but none of my friends are into it. Love the suggestions and I'll have to make an effort to check some of them out.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I see a few mentions of Shirley Manson... I was into her big a few years back. She's got a disc with a band called Angelfish from before Garbage in case you guys didn't know.
She's got a few discs before even Angelfish with Goodbye Mr.Mackenzie, but I'm sure you knew that ;)

Jason Garrett

Stunt Coordinator
Nope Brian, I sure didn't! I was surprised to find an Angelfish disc as a matter of fact. I'll have to look around for the REAL early stuff. Seriously, I thought Angelfish was her first band - I do remember reading an interview where she said her mother wasn't as pleased with her group's name Garbage after the other group Angelfish. That was a few years ago, I hope that my memory isn't betraying me. Thanks for the heads up!

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I should note that she wasn't the lead singer - it's a male singer with her & another girl on backing vocals really. But it was still her first "big" band - they had a good following in Scotland back in the day.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Joseph J.D. mentioned

Mariah Carrey - (her best work is her earlier material.)
I agree. Mariah can be shockingly good when she makes an effort at it. Her "MTV Unplugged" album would be a perfect multi-channel hybrid SACD. And it's on Sony.

A female vocalist that's shockingly good in another language....Teresa Teng. Without a doubt, the biggest selling Chinese language singer ever, her voice (and music) has grown on me in recent years. In my younger years, I viewed her music as "old people's music". Now, her voice just melts me. Best of all, her music is available on SACD and XRCD from Hong Kong Universal.

MarkRose

Grip
Here's a vote for some of the great folksingers:

Joan Baez

Laura Nyro

Joni Mitchell

Buffy St. Marie

Also if one were going to purchase their first Sarah MacLachlan CD, which would you recommend?

kamyiu

Stunt Coordinator
elizabeth fraser from the cocteau twins

tracyanne campbell from camera obscura

johnette napolitano from concrete blonde

MikeDeVincenzo

Stunt Coordinator
Tori Amos, not just for the siren-like quality of her voice (She literally almost was a siren for me last November -- I nearly got killed several times driving home from a show in Wallingford CT, heading back to New Jersey in the teeth of a Nor'Easter. However, I had 3rd row seats, dead center, and the eye contact she made with me several times whilst I was rocking out in my seat is something I wouldn't trade for ANYTHING in the world), but for what she says with it.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I just started a thread with some Happy Rhodes tour dates. I mention this because I know that some people get updates via e-mail and don't check the forum. This is a very rare event (in a 17-year career, she's never toured, just played one-off dates here and there, usually on the East coast).
Anyone who loves beautiful female voices should consider giving a listen to her (I gave the URL for some samples) just to have your breath taken away. I know she's obscure, but it's because she doesn't have a record label to promote her and give her name recognition factor. It's unfair, but what can you do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks