What's new

Fell down stairs while carrying the baby (1 Viewer)

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
Of course this happened while my wife was out and I was babysitting. The baby threw up on me when I was burping her, so I took her upstairs so I could change my shirt. I thought she'd be safer coming with me than if I just left her alone, boy was I wrong. At the top of the steps she reached for a mirror on the wall and I turned my body to prevent her from getting it, but my feet forgot where they were. Next thing I knew I was at the bottom of the steps with the baby on top of me.

Thank god she is okay. I am banged up and bruised and my back, neck, ankle and arm hurts like hell but no bones are broken. Luckily I didn't roll so my body absorbed all the shocks and the baby rode down on top of me. She even smiled at the bottom of the stairs when I asked if she was okay! I took off her clothes and looked for broken bones and bruises, found nothing. I checked her pupils for concussion symptoms but she seems to be fine. I guess my instincts took over and I protected the baby at the expense of my own body. I took all the hits, thank goodness.

If any of you have babies, PLEASE be extra careful when carrying the baby up or down the stairs. Your balance is off and you can't see your feet as well. I'm not a clumsy person (I have never fallen down the stairs, and I never fall anywhere) so it could happen to anyone.

Colton

Supporting Actor
That's a scary situation, Bob. Glad you and the baby are okay. Just be happy you don't have paparazzi watching your every move like Britney Spears!

- Colton

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
She got her first slip-n-slide ride :). I'm glad everyone is okay, its amazing how the protective instinct takes over. Pain and bruises will go away and you still have a healthy baby. Just be glad she smiled and didn't say "AGAIN!"

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
That is why i will never own a house again with stairs. Bet i fell down mine 3 times in the 2 years we owned it. I never fell with my kids in arms, but i did fall once while the kids watched, and laughed. Glad you and your child are OK...nothing a few Motrin wont take care of anyway.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Glad the baby is alright. Children seem to be a lot more versatile than adults.

You should probably get yourself looked over by a doctor, or maybe a visit to a chiropractor. An impact like that can mess up your vertebrae, which will impact your nervous system. I had a problem in my neck that was caused by a whiplash incident from a car accident in 1998. I never had any pain in my neck, but it threw my neck out of alignment. It caused me to start walking with a wobble (I never noticed it, but friends did) and I would get a pain in my hip every so often. All of a sudden, about a year ago, I started getting severe pain in my neck, back and shoulders. I visited a chiropractor and he's been taking care of it. No more neck, back, shoulder pain, no more wobble walking and no more pain in my hip.

As for stairs, well my parents owned a house with stairs for 21 years (they sold it last August to move into a 3rd story condo). There was only one fall in 21 years, and it was because my sister was being stupid.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Wow, what a coincidence. My brother-in-law had a similar incident about 3 months ago. His fall was caused by the dog, but just like you the baby was fine and had a great ride. Scary stuff to say the least.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I've never fallen down a flight of stair, I've fallen up them. Seriously. And it hurts like hell.

Glad the baby was fine. Oh, and you too. :)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Wheeee! Let's go again, Daddy!! :D

Seriously, though, glad to hear everyone seems to be OK other than your bruises.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
The same thing happened to my dad when I was a baby. Was carrying me down an unlit staircase from the top floor of my grandmother's two flat when he missed a step and down we went. Although he protected me, he wound up with a broken ankle.

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
I'm glad to read you and your daughter are okay. This is a thread that should be brought up again on Father's day, to remind everyone of their father's marvelous powers of protection. I scared the hell out of my dad several times. When I was three, he put me on top of the fridge, then lay on the floor to take a cute peek a boo picture of me. His tummy looked awfully nice to jump on, so I took the leap. Fortunately, he caught me before I landed and caused any injuries, but it trashed the camera.

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Wow! Talk about the timing of this thread. I fell up a portion of stairs (which just so happened to have a cement wall when they twist up a second flight to my apartment). I had one hell of an impact when I fell forward, hit my knee on the edge of the cement stair, as well as hitting the top of my head with an 8/10 (ten being the worst) impact into the wall. Ended up going to the emergency room as my head was literally SPLITTING down the middle with undeniable pain. Not to mention which, I had a nice red blotch of blood oozing out of the top of my head.

Not fun spending about 3 hours in the emergency room and finding out that you have a sprained knee and can't work out your legs for a few weeks. It took a few weeks for my head to heal, needless to say.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
This happens all the time Bob, don't sweat it too much. Just remember this when the kids start leaving toys on the stairs, shut that down quick ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks