What's new

Feedback (1 Viewer)

terry malibu

Agent
Hi Jay,
Thank You for your honesty and obvious integrity.
We appreciate your support of the magazine and hope that you will continue to enjoy it.
I hope that you will always feel free to forward us your thoughts and comments.

Thanks Again,
Terry

Michael Laurino

Auditioning
Fans,
I have sat quietly for quite some time now watching the chatter about DVD ETC Mag. I can only express my gratitude for all that feel passionately for what we have said and not said. It is impossible to be everything to everyone...but the response I have fielded from this industry and beyond has been tremendous.
We are excited about the launch of HDTV ETC. and other publications that are being planned for the future at Avodah Publishing, LLC.
If you are wondering who I am, I am listed as a contributor on the mast head of the book. This covers many levels with this new company. We all are anxious to get more in depth information from our readers about what you are looking for.
I can tell you all this, you are about to experience the most advanced web site I have ever seen from a HT magazine that will introduce some leading edge technology... Days away!!

Best to all,
Stan D

I could brag on about our book, but..."Let another praise you, and not your own mouth; someone else, not your own lips"... oops, that's a bible verse...pr 27:2 sorry!

Captain Spaulding

Second Unit
Real Name
Jay
Hi Stan,
You guys are great! Your "oops" at the end of your post really made me smile....so much so I'm gonna sign up for a subscription right away. Its been great hearing from all of you at the magazine.
I've become a real HD nut recently, so the launch of HDTV Etc. is something I'll be looking forward to.
Regards,
Jay

terry malibu

Agent
Hi Jay,
Saw your post back to Stan and wanted to thank you for your subscription....actually, I would prefer you continue to buy at the newsstand as that is where we make a tiny bit of profit on the magazine! All of you subscribers are bleeding us dry!!!!! only kidding, but that's why you should always be thankful to see lots of ad's in a magazine, they truly subsidize the cost of subscriptions...

Thanks Again!

Terry

Cliff Olson

Stunt Coordinator
I thought when I subscribed (I knew nothing about the mag accept for the name), that it would be all about DVD reviews, upcoming release dates, the making of DVDs, etc. I was disappointed upon receiving my first issue a few months ago. That does not mean that I dislike the mag. I am also a regular subscriber to HT, Sterophile's Guide to HT, and Sound & Vision. The four can be VERY similar reading each month. I guess I was hoping for something a little different with this publication.

Cliff Olson

Stunt Coordinator
I have another question/request ;)
Why is the Sony "ES" Line omitted from your list of the DVD Players Buyer's Guide (don't recall the actual name, but it's in the back of every issue)? I have the DVP-NS999ES, and I can't figure out why it's not in there. I can't imagine Sony asking that you not list it's ES line. Heck, even Pioneer's "Elite" Line is in there, and I'm pretty sure that the ES line outsells the Elite line by a fairly large margin. Thanks.

terry malibu

Agent
Good catch, Cliff....actually, we rely solely on the manufacturer for all the information you see in the BG each month. We print what they deliver to us...if they do not get back to us, we print the previous months info.
As to your previous post and looking for something a little different, I can only surmise that you are looking for a 'software' centric publication. The only thing I can suggest is 'Widescreen Review' or possibly 'Movieline' or 'Premiere' which really tend to be entertainment mags.
Typically, software centric mags can not sustain any real circulation, as noted by the demise of every magazine that has tried.

Terry Carroll

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Jeff Cherun huh,
I have to give it to the guy,that his comment,and rating of the Bose Lifestyle speakers was "daring" yet spot on.
"the Mariah Carrey of the speakers" good looks no talent.
After that however he managed to "piss off" half the readership,making Brent to apologise on his behalf.
Quiet a feat.
I haven't read your magazine yet,though I hope to pick it up sometime in the future.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Lewis, you're speaking about Mr. Cherun's oft-controversial comments in Home Theater magazine, right? He was an attention-getter during Mr. Butterworth's reign at the helm, but kind of slipped into obscurity when Maureen Jenson put her crew into place.

I remember Jeff Cherun being vilified in print after the magazine—under Ms. Jenson—ran a reader survey. Among the questions asked, "Who are your favorite and least-favorite writers at Home Theater?"

Maureen actually ran the results a few issues later (which amazed me; I would not have published the information).

So, after the plain-spoken Mr. Cherun topped the "least-favorite writers" list, I noticed that his name fell off the magazine's masthead. He was soon listed as a "contributor" but disappeared shortly thereafter (with the exception of a couple of freelance stories he wrote).

Jeff next surfaced in the ill-fated Total Movie magazine.

And now you can read his work in DVD Etc.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Actually the survey was under Brent's leadership,after the Editor in chief left [I forgot his name],and Brent was once again took on the role.I think this happened when Petersen took over from Curtco Freedom.
It was actually Brent who published the results,and he mentioned,that Jeff's vote was almost evenly split,meaning he had just as many fans as haters.
By the time Maureen came on board Jeff "presence" was less "felt".
They hired Clint Walker,and Chris Lewis I believe{Clint correct me if I'm wrong]
BTW I'm not an insider just a reader.:)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I stand corrected!

Could have sworn all that took place under Maureen's stewardship. I do remember, now that you mention it, the even split concerning the controversial Mr. Cherun.

Jeff's writing has matured, in my opinion. And I like it when a writer is eager to take on controversial topics.

In fact, I'd like to see all the home theater-related magazines persue more topical, newsy stories about the real issues arising in the A/V field. (Though some of them have done a decent job with the copy-protection mess.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks