What's new

Feb 14th - I want Charles in Charge of me... (1 Viewer)

John*D

Second Unit
On February 14th we'll have Charles in Charge of us...

TVshowsondvd.com says season 1 is coming in a 3 disc set from UNI. Single sided discs, whew...

I use to watch the reruns on the WB, and I might get this during one of the annual sales, you know.

More info and a thumbnail pic of the artwork:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=4544

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Haha. I'm so in. It gets painful how much they dumb down Buddy towards the end, but I'll see the show through.

John*P

Second Unit
Very cool to see this show coming to DVD! Its been airing on my local UPN station lately, but I can't really be bothered with syndication these days. I watch my classic TV on DVD. I'll be getting these sets for sure.

Its nice to see Universal releasing 80s sitcoms like "Charles in Charge" and "Gimmie a Break". Here's hoping "Out of this World" will be on DVD soon!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Large cover art is here:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=4552

Practically guaranteed to make you lie to the clerk!*

"It's for my niece. Yes, she's not right."

Or:

"Return of the King EE. Playboy College Co-Eds. Charles in Charge. King Kong. Waitaminute. Charles in Charge?"

"Oh, how did that get in there? No, no, it was my mistake, I'll buy it. BTW, I just remembered I don't need the others. So, just the Charles in Charge so you don't have to reshelve it, and I'm good."

* - And no, I don't really care what the clerk thinks. In any case, 9 times out of 10, they don't care what I'm buying so long as they can get me gone and go on break quickly. :)

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Greg wrote:

Yah, but I love dumb guys. I work in a pharamaceutical company filled with scientists, eggheads and Bill Gates wannabees...I'd love to have just ONE dumb friend HAHA.

Hey, whatever happened to "Zapped?" That was the flick Scott Baio and Willie Ames made; haven't seen it in years and I don't believe it's ever been on dvd...

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Don't forget, the show went through a change. It originally aired on CBS, then it was cancelled and came back in syndication with a different family (the Nicole Eggert years). From the cover art, it looks like the CBS season is getting released first.

Should I admit I watched it in both incarnations?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

I did, too. I do prefer the Powells, and have seen them the most often since the CBS version is rarely shown in syndication. Gwendolyn, though, was a definite hottie (yeah, I know she showed up for a big event during the syndicated run).

LindseyS

Stunt Coordinator
I wonder if the first season will see significantly less sales than later seasons, due to the fact that most are more familiar with the Powell years. I know that for most shows, the first season can be used as a gauge to see how other season will fare, but I wonder if that will still be the same for CiC.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
A guy on Street Smarts was just singing the theme song, and now I'm all jonesin' for some Charles. At least Feb. 14 isn't too terribly far away.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
The theme song was sung in scrubs aswell. i couldn't bring myself to buy this although i was tempted. But i am glad it is out for everyone that wants it to enjoy.

Brady

Grip
Hahahaha. Ok, ok, I admit it, I bought it. I loved this show when I was a kid. But I'll tell you what, I walked past it a couple of times and looked at it, and then dammit, someone would turn the corner. I couldn't dare walk around the store with Charles In Charge just grinning at the whole world, could I? Finally, the moment came, and I grabbed a copy.

I got up to the counter and here is this really cute girl, and she says "I'll help you right here". Well, dammit, she rings it up and then laughs and looks at me, kinda weird. Dammit Charles! I have such a love/hate relationship with him.

Nick=Ma

Stunt Coordinator
I ordered mine from Amazon and having never seen the Pembroke season I didn't know what to expect, but I admit they were just as funny as the Powells. I can't wait for Season 2.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Doesn't bother me. I was walking around, flashing my Charles at anyone who cared to look. :D The only purchase I remember being embarrassed about was a Belinda Carlisle GH CD that I bought many years ago. For one thing, the packaging featured a very girly design with flowers and the like. Then, I get up to the checkout, and the girl squeals, "I *LOVE* Belinda Carlisle! What's on here? Oh, look at all these great songs!" People in line behind me where leaning around to see what was going on. "It's for my sister. I hate that stuff." Turns out, the CD wasn't really for me and did go to my sister, so I didn't lie. :)

I've seen the Pembrokes, but I mainly know the Powells. I'm enjoying these episodes though.

MattHR

Screenwriter

That scenario plays out in my mind far too often! Thankfully, the internet allows for anonymous purchase and delivery of the incriminating evidence. No more "Seriously, it's a gift" excuses, or trips to faraway stores to avoid being seen by a friend or neighbor when purchasing titles like CIC. :D

But sometimes, when I spot one of these titles in a store, my willpower fails me. With a quick build up of courage, I bravely make my way to the cashier. My demeanor draws the attention of store security, as my eyes suspiciously dart around the store. They drop their concern as I pull out my cash to make the purchase.

Just then, from the next lane: "Hey, Matt! How's it going! Good to see you. What're you buying? Full House? But you don't have any young daughters..."

Thankfully, the old reliable "It's a gift" gets me out of a jam, once again. I shuffle to my car, tail between my legs, dreading the day Silver Spoons is released.

DISCLAIMER: No actual person or event is featured in this scenario. It is for demonstrative purposes only. No actual ego was harmed in this narrative.

MattHR

Screenwriter

That scenario plays out in my mind far too often! Thankfully, the internet allows for anonymous purchase and delivery of the incriminating evidence. No more "Seriously, it's a gift" excuses, or trips to far-away stores to avoid being scene by a friend or neighbor when purchasing titles like CIC. :D

But sometimes, when I spot one of these titles in a store, my willpower fails me. With a quick build up of courage, I bravely make my way to the cashier. My demeanor draws the attention of store security, as my eyes dart around the store, appearing to case the joint. They drop their concern as I pull out my cash to make the purchase.

Just then, from the next lane... "Hey, Matt! How's it going! Good to see you. What're you buying? Full House? But you don't have any young daughters..."

Thankfully, the old reliable "It's a gift" gets me out of a jam, once again. I shuffle to my car, tail between my legs, dreading the day Silver Spoons is released.

DISCLAIMER: No actual person or event is featured in this scenario. It is for demonstrative purposes only. No actual ego was harmed in this narrative.

Derek K.

Stunt Coordinator
I enjoyed Season 2 and on. The family was much better.

They also dumbed down Buddy more, so that was more entertaining as well ...

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

Is that adapted from something? It sounds familiar. I thought of Brian Regan at first, but I don't remember if he did anything like that or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks