What's new

Favourite foreign films that haven't been released in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Of titles not yet announced for anywhere in the world with English subtitles:

JEAN DE FLORETTE/MANON DES SPRING
THE IMMIGRANTS/THE NEW LAND
JOURNEY OF HOPE
BURNT BY THE SUN
PIXOTE
SALAAM BOMBAY!
SPIRIT OF THE BEEHIVE (released, but seemingly unavailable)
THE OFFICIAL STORY
KING OF MASKS
CHILDREN OF HEAVEN
LE JOUR SE LEVE
JU DOU
DIVA
CRIA! (aka CRIA CUERVOS)
SMALL CHANGE
SHOOT THE PIANO PLAYER
other Truffaut titles...
WILD CHILD
DAY FOR NIGHT
STORY OF ADELE H
THE VIRGIN SPRING
FELLINI SATYRICON
CITY OF LOST CHILDREN
RODAN
BEAU PERE
BLACK RAIN (Japan)
LE GRAND CHEMIN
BIG DEAL ON MADONNA STREET
CARTOUCHE
COME AND SEE
ILYA MUROMETS (SWORD AND THE DRAGON)
WAR AND PEACE (RUSSIAN)
SILENT STAR (U.S. cut and dubbed edition known as FIRST SPACESHIP ON VENUS)
DAY OF WRATH
Karel Zeman films
EUROPA EUROPA
EXTERMINATING ANGEL
LOS OLVIDADOS
FIORILE
FIRES ON THE PLAIN
GARDEN OF THE FINZI-CONTINIS
UGETSU
AKIRA KUROSAWA'S DREAMS
I'M NOT SCARED
KING OF HEARTS
A KNIFE IN THE WATER
SPIRITED AWAY (Studio Ghibli)
L'ARGENT
LA STRADA
NIGHTS OF CABIRIA
LE CORBEAU
MARIA FULL OF GRACE
MUNCHAUSEN (1943)
NIGHT OF THE SHOOTING STARS
OTELLO
PELLE THE CONQUEROR
SHAME
THE SHOP ON MAIN STREET
SOLDIER OF ORANGE
TAE GUK GI
TELL NO ONE
TREE OF THE WOODEN CLOGS
TSOTSI
VILLAGE OF DREAMS
Y TU MAMA TAMBIEN
Z

These are titles that, as of this writing, I believe are unavailable anywhere in the world on Blu-ray with optional English subtitles. But I would be glad to be proven wrong. Please send a link to anyone offering any of these. Many thanks!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Dick said:
Of titles not yet announced for anywhere in the world with English subtitles:

JEAN DE FLORETTE/MANON DES SPRING
THE IMMIGRANTS/THE NEW LAND
JOURNEY OF HOPE
BURNT BY THE SUN
PIXOTE
SALAAM BOMBAY!
SPIRIT OF THE BEEHIVE (released, but seemingly unavailable)
THE OFFICIAL STORY
KING OF MASKS
CHILDREN OF HEAVEN
LE JOUR SE LEVE
JU DOU
DIVA
CRIA! (aka CRIA CUERVOS)
SMALL CHANGE
SHOOT THE PIANO PLAYER
other Truffaut titles...
WILD CHILD
DAY FOR NIGHT
STORY OF ADELE H
THE VIRGIN SPRING
FELLINI SATYRICON
CITY OF LOST CHILDREN
RODAN
BEAU PERE
BLACK RAIN (Japan)
LE GRAND CHEMIN
BIG DEAL ON MADONNA STREET
CARTOUCHE
COME AND SEE
ILYA MUROMETS (SWORD AND THE DRAGON)
WAR AND PEACE (RUSSIAN)
SILENT STAR (U.S. cut and dubbed edition known as FIRST SPACESHIP ON VENUS)
DAY OF WRATH
EUROPA EUROPA
EXTERMINATING ANGEL
LOS OLVIDADOS
FIORILE
FIRES ON THE PLAIN
GARDEN OF THE FINZI-CONTINIS
UGETSU
AKIRA KUROSAWA'S DREAMS
I'M NOT SCARED
KING OF HEARTS
A KNIFE IN THE WATER
SPIRITED AWAY (Studio Ghibli)
L'ARGENT
LA STRADA
NIGHTS OF CABIRIA
LE CORBEAU
MARIA FULL OF GRACE
MUNCHAUSEN (1943)
NIGHT OF THE SHOOTING STARS
OTELLO
PELLE THE CONQUEROR
SHAME
THE SHOP ON MAIN STREET
SOLDIER OF ORANGE
TAE GUK GI
TELL NO ONE
TREE OF THE WOODEN CLOGS
TSOTSI
VILLAGE OF DREAMS
Y TU MAMA TAMBIEN
Z

These are titles that, as of this writing, I believe are unavailable anywhere in the world on Blu-ray with optional English subtitles. But I would be glad to be proven wrong. Please send a link to anyone offering any of these. Many thanks!

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
I guess I will go with Twelve Plus One (1969; French-Italian) with Sharon Tate and Vittorio Gassman. Sharon's final film, before she was senselessly murdered later that same year. The film did have a few Rental-Only VHS releases, as well as a 2008 Italian DVD release, but that's about it.

The most uncertain thing about this film is who currently owns it. When it was released here in America in 1970, it was from Avco-Embassy Pictures Corporation. But I guess because the film did so poorly, Avco-Embassy let the rights to the film expire, hence why it never appeared on Magnetic Video (back when they were licensing from Avco-Embassy from 1978 to 1981), or even on Embassy Home Entertainment.

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
Y Tu Mama Tambien is also available in Canada.

By 'Tell No One' do you mean the 2006 French film? because if yes, it's available on Blu-ray in the US from Music Box Films.

Ushabye

Projectionist
Real Name
Paul

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Yami said:
I've added in some links that might interest you!
Thanks Yami for breaking my bank-balance.
I have no choice but dish out for these .. I love them all!

Shoot the Piano PlayerFrancois Truffaut portrays a film noir world of gangsters and intrigue, with Charles Aznavour as a famous concert pianist who leaves his former life behind to play in a sleazy Parisian bar. He gradually becomes involved the the criminal activities of the big-city underworld. Charlie is the piano player in a rundown jazz bar, he used to be Edouard Saroan a gifted classical pianist, but after suffering his wife's suicide gave up his rising fame. He's miserable, lonely and so self-absorbed that he can't see that Lena, the bars' waitress is in love with him. Whe Chico, Charlie's crooked brother, uses the bar as a refuge from two gangsters he's double-crossed. Charlie becomes embroiled in the mayham. Will the resulting events awaken Charlie's emotions again? STREET DATE: AUGUST 11TH.The Soft SkinHitchcock-influenced thriller from director Francois Truffaut. Pierre (Jean Desailly) is a married, middle-aged author who begins an affair with an air stewardess (Francoise Dorleac) while on a lecture tour in Portugal. However, when his wife discovers his infidelity, she becomes consumed with a desire for revenge. STREET DATE: AUGUST 11TH.Bed & BoardFrancois Truffaut's filmic alter ego, Antoine Doinel (first seen in The 400 Blows), is once again the subject in this fourth of a series of five films. Antoine experiences the early years of marriage, and faces fatherhood and adultery with a beautiful Japanese girl. Antoine Doinel has married Christine Daron. He's working for a florist, tinting flowers in the courtyard of the building where they live. Their neighbours are an eccentric bunch, including an opera singer and his wife, a man in voluntary confinement, a waitress in love, and a mysterious man nicknamed "the strangler". Antoine begins working for an American company and shortly afterwards finds that Christine is to have a baby. But here Antoine and Christine's happiness subsides as Antoine becomes obsessed with Kyoko a beautiful, exciting Japanese girl he meets at work, and becomes increasingly distant from Christine. STREET DATE: AUGUST 25TH.Stolen KissesAfter being discharged from the army for insubordination, Antoine Doinel visits his former girlfriend Christine Darbon, and her father finds a temporary job of night watchman for Antoine in a hotel. The naive Antoine is deceived by a private eye in his first night shift, and fired on the next morning. The investigator invites the clumsy Antoine to work in his company, where he is assigned for some minor jobs, until he has to investigate why the owner of a shoes store, Mr. Georges Tabard, is detested by his employees. Meanwhile Antoine falls in love for the gorgeous Mrs. Fabienne Tabard. STREETAnne and Muriel a.k.a. Two English GirlsFrançois Truffaut's second adaptation of a Henri-Pierre Roche novel (the other being Jules et Jim) is also about a menage-à-trois, although this time set in nineteenth century Wales. Claude (Jean-Pierre Léaud), an aspiring young French writer, spends a holiday on the Welsh coast with an English family and falls in love with the two daughters, Ann (Kika Markham) and Muriel (Stacey Tendeter). STREET DATE: SEPTEMBER 15TH.Une belle fille comme moi a.k.a. A Gorgeous Girl Like MeA sociologist researching a book interviews murderess Camille, who tells him the story of her life. Put in a reform school as a child for suspected patricide, and later transferred to an orphanage, she escaped and tricked a young man called Clovis into marrying her. After attempting to kill Clovis' mother, she fled to Paris, where she began an affair with a night-club singer. Camille has left a trail of destruction and deceit in her wake, which now threatens to engulf the sociologist. Directed by Francois Truffaut, and starring Bernadette Lafont, Claude Brasseur, and Charles Denner. STREET DATE: SEPTEMBER 15TH.Love on the Run The final film in François Truffaut's autobiographical 'Antoine Doinel' series, which follows the director's screen alter ego from adolescence (in 'Les Quatre Cents Coups') to the complications of married life here. Separated from his wife, novelist Antoine is having an affair with Sabine (Dorothee). When seeing off his son at a train station, he spots his first love, Colette (Marie-France Pisier), and jumps into her carriage. Colette is now seeing Sabine's brother, Xavier (Daniel Mesguich), and soon all four protagonists are back in Paris attempting to reconcile their lives. STREET DATE: SEPTEMBER 29TH.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
classicmovieguy said:
Also "Lola Montes", again a title I can't import from the States because the Criterion is region-locked.
Buy an all zone playerThey can be bought for less that $A100 at JBHIFI in Australia unless they have sold out. (soniq brand) I bought two of them a couple of years ago.I never have trouble playing criterion blurays. Anyway is it a simple thing to change the codes on our player.My friend did this with his 3D player. There are sites on the internet that will give you the code required.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
Martin_Teller said:
I've heard of these, and seen all but Ponette, Never on Sunday, and Baise Moi. All About My Mother is on my top 100, and The Cranes Are Flying in my top 250.

1. The Hole (Tsai)
2. Revenge of a Kabuki Actor
3. Time of the Gypsies4. The Exterminating Angel5. Satantango6. All About My Mother7. Cairo Station8. The Vertical Ray of the Sun9. Devils on the Doorstep10. Linda Linda Linda

Do you mean ONIBABA ( THE HOLE) ? This Japanese classic is out on bluray.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
Robin9 said:
I'd love to see War And Peace and Waterloo on Blu-ray disc. Those two large-scale films would look magnificent in high-definition. So too would Tempest: Technirama and Technicolor.

I'd also love to have on BRD rarely seen films by two of my favorite Italian actresses, Silvana Mangano and Claudia Cardinale: movies like Mambo, Five Branded Women and The Sea Wall (Mangano) and most of all La Viaccia (Cardinale).
WATERLOO (in 70mm) was a colossal flop and the worst of 174 films that I saw in 70mm.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
Michel_Hafner said:
Sissy trilogy is out in Germany, Good quality.

My top 10 non English missing films on Blu Ray:

- Ivan the Terrible
- Elisa vida mia
- No te mueras sin decirme adonde vas
- La strada/Le notti di Cabiria
- Time of the Gypsies
- Pyaasa
- Jagte Raho
- Rocco e i suoi fratelli
- Moartea domnului Lazarescu
- Subarnarekha
ROCCO AND HIS BROTHERS has been released on blura.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
cinerama10 said:
I've heard of these, and seen all but Ponette, Never on Sunday, and Baise Moi. All About My Mother is on my top 100, and The Cranes Are Flying in my top 250.1. The Hole (Tsai)2. Revenge of a Kabuki Actor3. Time of the Gypsies4. The Exterminating Angel5. Satantango6. All About My Mother7. Cairo Station8. The Vertical Ray of the Sun9. Devils on the Doorstep10. Linda Linda LindaDo you mean ONIBABA ( THE HOLE) ? This Japanese classic is out on bluray.
No. Onibaba is not the 1998 musical.Hence...Tsai.

Jeffrey:K

Second Unit
Two Women (1961) please rescue this from public domain hell
The Sleeping Car Murder (1965) early, now-forgotten Costa-Gavras film
King of Hearts (1966) once a cult favorite, now largely forgotten
War and Peace (1968)
Murmur of the Heart (1971)
Lacombe, Lucien (1974)
The Verdict (aka Jury of One) (1974) this is the Sophia Loren/Jean Gabin movie
L'emmerdeur (1974)
Peur sur la Ville (1975) J-P Belmondo does his own stunts
Swept Away (1975)
Seven Beauties (1976) this Wertmuller classic never even had a proper DVD
Get Out Your Handkerchiefs (1978)
Beau Pere (1981)
Pixote (1981)

and I would also welcome any Truffaut movie on blu-ray

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
La Dolce VitaLa Guerre est FinisThat Man From RioAnything by Alain TannerAnything with Yves MontandFrench gangster films from the 50s

Stefan Andersson

Second Unit
Onibaba on UK Blu:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ONIBABA-Masters-Cinema-Blu-ray-Kaneto/dp/B009NFYE64

Scroll down for a link to the page for Kuroneko (Shindo) on Blu.

Onibaba is region B-locked: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Onibaba-Blu-ray/57223/

Both films are part of the Masters of Cinema (MoC) series, a UK label specializing in a wide selection of classic films. They also have the magnificent Kwaidan on DVD in the uncut version. A Blu would be great. Perhaps no HD masters exists yet.

More MoC info:
http://www.criterionforum.org/forum/viewforum.php
http://www.criterionforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10619 - region coding thread

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks