What's new

Favourite foreign films that haven't been released in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
What foreign films you would like to be released in Blu-ray?

Some of my list below, have been released but without English subtitles, so I'm longing for an English friendly release:

French:
Cyrano (1990)
Indochine
Camile Claudel
The City of Lost children
Gandahar (animation)
Time Masters (animation)
Christine (1958) (Studio Canal has released a DVD. I hope it upgrades to Bluray soon, with subtitles)
Asterix animation films
Fantomas Trilogy
Le Gerdame films

German:
Sissi Trilogy
The Indian Tomb/Tiger von Eschnapur

Russian:
Tchaikovsky (1969)

Chinese:
Farewell to My Concubine (there is a Chinese and a Korean Bluray with English subtitles, but I would love a Criterion one)
Raise the Red Lantern

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Konstantinos Zacharopoulos said:
Christine (1958) (Studio Canal has released a DVD. I hope it upgrades to Bluray soon, with subtitles)

German:
Sissi Trilogy
The Indian Tomb/Tiger von Eschnapur
Put me down for these ones. Love them.

Cine_Capsulas

Second Unit
Real Name
Patrick
Central Station, for one.

Oh, just a quick tibdit: though City of God has been released on BD all over the world, it is yet to make its HD debut here in its homeland. :blink:

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I'd love Criterion to issue Truffaut's Antoine Doinel cycle (remember their sDVD itcase edition?) So far only 400 Blows has emerged.
And Truffaut's Day for NIght. Anything Truffaut really!
Crying out for issue is Eisenstein's Alexander Nevsky, and the two Ivan the Terrible movies.
I'd love Blu ray of Riefenstahl's Olympia.
Fellini's And the Ship Sails On
Padre Padrone and Night of the Shooting Stars.
Wertmuller's Swept Away and Almond Eyes
Bertolucci's The Spider's Strategy (that's not even available on DVD! Yes it was made for television, but shot on film and I remember a cinema screening in Melbourne)

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
One last ...
Jacques Tati's Jour de Fete. The original black and white version, not the colour or later re-edited version. When the BFI brought out their excellent Jour de Fete Blu ray, the original version was not available to them.
I believe this is being worked on in France, but it needs international release.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
What about some of my all time favourite foreign language films? All are classics in my opinion. I would also be surprised if many HTF readers have even heard of most of them , let alone seen them. All have been released on dvd.

LA STRADA ( Italy) (Fellini)
AMERICA,AMERICA (Greece) ( Elia Kazan)
QUIET FLOWS THE DON (Russia- all 3 parts) Beautifully restored for dvd).
BLACK TIGHTS (France- filmed in 70mm) ( Roland Petit )
BAISE MOI (France)
BALLAD OF A SOLDIER (Russia)
THE 41ST (Russia)
THE BOFER'S GUN (U.K.)
WHITE HORSE INN (Austria)
L'AUBERGE ROUGE (France ) A remake of the classic black comedy THE RED INN with Fernandel). Would make a great double feature.
THE DAY THE SUN TURNED COLD (China)
COME AND SEE (Russia).The most devastating anti -war film ever made)
PONETTE (France) . The greatest tear jerker of all time. Non-stop tears from start to finish .Unbelievably sad)
LA TRAVIATA ( Italy) Zeffirell's masterpiece)
NEVER ON SUNDAY (Jules Dassin)
ALL ABOUT MY MOTHER (Pedro Almodovar)
JEAN DE FLORETTE / MANON DE SCOURCES (France).
IRREVERSIBLE (France)
OCEAN HEAVEN (China)
THE CRANES ARE FLYING (Russia)
STALINGRAD (Russia)
HE WHO MUST DIE (Greece) Jukes Dassin's masterpiece)
THE TRIPLETS OF BELLEVUE (France). Perhaps the greatest animated film ever made.
HIROSHIMA MON AMOUR (Alain Resnais' masterpiece)
POEM OF DANCE (aka DANCE POEM) Russia - filmed in 70mm..

Martin_Teller

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Teller
cinerama10 said:
What about some of my all time favourite foreign language films? All are classics in my opinion. I would also be surprised if many HTF readers have even heard of most of them , let alone seen them. All have been released on dvd.

LA STRADA ( Italy) (Fellini)
AMERICA,AMERICA (Greece) ( Elia Kazan)
BAISE MOI (France)
BALLAD OF A SOLDIER (Russia)
COME AND SEE (Russia).The most devastating anti -war film ever made)
PONETTE (France) . The greatest tear jerker of all time. Non-stop tears from start to finish .Unbelievably sad)
NEVER ON SUNDAY (Jules Dassin)
ALL ABOUT MY MOTHER (Pedro Almodovar)
JEAN DE FLORETTE / MANON DE SCOURCES (France).
IRREVERSIBLE (France)
THE CRANES ARE FLYING (Russia)
THE TRIPLETS OF BELLEVUE (France). Perhaps the greatest animated film ever made.
HIROSHIMA MON AMOUR (Alain Resnais' masterpiece)
I've heard of these, and seen all but Ponette, Never on Sunday, and Baise Moi. All About My Mother is on my top 100, and The Cranes Are Flying in my top 250.

1. The Hole (Tsai)
2. Revenge of a Kabuki Actor
3. Time of the Gypsies4. The Exterminating Angel5. Satantango6. All About My Mother7. Cairo Station8. The Vertical Ray of the Sun9. Devils on the Doorstep10. Linda Linda Linda

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I'd love to see War And Peace and Waterloo on Blu-ray disc. Those two large-scale films would look magnificent in high-definition. So too would Tempest: Technirama and Technicolor.

I'd also love to have on BRD rarely seen films by two of my favorite Italian actresses, Silvana Mangano and Claudia Cardinale: movies like Mambo, Five Branded Women and The Sea Wall (Mangano) and most of all La Viaccia (Cardinale).

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
Sissy trilogy is out in Germany, Good quality.

My top 10 non English missing films on Blu Ray:

- Ivan the Terrible
- Elisa vida mia
- No te mueras sin decirme adonde vas
- La strada/Le notti di Cabiria
- Time of the Gypsies
- Pyaasa
- Jagte Raho
- Rocco e i suoi fratelli
- Moartea domnului Lazarescu
- Subarnarekha

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
AnthonyClarke said:
One last ...
Jacques Tati's Jour de Fete. The original black and white version, not the colour or later re-edited version. When the BFI brought out their excellent Jour de Fete Blu ray, the original version was not available to them.
I believe this is being worked on in France, but it needs international release.
This will be released within the Jacques Tati Blu-ray Collection in the UK on July 21, 2014.
I don't know if the original b/w version is included. But I hope so.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
cinerama10 said:
What about some of my all time favourite foreign language films? All are classics in my opinion. I would also be surprised if many HTF readers have even heard of most of them , let alone seen them. All have been released on dvd.LA STRADA ( Italy) (Fellini)AMERICA,AMERICA (Greece) ( Elia Kazan)QUIET FLOWS THE DON (Russia- all 3 parts) Beautifully restored for dvd).BLACK TIGHTS (France- filmed in 70mm) ( Roland Petit )BAISE MOI (France)BALLAD OF A SOLDIER (Russia)THE 41ST (Russia)THE BOFER'S GUN (U.K.)WHITE HORSE INN (Austria)L'AUBERGE ROUGE (France ) A remake of the classic black comedy THE RED INN with Fernandel). Would make a great double feature.THE DAY THE SUN TURNED COLD (China)COME AND SEE (Russia).The most devastating anti -war film ever made)PONETTE (France) . The greatest tear jerker of all time. Non-stop tears from start to finish .Unbelievably sad)LA TRAVIATA ( Italy) Zeffirell's masterpiece)NEVER ON SUNDAY (Jules Dassin)ALL ABOUT MY MOTHER (Pedro Almodovar)JEAN DE FLORETTE / MANON DE SCOURCES (France).IRREVERSIBLE (France)OCEAN HEAVEN (China)THE CRANES ARE FLYING (Russia)STALINGRAD (Russia)HE WHO MUST DIE (Greece) Jukes Dassin's masterpiece)THE TRIPLETS OF BELLEVUE (France). Perhaps the greatest animated film ever made.HIROSHIMA MON AMOUR (Alain Resnais' masterpiece)POEM OF DANCE (aka DANCE POEM) Russia - filmed in 70mm..
Even though My taste is more Robbe-Grillet, Luna, Moodysson, Adler, Michael Rowe, Kim Jee-Woon, Laurent Cantet, Ang Lee(pre Hollywood), Tsai Ming-Liang, Kim Ki-Duk, etc...Seen the vast majority of that list.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
AshJW said:
This will be released within the Jacques Tati Blu-ray Collection in the UK on July 21, 2014.I don't know if the original b/w version is included. But I hope so.
Speaking of pre-orders(and a few already out, eg, Late Mizoguchi)...This is an expensive ass 2014.More than a few of my UK imports have cost more than the BD player that plays them(yes I got one for $120, but still).

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
The Istvan Szabo/Klaus Maria Brandauer trilogy - MEPHISTO, COLONEL REDL, and HANUSSEN
JULIET OF THE SPIRITS

Cine_Capsulas

Second Unit
Real Name
Patrick
Also, it'd be nice to finally have some Bergman titles still unavailable in proper 16x9 editions, like A Passion and The Serpent's Egg, whose DVDs are non-anamorphic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks