What's new

Favorite Christmas Episodes (1 Viewer)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Glen, I love the Father Knows Best Thanksgiving episode from S1. And despite the latest unpleasantness in the news concerning Bill, I plan on watching the S6 Cosby Show Thanksgiving episode. There's a couple from The Beverly Hillbillies, at least one from Bewitched, and that first season Daniel Boone episode.

Gary "and of course the classic Peanuts one as well" O.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Professor Echo said:
Before we join the rampant corproate/consumerist culture of celebrating Christmas too early, may I politely interrupt and ask if anyone can recommend some good Thanksgiving episodes, rare as they might be? I love the one they did on THAT GIRL, but can't think of any others at the moment.
Well, in addition to the Bob Newhart, there is Turkey's Away from WKRP. And I know that Barney Miller had a good one as wellFor obscure ones, the original Parenthood series (with Ed Begley) had a terrific episode. It was available on YouTube. The discussion about the kid's table is one of my favorite holiday scenes ever

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
The Walton's did two Thanksgiving episodes and a tv movie. And Little House has a three hour Thanksgiving special (Absent on the current season 6 DVD sets, but hopefully slated for the upcoming remastering we're hopefully going to get to next year).

If a comedy that's set around Thanksgiving is okay, one of the best episodes of Cheers qualifies (Season 5's "Thanksgiving Orphans"). Home Improvement also has several since they frequently did holiday themed episodes. But again, the holiday is just a backdrop for the episode in this series rather than being what the episode is actually about.

And season one of The Loretta Young show has one that's titled "Thanksgiving at Beaver Run". I don't think I've watched that one yet, so I think I'll change that later tonight.

Edit: And I bet that there's an animated Garfield holiday special for Thanksgiving. I only remember Christmas and Halloween specials, but I'm sure that there's one.

And the Chucklewood Critters specials from the early 80's have a Thanksgiving special, although it's the Christmas Tree Train one that sticks out in my mind the best.

And a classic Thanksgiving special for The King Family from 1967 is included on their new Christmas set that just came out.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Almost forgot one. My Three Sons has at least one episode centered around Thanksgiving where Chip brings home what appears to be a bum to the rest of the family, but he ends up saving the day when the family stove breaks down and they can't roast their turkey.

Several more deal with the day after Thanksgiving. I recall an Ozzie & Harriet episode and a M*A*S*H episode, if they count.

Did Lassie ever do one? Seems like it must've at some point.

Edit: Just remembered a season 2 episode of Newhart that's centered around Thanksgiving (And season 1 has a good Christmas episode).

And I'm surprised that 'The Doris Day Show', particularly in the early seasons when she's a mother, never did one.

Dvdelf

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael Harriott
Definitely a Garfield Thanksgiving.When he was put on a diet, and Grandma shows up to cook dinner

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Glen so glad you brought this up. I am with Bewitched. Great episode with Aunt Clara.

The best of course for me would be Family 1976 Season 3 has Willie and Buddy singing Thanksgiving songs at the start of the episode. Season 4 is one of the best shows of the entire series. The family returns to Kate's childhood farm to spend Thanksgiving. The farm was given to Willie in Season 1 by his Grandmother. So I sort of watch season 1 episode and than flash forward to season 3 episode. I hate to say but neither of these are out yet.

Also was there not a great King of the Hill episode where Peggy rushs dinner for Black Friday. I do not own King of the Hill but would catch it sometimes when it aired.

I hope what Neil stated is true that Family 1976 is coming. If Neil is right then everyone will benefit from this great show.

The Christmas episodes are top of the line in Family from all the seasons. Henry Fonda is in season 5 Christmas episode.

This year I have all the two I Love Lucy Christmas shows and the two Lucy Show Christmas shows. I know the one ILL is about 5 minutes at the end of a season 1 episode but will be great to watch.

Gary back at you my friend!

Glen thanks for bringing this up and Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family and everyone on HTF.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Gary OS said:
Glen, I love the Father Knows Best Thanksgiving episode from S1. And despite the latest unpleasantness in the news concerning Bill, I plan on watching the S6 Cosby Show Thanksgiving episode. There's a couple from The Beverly Hillbillies, at least one from Bewitched, and that first season Daniel Boone episode.

Gary "and of course the classic Peanuts one as well" O.
The Thanksgiving Spirit. The Clampetts visit Hooterville, ending with the casts of The Beverly Hillbillies and Petticoat Junction having dinner, plus Mr. and Mrs. Douglas from Green Acres make a cameo as well.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I love holiday episodes of TV shows, whether it is Christmas, Valentines, Thanksgiving, New Years or Halloween.

If you go to Wikipedia and search for "List of Thanksgiving television specials" it brings up a great list of Thanksgiving themed episodes of many TV shows. You can browse through it and maybe find something that appeals, or episodes you already own.

I look forward every year to the different holidays just so I can watch these episodes again. :)

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I'm already in my Pre-Thanksgiving Mode, watching Family-Friendly Movies that used to be "staples" in the days leading up to Thanksgiving. As soon as I finish supper on the day after Thanksgiving I will commence my official Christmas Viewing, and from 11/28 to 12/23 I will watch nothing but Christmas TV Episodes, Specials and Movies. One New Year's Eve I'll watch all three versions (1972 and 2006 Movies along with the 2005 Mini-Series of The Poseidon Adventure, then attend my Church's New Year's Eve Party. I'll watch some more Holiday Movies until January 6, after that its time to move forward into the new year.

PS. It's so nice to be able to watch all of them WITHOUT getting barraged with commercials! :biggrin: :laugh: :rolling-smiley:

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Many thanks for all the great Thanksgiving episode recommendations. I have THAT GIRL, BOB NEWHART and BEWITCHED and, unfortunately, that looks to be about it. Over 7,000 DVDs and Blu-Rays in my collection and I could only come up with three Thanksgiving holiday episodes! Well, I guess that means I'll just have to add to my collection (psssst, don't tell my girlfriend!). ;)

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Professor Echo said:
Many thanks for all the great Thanksgiving episode recommendations. I have THAT GIRL, BOB NEWHART and BEWITCHED and, unfortunately, that looks to be about it. Over 7,000 DVDs and Blu-Rays in my collection and I could only come up with three Thanksgiving holiday episodes! Well, I guess that means I'll just have to add to my collection (psssst, don't tell my girlfriend!). ;)
You'll have to scout out a Columbia House VHS tape for "The Thanksgiving Spirit" on The Beverly Hillbillies; it hasn't been out on DVD yet. The one plus is the Columbia House tapes weren't copy protected, so they can be dubbed off to DVD without a problem.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Professor Echo said:
Though the title of this Wikipedia page is 'List of Thanksgiving television specials', if you give it a look, and are prepared to keep scrolling down, you'll see that it's also a pretty extensive listing of Thanksgiving-themed TV series episodes, as well... maybe it'll turn out that you have a few in your collection:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Thanksgiving_television_specials

Happy hunting, pilgrim! :)

Dvdelf

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael Harriott
Soooo amongst the people I know I'm seen as the Christmas nut.But I have to know how many Christmas DVDs do you guys have? I'm starting to think around here I might have one of the smaller collections of Christmas flicks.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
143 DVDs, 75 Blu-Rays, plus 5 Laserdiscs and 6 VHS tapes, all Christmas. If you include things like "Die Hard" and "Eyes Wide Shut" that generally don't get sold in stores as holiday films, and all other discs with significant Christmas content, add 83 DVDs, 62 Blu-Rays, 7 Laserdiscs, and 1 HD-DVD disc. I'll get back to you on what all I've personally recorded and kept, in a few years.

Dvdelf

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael Harriott
I don't really count die hard :)Sorry to those that do, I love die hard, just not as a Christmas flick

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
The Henry Fonda episode of Family was their last Thanksgiving show and it was called Thanksgiving from season 5. Oh how I wish this series will get restored.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
davidmatychuk said:
143 DVDs, 75 Blu-Rays, plus 5 Laserdiscs and 6 VHS tapes, all Christmas. If you include things like "Die Hard" and "Eyes Wide Shut" that generally don't get sold in stores as holiday films, and all other discs with significant Christmas content, add 83 DVDs, 62 Blu-Rays, 7 Laserdiscs, and 1 HD-DVD disc. I'll get back to you on what all I've personally recorded and kept, in a few years.
76 Blu-Rays soon; the local video store that special orders things for me called just after I was finished counting to say that my imported TCM Blu-Ray of the wonderful "Remember The Night" just came in.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I have over 121 TV series completed on dvd as such I have been watching those series that have episodes geared to Christmas. I have watched Cheers and Barney Miller so far as I gear up for the Christmas season. I will wait until Christmas Eve to watch the Twilight Zone, Family Ties and Highway to Heaven as they have some of the best Christmas episodes!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks