What's new

"Father Knows Best: Season Three" -- A Mini-Review (1 Viewer)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
A FEW THOUGHTS ABOUT......

FATHER KNOWS BEST: SEASON THREE

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/f9/3b/868b810ae7a0d1a0f6922210.L.jpg">[/url]

On June 9, 2009, [I]Shout! Factory[/I] released the third season of one of the best sitcoms ever to come down South Maple Street in Springfield (or any other street in America) -- [b]"Father Knows Best"[/b].

I purchased each of the first two seasons of [I]FKB[/I], so naturally I wanted Season Three as well, and it is just as enjoyable as the initial pair of seasons. In fact, after watching the first three discs of this 5-Disc DVD set, I'd have to say that Season 3 is even better than Seasons 1 and 2.

I'm not an [I]"FKB"[/I] expert, but it seems to me as though the writing for the third year is a certain degree above the earlier seasons. I haven't noticed a misfire yet (through Disc 3, that is). These episodes are simply outstanding--every one of them--and I just felt like writing this mini-review to say that.

But the thing that really prompted me to dash to the computer today to write these comments is one particular scene in the episode called [I]"Swiss Family Anderson"[/I] (on Disc 3). That episode originally aired on network television over 50 years ago (on January 9, 1957), but it still seems fresh and relevant even today.

The scene in question occurs six minutes into the [I]"Swiss"[/I] episode, just as the Anderson family is sitting down to dinner. Jim (Robert Young) begins to tell the rest of the family about how a work colleague of his wants him to take a look at an "island" property and size it up for a possible purchase (at the pretty good price of only $1,500).

What impressed me most about that dining-room scene is the way it was filmed and how it was "choreographed" (so to speak). The first 90 seconds of the scene were shot in one long, continuous take, without the camera moving one inch.

During that long, continuous shot, the family members are talking and filling their dinner plates by passing them around the table until everybody's got everything they need. It's like a [I]ballet[/I] with the ham and potatoes.

After the camera cuts away from that long take, we get another fairly-lengthy unbroken take from the other side of the dining table, with Betty (Elinor Donahue) providing a very funny moment as she tries to convince "father" to add some more shower heads to the upstairs bathroom -- [I]"Nowadays, everyone has two heads! Lots of people have THREE!"[/I]

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Great job, David. An excellent review for an excellent show. I'm in agreement with you that Season 3 surpassed Seasons 1 & 2 for quality writing and acting. Not that the first 2 seasons weren't great. They were. But for some reason I'm enjoying this set even a little bit more than the previous ones. All in all, I also highly recommend this set to every fan of vintage TV.

Gary "I always enjoy reading your reviews, DVP" O.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I have watched the entire set and I absolutely loved it. I have actually already re-watched a few episodes, one of them "Swiss Family Anderson". However, I have a little news on Season 4 that you may or may not have heard yet. I received an e-mail from Shout saying that Season 4 will be released sometime late next year. They went on to say that they are currently working on too many projects. I do hope they change their minds and go ahead with a release of Season 4 sooner. I was discussing this with a friend and we both agreed it is smarter to take advantage of the momentum of each season by announcing the next. I would think this would actually drive sales by having the releases more visible. If someone gets into the show and wants to get another season, it is readily available or coming soon instead of "undetermined". I think waiting on future seasons actually hurts sales as some consumers forget and lose interest. Just my two cents.

Anyhow, I am enjoying Season 3 and am very proud to own it.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
AN ADDENDUM/EDIT TO MY REVIEW:

In addition to the episodes I mentioned previously, the Season-Three set of "Father Knows Best" also contains one of the very best (and surprisingly-exciting) episodes of any TV series I have ever seen. It's entitled "Short Wave", and after watching it for the first time today (7/8/09), I found myself wanting to immediately watch this excellent, well-acted, and unusual episode again -- and I did.

I won't spoil the plot of "Short Wave", but if you've got this DVD collection and haven't yet watched that episode -- go watch it now. It's a winner.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I watched "Short Wave" with a friend of mine this weekend, along with the following episode where Bud joins a carnival and learns a painful lesson regarding scam artists. What a wonderful show this is! I hadn't seen "Father Knows Best" since the early 60s and had forgotten just how good it actually was and how well the cast played together. The Andersons seem far more real than even the Nelsons. I can't wait for seasons 4-6!

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I'll tell you what, for "lump-in-throat" frequency this show is absolutely at the top in my collection. I'm serious too. Almost every other episode causes me to tear up a bit. That darned sentimental music cue played near the ending of many of the episodes never fails with me. I just flat out love this show and am pleased as punch to be enjoying these rarer (at least for me) 3rd Season episodes.

Gary "I'll be devastated if this series gets stalled out" O.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Gary OS ">[/url]

I'll tell you what, for "lump-in-throat" frequency this show is absolutely at the top in my collection. I'm serious too. Almost every other episode causes me to tear up a bit. That darned sentimental music cue played near the ending of many of the episodes never fails with me. I just flat out love this show and am pleased as punch to be enjoying these rarer (at least for me) 3rd Season episodes.

Gary "I'll be devastated if this series gets stalled out" O.
[/QUOTE]This one will complete, I have that feeling

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks