1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Fast Five - quick review

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Patrick Sun, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Fast Five is a briskly paced, entertaining movie that delivers on the legacy of previous installments of the Fast and the Furious franchise. Bringing in players from the previous four films, filling in the past histories between one another, the plot is straight forward, but the path has a lot of turns and curves to it. Each character in a sprawling cast has their moment to shine (some for just a bit, but overall good cast chemistry).
    Running on fumes in the beginning, Dom, Mia and Brian take on a gig, which goes somewhat badly for them as far as staying off the wanted list, and that brings Hobbes (The Rock) and his crew after them in Brazil. Pretty soon, an opportunity manifests itself for the gang to make one last score and then disappear. This requires additional personnel, and together they plan and plot and practice, while Hobbes continues to hunt them down.

Going into this kind of film, you know what you're in for, but they continue to up the ante in car driving stunts, and entertain its audience.

I give it 3 stars or a grade of B.

P.S. Stay through the credits until you see the additional bit of footage, you'll know it when you see it.

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I liked it and was thoroughly entertained by my matinee showing.

As Patrick stated, stay to the end of the credits.

Crawdaddy

3. Jose Martinez

Jose Martinez Well-Known Member

The action was way over the top but very satisfying overall. Highly entertaining. Good start to the summer movie season.

And yes, I was surprised by who appears in the end credits but also who might be in the sequel. So it was a double surprise for me. One of the best end credit footage in a while.

4. montrealfilmguy

montrealfilmguy Well-Known Member

thank you for the review.

ive been wanting to see this one as im not a big fan of FAF films,but the trailer did seem very good and i love the Rock.

wait dont tell me,after the credits Samuel Jackson shows up as Nick Fury and asks Vin if he wants to join the Avengers ?

5. Troubledgemini

Did anyone watch it in 3d

6. Brian Sheffield

Brian Sheffield Well-Known Member

Brian
    As far as I know, Fast 5 was not released in 3d.

7. Robert Crawford

Robert

They're showing it in IMAX theaters, but it's not in 3-D.

8. Jose Martinez

Jose Martinez Well-Known Member

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/20335/-fast-five-failed-the-3d-conversion-test

9. Troubledgemini

Thanks for the info...I thought it was going yo be in 3d

10. Brent M

Brent M Well-Known Member

Loved it. Pure action flick from start to finish and it never pretends to be anything else. Bringing in The Rock really added a badass element to the film and I'm glad they used him instead of Tommy Lee Jones(who was originally supposed to play the role). Sure, Jones is a better actor, but he doesn't strike quite as imposing a figure as The Rock.

11. Robert Crawford

Robert

Tommy's a little too long in the tooth to be playing those type of roles any longer. For heavens sake, he had a small role in Love Story over 40 years ago.

12. Brent M

Brent M Well-Known Member

I agree. He was great in The Fugitive, but that was around 15 years ago. They definitely made the right choice going with The Rock for this role.

13. Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper Well-Known Member

Why must every single one of your posts include at least 10 exclamation points?

14. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Well-Known Member

I saw it this evening and enjoyed it. It was definitely over the top and the final bits defied the laws of physics. But it was definitely entertaining! It seems this series is like Star Trek, every other film are the better ones, or in this case, the odd numbered ones. I didn't know about the bit at end of the credits, and that was a surprise. Nice to see the Rock mix it in with the gang. I liked the new ladies in the cast too. About the plot, it felt like a remake of the recent remake of The Italian Job, with some Lethal Weapon 4 mixed in.