What's new

Fascinating Spartacus audio commentary track (1 Viewer)

andySu

Senior HTF Member
At this very moment I’m running for the second time, since yesterday, “Spartacus” the commentaries starts of with "Robert Harris" followed by various others that have contributed to the making of the film.

There’s a lot to learn from the commentary, which chronicles the legacy of the picture, so not sure if there are many hear that can remember the comments, but I’m sure "Robert Harris" as very vivid memory, and thou he hasn’t got his own isolated audio commentary track, I’m sure he can add some more valid comments about this ambitious project that he and "James Katz" worked on for laborious months on end!?

Wow that was interesting; most of the wide gauge 70mm formats our endangered films that are disappearing very fast! I never knew that, I thought the film vaults would be maintaining a high up keeping standard to preserve these films.

Wow the detail in this version is very good, you can see the sweat on Kirk Douglas, on chapter 11, and that hair style looks great, which reminds me, I have to get a hair cut next week, may like Kirk’s looks very cool.:D

Go for it Kirk’ LOL into the soup with him!

There is a funny comment that made me laugh, where “Robert Harris” mentioned about film restoration, is, “a third detective a third archaeology and a third postproduction and production, with a bit of perseverance and stupidity thrown in, for starting the project in the first place”:D

Wow that voice sounds familiar, its actor “Herbert Lom” best know as “Former Chief Insp. Charles Dreyfus” in “The Pink Panther” films, hear he plays “Tigranes Levantus” who helps “Spartacus” out with sailing ships.

Intermission time, and I have no Ice-cream, but there is Co-Op across the road so I’ll be back after the intermission, and start up disc 2.

Well I’m settled with some Vanilla Ice-Cream, disc 2 is loaded and the second part of the audio commentary is now running, with Kick Douglas and Peter Ustinov.

This is last act, with the huge battle at the end.

I had collected some 35mm frames, often 24 frames or so, when I was a projectionist many years ago, in the last few years I have moved to new home, and somewhere I have misplaced some frames from Die Hard Twister Batman 1989, and various other films, I must say I’m rather gutted to say the least, in the second part of the films audio commentary, Robert Harris mentions that there are many people out there in the world that collect film from 16 35 and 70mm.

The frames that I collected where often when there was damage done within the sprockets of the projector, and to run it back though will only curse major damage, so it has to be cut out and tossed into the dust bin never to be seen again.

Well I didn’t know that, on the second part of the DVD is where the intermission is to take place, thou I found the intermission on disc1, very fitting, unless there are some real die hard Spartacus fans out there that would disagree, I liked the intermission on disc one, gave me time to buy some Ice-cream.

Technicolor lab is next to Heathrow airport, ever time my dad and I would travel to London, to see my Nan, god bless her, my farther would point out the Technicolor lab besides the airport.

So I never knew that the one in London was only one since the other labs where shut down

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Wow, what a powerful scene, “I’m Spartacus” damn did that make my cry as Alex North’s score builds up with triumphal impact the tears come rolling down my face just as Kirk looks down and back up, tears are flooding! Indispensable scene!

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I love this audio commentary. Kirk Douglas pre-stroke, Saul Bass pre-death, and Big-O's Schwartzwalt as Dalton Trumbo. Awesome stuff.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Another great Criterion track, but it's singularly amusing that Kirk Douglas is slightly...off...during a couple of fairly obvious moments in the flick (listen to the commentary during the arm-chopping scene).

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I find it interesting that Andy is giving us commentary on a commentary! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks