What's new

Farscape: Starburst Edition (1 Viewer)

david_hu

Stunt Coordinator
i watched Farscape and Bab5 season 1 in tandem, and believe me, Bab5 was an absolute snooze fest in comparison. Go with Scape- far more entertaining.

Chris Lynch

Stunt Coordinator
I had a buddy who was a big Babyler, and he says Bab5 gets better exponentially as it goes along. Still, Farscape really grabs you from the start...

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Completely different TV series, with different goals. I wouldn't even compare the two. I think they are both great in their own way.

Jason

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
re: Re:Union

I thought that it was a bit of a slow start, but picked up well, and got a good little plot going. quite interesting. i enjoyed it a lot.

I think that it would've made a decent first episode.

re: Bab5 vs Farscape

B5 is a great show for politics, long stretches where things get set up early and pay off later. Farscape is more of a action based show with shorter spanning arcs (and a few smaller longer spanning ones). I've enjoyed both of them immensely (I've not seen all of the Farscape episodes as yet, and have been watching them straight through as I've been picking up the Starburst sets -- never got the old dvds as they were far too expensive for my tastes -- and I'm discovering a stack of episodes that I'd never seen before.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey

Two of the Best Sci Fi series ever and yes, B5 is a bit slow the first season but if you stick with it, you wont be sorry.
What both shows share is great characters and stories where you dont get a reset button at the end like Enterprise or Voyager.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I wasn't really dissapointed with Mind the Baby. I don't really mind being told what happened instead of shown, basically because that's part of the episode structure so you don't know exactly the precise nature of Aeryn and Crais' deal.

Besides, the only thing they could really show was Aeryn playing some cat and mouse in the Prowler and eventually finally picking D'Argo and John up, which IMO would be a bit stale to me. The only thing that didn't exactly work was Zhaan's change.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell

[ot]While this is a valid complaint for VOY, I would say ENT did a pretty decent job of avoiding the reset button. Whatever problems that show had, that wasn't one of them.[/ot]

Comparing B5 and Farscape:

I thought the storylines were very good on B5 but I felt Farscape did a better job developing their characters.

david_hu

Stunt Coordinator
FarScape is more of an emotional experience. I imagine BAB5, from what I have seen, seems more a cereberal one?
I absolutely loathe romantic stuff in my plots.
It usually bores me stupid, but the Chricton/Aeryn dynamic totally captivated me.
Good Lord, I think my favourite Scape moment ever was the very last scene of the Princess Trilogy. Go figure!!

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

Careful, this thread assumes that people haven't seen the non-Starburst editions.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I think B5 is a plot oriented show, and Farscape is more character oriented. B5 is almost all about the plot, and the characters serve the plot. In Farscape, the plot is less important than character development.

Jason

KyleC

Supporting Actor
Let's just keep this on topic about the Starburst DVDs. We don't want people coming to this thread for info and having to page through 10 pages of other sci fi vs Farscape discussion.

Is anywhere but that one site reporting the August date?

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I can pretty much agree with that. When it comes to ADV Films and their releases I always check ouot their website and they're pretty much accurate. There's been a few times where I check out the Best Buy stores and they're made the mistake of selling ADV titles weeks before their street date.

While I have reported this to ADV Films they did mention that they have a problem with stores in the United States and Canada violating their street dates listing.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
So another DVD Tuesday and another Farscape Starburst edition that is nowhere to be found on any shelf in town. Oh well, it's cheaper through DeepDiscountDVD anyway.

The time between these last two discs was much shorter than the last few releases though, maybe they're realizing they're not getting shelf space anymore and are just trying to get them all out and be done with it.

KyleC

Supporting Actor
I gave up on finding them in store on release day. I just ordered it from Amazon and it shipped yesterday.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks