What's new

Farscape: Starburst Edition (1 Viewer)

Scotty_McW

Second Unit
I'm confused. I haven't bought the set yet but when I start to watch it do I need to start with Re:Union? Or go with the order presented on the discs? This is my first time through the series so I don't know what to expect!

Chris Bergmann

Second Unit
Re:Union was meant as the premiere episode but they thought it wasn't good enough and shot a new season premiere (Mind the Baby).

Most of Re:Union was used as a very long flashback sequence in episode 2.08 Dream a little Dream.

It's like the original Star Trek pilot "The Cage" which was used as a flashback sequence in a later episode.

KyleC

Supporting Actor
I just watched the premiere "Mind the Baby". I noticed something that I had not before:

Chiana mentions that Moya and Pilot did not abandon them during Zhaan's trial. Doesn't that episode come later in the season? Why such a continuity error?

Rob Dwyer

Stunt Coordinator
its because they re-ordered the episodes. As stated above, Dream a Little Dream was originally Re:Union and was supposed to be the season premier before they moved it later in the season.

A wise choice, IMHO.

KyleC

Supporting Actor
It looks like the release schedule of one every other month is no more. I looked at Tvshowsondvd.com's release schedule as well as Amazon and there's nothing as far out as October.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
They had BETTER finish out the Starburst releases. I'm going to be ticked off if I'm forced to buy the second half of this show in the original discs because they stop producing the Starburst editions for whatever reason.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I don't think there's any reason to worry, but, clearly their intention of having new editions in order to be present on retailers shelves has been an absolute failure.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Well, if you want to pick up the old editions cheap, ADV is clearing them out. Season 3 discs are going for $4.99. (I don't know why the Season 1 discs are being sold for $11.99 each. For not much more, you can get the Starburst Editon.)

Jason

Roger_R

Second Unit
Still waiting for my copy from PlayUSA. Their site has been saying "out now, waiting for stock" for two weeks. Weird, they got the other starburst editions on release day...
Vol. 3 also had a defective disc and since I haven't had time to watch it until last week, I was way too late to be able to return it. :frowning:

How come they started to include deleted scenes with vol. 4? Were there none for season 1 or what? If I remember correctly, the original release of season 1 had no deleted scenes either.

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
Season One has longer cuts of the episodes so anything that may have been considered a deleted scene in Season One may be part of the actual episodes.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

I am sure it may be too late now, but I'd say yes, start with Re:Union as the first episode you watch, then carry on.

The reason I say this is that without Re:Union, the character of Zha'an gets really short thrift. Without Re:Union, she essentially starts out -- MINOR spoiler -- pretty catatonic and you're left to assume she "lost it" during the season break. But if you watch Re:Union first, this gets fleshed out.

The audio/video quality of Re:Union was the same as the broadcast episodes by the way (because evidently it was eventually aired on the SciFi Channel as a special one-off treat).

Mark Seyb

Agent
Man, what a let down so far. I started watching Farscape with the Starburst editions and immediately fell in love. The final episodes of Season 1 rocked! The cliffhanger left me...well...cliffhung! So I couldn't wait for the first Starburst release of Season 2. I decided to watch Re:Union first and my god it was bad. It was slow and boring and something just seemed different. The production quality seemed so different to what the last season was and not in a good way. So I watched "Mind the Baby" figuring well, there was a reason that got scrapped as the season opener and all would be right with this episode. But it wasn't. The resolution of the cliffhanger was a letdown to me because they just tell you what happened and do not really show you.
Besides that, the production quality still seems different. I can't put my finger on it. Luckily, the episode finished strong but man, so far this has started out to be a bummer. Please tell me it gets better.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Yeah, the first few eps of season two has some stinkers in it but it does get much, much better.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

They moved the sets to another studio in another part of Australia, so yes, there was a massive disruption that the cast and crew had to adjust to. And a new company was going visual effects. (Spot the person who watched the extras).

Mark Seyb

Agent
Cool! Thanks for that tidbit. I'm trying to refrain from watching the extras as I'm sure that something will get spoiled for me and I'm trying to stay as spoiler-free as possible for this series. I'm watching the second season of Buffy at the same time and I've already heard or read or came across an action figure at Suncoast that have ruined plot points for me. I'm glad to hear that it gets better. I didn't doubt it actually but everyone always said that it really gets going and doesn't stop from the end of season 1. The last few episodes of season 1 had me on the edge of my seat. I guess I just didn't expect the occasional hiccup to happen so quickly. On a different subject, Scorpius is a fantastic character. I love him already and I'm sure he gets even better. One more thing, in the Firefly thread, I mentioned that you regular posters turned me on to that wonderful show. Well, the same is true for Farscape. I do truly thank you all! Now, if only I could bring myself to watch Babylon 5. That just doesn't seem interesting. :D

Mark (knowingly opening a can of worms)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Farscape usually starts out weak every season, and picks up steam as it goes.

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks