What's new

Farscape - should I make a blind purchase? (1 Viewer)

Gary Cliff

Stunt Coordinator
I have heard many good things about this series, but I've never seen a single episode. As far as sci-fi goes:
- Star Wars: I really enjoy them (especially the original 3)
- ST:TNG: I enjoy it
- Voyager: I only enjoy it somewhat
- DS9: I don't enjoy it at all
- Andromeda: I enjoy it
So, given these likes and dislikes, is Farscape a series for me?

Brian Kaz

Second Unit
Farscape is more like Star Wars (only with awesome character development) than any of those other shows. A great mix of Sci-Fi AND Fantasy. By the end of the first season, you will be HOOKED and there will be no going back.

Trust me.

MattGentry

Second Unit
While I would love to say a resounding YES!... I can't.

As much as I love the show, and love every aspect of it, I can't tell someone to make a blind purchase of a season of Farscape. I mean, it's roughly, what... $100 still? That's a very risky blind buy, no matter what other movies/shows you like.

I say find the Season One: Volume One DVD and check it out. It should be right around $10 and will give you a very good (albeit brief) glimpse of what the show will be like...

Brian Kaz

Second Unit

Except that this show doesn't REALLY kick in until the 15th episode. That's when FS finds it's voice and never looks back.

Anyhow, you may want to consider joining Netflix for all your TV show curiosities.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
What I can recommend is going on Half.com and picking up some individual discs. You can find Season 1 discs hovering around 5-6 bucks. (Disc 1 is $3!)

As for which ones to get, you can look at sites like www.farscapeworld.com and look at the reviews to see which ones may appeal to you and give a feel for what the series is all about.

Jason

Nicodemus

Stunt Coordinator
Yes you should, but it's also true that Farscape starts from episode 15 or 16 - while the first half of the first season is very good, the big plot gets a kickstart in episode 16. But the beginning contains some very important aspects you need to know about the characters and their backgrounds so I wouldn't miss it.

Farscape is one of my biggest passions. I love TNG, DS9 and like Star Wars and B5. I wouldn't perhaps compare Farscape to Star Wars except that they're equally epic stories, but Farscape is also a darker, more complex and adult series with exceptionally good character development. I was hooked at the end of the season 1, but was turned out a bit at the start of the second season (there's a fair amount of bad episodes there) and was sucked in again towards the end of that season. Season 3 is purely brilliant and it would seem that so is season 4 (I'm watching it right now).

Farscape can take a time to get used to but it could hook you, I believe. But it's a different kind of series and I know that it's too much for some. After all: TNG and Star Wars are quite naiive and "childish" shows when compared to Farscape which is kind of science fiction hardcore.

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
Farscape is a great show, one of the best Sci Fi around. I would put it up with B5 and DS9.

However it does take a long time to get going, a LONG time, in fact even past the 15th show it takes time.

Once it does get going however its well worth the watch. If anything I wished it had continued on past where it did.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I did and am a Big fan now. Try it, you'll like it.
It really hits it's stride in Season 2. Season 1 it didnt quite know if it wanted to be a show for the whole family or more adult. Luckily the latter won out.

Terry H

Second Unit
I can't imagine that anyone who disliked DS9 would like Farscape but I suppose anything is possible. Character driven sweeping story arcs are the rule. If you like stand alone episodes this is not for you. Join Netflix for the free trial and rent a couple... see for yourself. ;)

Eric F

Screenwriter
You'ld probably want to give Stargate SG:1 a go too. It's cheap enough now, half the price of Farscape.

Gary Cliff

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the feedback! I have decided that this is indeed a series I want to look into. And I noticed a good deal on an almost-complete season one set (missing only vol. 10), and I was able to get it for around $55 shipped. And it looks like I should be able to pick up vol. 10 on ebay for around $7...unless one of you have a spare vol. 10 that you want to get rid of.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
I got into Farscape and Stargate because of dvd. Both excellent shows and should be given a shot

capt

florence franks

Stunt Coordinator
I think you could make blind buy! I just watched my season one finally last month and even though has very high "nerd" factor 3/4 of season I still could not stop watching it and then got hooked. Was abit iffy for awhile with me not being trekky but if you are into those things you definitely like it.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Be sure to let us know what you think!
I started watching with season 3 and quickly became hooked, I have since been collecting all of the individual releases as the come out.

ANd don't forget Sci-Fi will be airing a 4 part mini series entitled The Peacekeeper War in December!

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter

Exactly what I was thinking, hard to recommend it if you don't like story arcs so rent it first before buying.

Gary Cliff

Stunt Coordinator
Just a quick note to let you know that I've been enjoying season 1 a lot, so much so that I've also ordered season 2 (it's presently backordered).

Looking back over the posts, one of the issues was: how can someone who dislikes DS9 (with its character driven sweeping story arcs) like Farscape? Well, it's happened. I must admit that I really didn't give DS9 a fair chance. I didn't catch the launch of the series, tuning in only for the occasional episode here and there, and making a judgment on the series based on that limited exposure...totally missing the character driven sweeping story arcs! Since I am enjoying Farscape so much, maybe I should give DS9 another try.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Farscape is one of my favorite series of all time. That said, I have also enjoyed all of the Star Trek flavors to varying extents. I liked DS9, but I didn't start REALLY liking it until the Dominion stuff started, which I think was the end of season 3 or 4, and Worf joined and Cisco shaved his head. There are similarities between these 2 as well as with B5.

Kyle**S

Stunt Coordinator
The first episode of "Farscape" is one of the worst hours of TV I've ever seen, but the series does get better later on. I've seen various eps from the first two seasons, and I find it to be a semi-entertaining show, but not actually a good one. If you like shows like "Charmed," you'll like "Farscape." I've hears the the series improved A LOT in its last two seasons, but I haven't seen them, so I don't really know.

GarySchrock

Second Unit
I'll have to go back and watch the first episode again sometime, because I really don't remember it being bad, although lots of people seem to think so. And I know personally I seemed to prefer the first two seasons to some of the stuff later (although the show did start picking steam up again near the end). There was a period though that I really felt the plotlines were getting so odd that I was finding it laughable (and not in a good way).

Still, an excellent series though. I'm not sure I'd recommend a blind buy though, simply because it can be strange, and some people just love it or hate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks