What's new

Far And Away (1992) (1 Viewer)

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
I just checked the disc - the back cover says 2:35 but viewed on my lcd tv it looks to be the proper 2:20 but will be viewing it on a 2:35 screen Saturday to confirm. The audio is listed as 5.1 dts hd and the disc is a bd 50 with bitrate over 30 and usually around 35 - 38 mbs. It looks good so far but again, for me the real test will be projected and will update tomorrow.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I remember this was a bit boring. But haven't seen it in years. Perhaps I should see it again.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
John Stockton said:
I would be quite shocked if Universal actually scanned this from 65 MM.

Awaiting your confirmation Brent.
I'd actually be shocked if it looked good as other Ron Howard films from Universal do not look good on blu ray.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
John - I admit to being less than observant at times, I was a bit under the weather Saturday so did not run the projector, but decided to check Hello Dolly on the tv just for comparison and it appears that my initial thoughts on the oar were off, as from what I am seeing it does look to be 2:35. Still, I hope to view it projected if only to see how it looks. When looking at something like Dolly it is not difficult to imagine Universal did not use the 65mm elements, assuming one should be expecting the same level of clarity. Far And Away certainly looks good from what I saw so far, but still, it is a shame that being one of the few modern exceptions to use the large format that Universal did not treat it better. One has to consider cost I suppose but as Mr. Harris has said more than once that generally it really is not that much more of an expense for the studios.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Screen caps have finally been posted on another review site, which confirms a 2.35:1 aspect ratio. It would appear we are not getting a new transfer from the 65mm elements. :(

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I guess that after what they repeatedly did with Spartacus one has to be thankful for every large format release that looks like Far and Away or Airport.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks