What's new

Fantasy Island season 2 is on the way. (1 Viewer)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
smithb said:
Jack, you certainly do have a lot of venom towards Shout! (and Brian Ward in particular). I'm sure in part based on your feelings about Shout!'s treatment of some of your favorite shows. I can't help but think how the roles would be reversed if this was a WB related thread. The very thing you complain about happening in those threads you seem to fully patrticipate in when in comes to a Shout! thread.
I have praised Shout for releases they've done right. I have gone out of my way to do so when its warranted and not hold their failures against them when they do something right (unlike the person whose post Ron had removed). Checking my posts will bear that out. What I choose to be critical of Shout, is the *same* kind of criticism freely given CBS/Paramount for the screwups they've done on certain titles (namely The Fugitive) even as we also acknowledge what that company has done right. I simply choose to treat Shout on the same level I would treat a "big" company. Brian's public comments that turned out to be wrong or misleading are numerous and they can't be swept under the rug with a "nothing to see here" attitude no matter how much some would like to do otherwise because of reasons unrelated to the matter that caused the criticism to come up in the first place.
I'm as grateful as the next person for the things Shout has done right but that doesn't entitle them to a free pass for the things they do wrong anymore than CBS/Paramount should get a free pass for the music hack jobs on half of the later episodes of "The Odd Couple" just because they release other favorites of mine that they happen to do right.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Interesting, your last three posts didn't seem to have anything to do with a particular release, good or bad. They just seemed to attack Shout! in what has been a fairly common stnace that you have taken for quite some time now. And I believe your posts over the past prove that out more then not. Like I stated, you are quite defensive when negative posts are directed at WBA but have no problem making similar such types of post related to Shout!. I just think its a bit hypocritical. This isn't an Odd Couple thread or an Ironside thread, which I know have been disappointments for you. This thread isn't about the Shout! forum or past issues you've had with Brian Ward. So why is it these remarks are in a thread about Fantasy Island? Maybe for the same reason you hate seeing discussions about DVD-R's, higher prices, and "why haven't they released my favorite title yet" in ever WBA titles. Because they don't belong there either. I tell you what it's getting to the point where you can't browse through any thread in this particular forum anymore without someone bashing this, or bashing that, political agenda's here or personal agenda's there. Too bad because it use to be more fun (for me at least) checking in here on a daily basis, but not so much anymore. No need to reply on my behalf, since I'm not sure I'll be back to see it anytime soon. Keep up the good fight.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
smithb said:
Interesting, your last three posts didn't seem to have anything to do with a particular release, good or bad.
Just FYI, "Fantasy Island" happens to be a title that is of great interest to me. If all of a sudden, Sony is suddenly releasing the same thing Shout is doing then I think it's sloppy on Shout's part to not know the status of their rights with the title and how this is going to play out. The answers that have been given and reported in this thread, do not impress me and the reason why I am not inclined to be impressed by the answers is because like it or not, the company built up its own track record on multiple titles that represented legitimate reasons for people like me and others (and when it comes to comparative posts with others on Shout, I am practically a moderate on the subject) to be instinctively skeptical of Shout's ability to be on top of the situation. So the entire premise of your objection to my posts is therefore exposed as a bogus premise of the first order. It was the answers given in regard to the "Fantasy Island" situation that made the matter of just how efficiently run an organization is Shout a legitimate subject once again, and don't go blaming me for that.
I do not want to rehash the Shout-WBA argument again, but I will note that not once has there been a case where a WBA representative has said something about the status of a title that turned out to be not true, and on that basis alone, they shouldn't be brought into this discussion on this particular area. The issues of what titles are they releasing, what their costs are, what discs do the use are separate arguments for separate threads. There is no hypocrisy on my part, since I merely noted that I choose to hold Shout to the same standard I hold another studio that has presented the same problems. Has anyone ever suggested in the course of a discussion on music replacement in "The Fugitive" that someone should say, "But CBS/Paramount released all these other great shows, so stop complaining!"?
It is not my fault that Shout reps choose to make news again on a title that doesn't put their management in a favorable light. I do not make posts for the sake of bashing Shout, but if it comes up, it's only because there is *news* to report that is worthy of being commented on, and if you wish to give peons of praise to Brian Ward as someone who is somehow beyond reproach, well sorry, but that's when you invite the factual record to be reintroduced to the discussion, and if the factual record bothers you that much, that has to be your problem, not mine.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I'm happy to be proved wrong! Glad to see its coming as this is the key season I've waited years for. Thanks to Shout for continuing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks