What's new

Fantasy Football 2003 (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I have a good problem -- too many good choices this week (for once). I need to pick 5 of the following (1 RB, 1 WR, 3 RB/WR flex):

AGreen, DDavis, EJames, AThomas
Driver, Hilliard, Rice

Right now I've left Thomas (vs. Chargers) and Rice (vs. Detroit) out of the lineup, but they both have great matchups.

Should I bench one of my better players for these two matchups, and if so who would I sit? The most likely candidates would be Driver (at Minn), Davis (vs. Carolina) or James (at Miami).

I also have Tai Streets, but he's definitely staying on the bench.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
League 1: Kitna, Barber, Shipp, Ward, Bruce and Porter
League 2: Bulger, SDavis, Garner, Owens, Moulds, Porter
League 3: Bulger, Williams, Barber, Ward, Smith, Robinson

I should've left Moulds out of the choices since he's on a bye week.

Scott, I've got a WR/RB slot in league #2 as well so I can use 3 RBs. I was thinking SDavis, JLewis (if George can score on the Jags..) and I was debating between Ricky and Garner in the flex slot. 3 WR slots to fill, obvioulsy Owens, Coles and Toomer. So the flex slot comes down to Garner, Ricky, and Porter. Porter will probably have a good game but better than a starting RB?

In your predicament, I go exactly how you called it. Thomas isn't going to play the whole game I don't believe. Rice is a decent matchup but I figure Oakland's going to focus on getting Tuiasopo going through dump passes, using Garner and Teyo Johnson a lot. Maybe a bomb or two to Porter. Rice will get you 60 yds, no score.

I actually like Davis @ Carolina. I know the Panthers D is good against the run but I think they're gonna get cracked this week worrying about Tony Banks and the deep threat.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
John, Since Garcia is now not playing Sunday, you may want to bench Owens and go with Porter and Coles at WR (I didn't realize Moulds was on a bye, since I do not have any Buffalo players). JLewis against Jax is a good option, so you may want to leave RWilliams on the bench vs. Indy (which is usually unthinkable). If you're ever going to start Charlie Garner, this is the week to do it vs. Detroit's horrible defense.

Hilliard is a little banged up and the Jets have a good pass defense, so I'm now considering benching him for AThomas. Does that sound logical?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I was able to improve my QB situation for this weekend without hurting my team at all. With Trent Green on a bye, I did not feel good starting Maddox -- he's only had one good game. I worked out a deal for Kitna (playing Arizona) and Hakim for Maddox and Rice.

The deal benefits us both. He needed one more RB or WR due to byes this week (his choices were Dez White or Hakim), and I'll never start Rice again (he's #8 or #9 of my RB/WR's, and I only start 5). He also has Bulger and Pennington at QB, so he'll never miss Kitna. Hakim was just a throw-in to allow us to follow roster rules.

Mark Schermerhorn

Second Unit
Last second:
K:

John Carney, @ TB
Olindo Mare, vs Ind

matchup decision, and I'm not sure. TB has a strong defense, but Carney has put up more points this season than Mare. Any thoughts?

I also grabbed Michael Bennett since no one had him. Could come in handy late in the season if he regains his form, as my #2 RB slot is the weakest position on my team.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys. I'm busy finishing up a big project, but I plan to stop back later tonight and offer some responses to all the "who do I trade/start" questions. (Not that my insights are all that reliable, but I still like to help out.)

Never let it be said that I don't return favors! :D

And I may have a new matchup question of my own.... ;)

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
No offense intended, Mark, but if you have to ask for start/bench advice on kickers then you might just be overthinking things a bit. :D :D :D Actually, I think that any more that one kicker on a roster (with the exception of a bye week fill in kicker) is a waste of space.

Otherwise, I've given up on offering advice since my predictions rarely actually come true. As an example, here's the roster moves I've made this week that will also probably not come true.

Benched Peyton Manning (@Miami) for Marc Bulger (@SF)
Benched Aaron Brooks (@TB) for Chad Pennington (vNYG)
Benched Edgerrin James (@Miami) for Marcel Shipp (vCincy)
Keeping Shipp and Zereoue on the bench in favor of Correll Buckhalter (@Atl)
Starting Ike Hilliard (vNYJ) over Terry Glenn (vWas)

It's funny that I have Manning and Bulger in the HTF league and nobody has made me a trade offer for either of them. And there are at least three teams that have openly complained about not having a reliable QB. I'm fortunate enough to be in second place overall so I will likely sit on both of them until somebody brings me a decent offer.

Brad

Mark Schermerhorn

Second Unit
Brad, heh, I kind of agree with you, but in my league we have to start a kicker and keep a backup. Plus it's an even match this week, I'm #2 in my league, going after the #1 guy. If I win, I take over first. So I'm overanalyzing, yes.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
First I'll offer my advice and then ask my own question.

John Thomas:

League 1 - Kitna, Ward, Bruce, Smith, Barber, Shipp
League 2 - Bulger, Owens, Coles, Toomer, Davis, Williams
League 3 - Bulger, Ward, Smith, Wayne, Williams, Barber
HTF League - McNabb, Steve Smith, Jimmy Smith, Buckhalter, Garner

Scott Merryfield:

Green, James, Driver, Davis, Rice (or Thomas for the last pick) ;)

Mark Schermerhorn:

Of the two kickers, I'd probably go with Carney.

---

OK, so here's my slight dilemma. I have to start three WRs, two of whom will be Hines Ward and Jimmy Smith. Pick one of these guys for the third:

Terry Glenn vs. Washington
Deion Branch at Denver
Peerless Price vs. Philadelphia

Also, has there been any negative news about the playing status of Michael Pittman? If so I got CMart and Moe Williams as plugins, but I think I'd like to stick with Pittman if he's healthy.

Have a great Sunday, all. Go Eagles.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Brad, heh, I kind of agree with you, but in my league we have to start a kicker and keep a backup.
That's a silly rule. I agree completely with Brad that having more than one kicker on your roster (except for a bye week) is a complete waste. There are usually several decent kickers on the waiver wire, and most of the kickers have very similar fantasy point totals. I never even draft a kicker until the very late rounds.

Scott, Pittman is still starting in Tampa, so I woul leave him in the lineup. As for your receiver choices, I would probably go with Terry Glenn. However, you may want to consider Branch, since Troy Brown is listed as doubtful vs. Denver.

Thanks for the starting advice. I traded Rice, though, as part of a deal for Kitna, so I'm starting Thomas over Hilliard.

Mark Schermerhorn

Second Unit
*shrug* I don't know, the league I'm in has been around a long time, and the rules never change. I don't mind having to have 2 kickers. I'm commisioner this year, and I did try to change a bunch of the rules but there was pretty much universal resistance. Oh well.

Oh I'm winning my game...I'm up by 16 points, with Moss going tonight, him with Bubba Franks. Game over :D

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I decided to play Hilliard and benched Driver (instead of Thomas). My moves worked out very well. Everyone except Kitna and Domanick Davis did well, so I'm up by 31 points at halftime of the Sunday night game, and still have another half for Ahman Green plus TE Daniel Graham and a defensive player tomorrow night. My opponent is essentially done (just a Green Bay linebacker).

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Good thing you didn't listen to me about A-Train. :b
Something I read said that he wasn't going to play. Gotta love those free ffb sites. :rolleyes

SPeaking of, do those sites help out considerably? I've noticed that, for example, that some people will pick up players a day or two before I get "the goods" on that player. Like by my using free sources of infomration I'm getting it a bit delayed.

In one of the leagues that I'm in 1st place, I'm up enough so that the only way I can lose is if Jason Elam kicks 7 fgs tomorrow night. :)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
The only FF site (pay or non-pay) that I check out frequently is http://www.fftoday.com/ .

They have a very cool section in their forum called "A Little Help??" which is where you'd post your "Who Do I Start?" questions.

Yay Eagles. :emoji_thumbsup:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The following link will give you hot links to all the daily info at all the free sites:

http://www.fantasysportscentral.com/...nner.asp?num=0

Keep in mind that there are lots of different opinions, so you'll find that a player listed as "start 'em" at one site will probably show up as "bench 'em" on another site. The best use of the free sites is to get updated injury info.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
Revisiting my start/bench decisions:

Benched Peyton Manning (14.44) for Marc Bulger (15.12) = +.68
Benched Aaron Brooks (10.60) for Chad Pennington (24.15) = +13.55
Benched Edgerrin James (16.80) for Marcel Shipp (14.50) = -2.30
Keeping Shipp (8) and Zereoue (1) on the bench in favor of Correll Buckhalter (4) = -4
Starting Ike Hilliard (11.50) over Terry Glenn (18.00) = -6.5

Total difference due to my roster intervention = 14.23 - 12.8 = 1.43

The only major positive difference was Pennington, although this was easily predicatable since Brooks was facing the Bucs D.

Here's this week's dilemma:

Deuce is on a bye week
Edgerrin James vs Jacksonville is one starter

For the second starter, should I go with...

Michael Bennett at San Diego (25th in ypg allowed)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Brad, I would go with Bennett. While he will share carries with Williams, San Diego has a poor run defense, so Bennett may bust some long runs. Starting Bettis is a big risk -- he appears to be about finished. I would start Shipp vs. Pittsburgh before trying Bettis.

My starting choices are easy this week as long as Domanick Davis's injury is not serious.

QB - TGreen vs. Cleve. (Kitna and Boller on bench)
RB - AGreen vs. Philly, EJames vs. Jax, AThomas vs. Det, DDavis vs. Cincy
WR - Hilliard vs. Atl

bench - Driver vs. Philly, McCariens and Calico vs. Miami, Streets on bye

I sure am glad we only are required to start 1 WR and 1 RB, with the other three positions being flex.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the linkage, Scott(s). So far it looks pretty spiff.

Brad - I'd go with Bennett as well. I figure he'll get the vast majority of the carries but maybe get some TDs vultured by Moe (as he did last year). Shipp is the Cardinals' offense, but is it that good? ;) Bettis is through methinks. There's no way they don't go with Zereoue.

ScottM - TGreen I wouldn't say is automatic. Kitna vs that very porous Houston pass D is worth a consideration. Your RBs are solid and that's awesome that you have 3 flex positions (for your situation anyhow). I'm in a league where I've got tons of good RBs (5 for 2 start slots) and only 4 WR for 3 slots. Hilliard vs ATL should be some good points...maybe Calico vs Miami would be a sleeper pick.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Having 4 leagues is too much (I'm sure I've said this before..)

Here's my "help!"s for the week:

League 1 (local 6 man league)
WR (pick 3) LColes, AToomer, SMoss, JPorter, EMoulds
RB (pick 2) SDavis, JLewis, CGarner, RWilliams, AThomas
Flex 1 of the rest

Note: I packaged a tradefor a top WR; Coles and Garner for Harrison. Yeah, I know Harrison is one of the top 3 but the guy who has him has more issues @ RB. Coles is not -as- good but a decent RB as well? Maybe I'm off base.
---
League 2 (HTF/AHL League aka trash league)
QB Mcnabb or Delhomme
WR (pick 2) IBruce, KMcCardell, JSmith, SSmith
RB (pick 2) CGarner, CBuckhalter, RJohnson, AHarris, OSmith, JJackson
Flex for 1 more

I'm sure I should drop Harris and Onterrio but there's abso-FRIGGIN-nobody on waivers to get. I mean the people in the htf/ahl league are some friggin' vultures! And James Jackson probably won't be worth keeping after this week. Way to show 'em Browns administration. Your main RB gets arrested (second time?) and you suspend em for one whole game. Hrm.
---
League 3 (HBS Monkeyhouse)

WR (pick 3) HWard, SSmith, KRobinson, RWayne
RB (pick 2) RWilliams, TBarber, MWilliams, CDillon, DDavis (GHearst on bye)

This is the league I'm talking about with the overabundance of RBs. Nobody wants any of 'em but I'm not gonna drop them so someone can beat me with them either. :D
---
League Fo ("Money" league)

QB Mcnabb or Kitna
WR (pick 3) IBruce, HWard, SSmith, JPorter, RGardner
RB (pick 2) TBarber, MShipp, FTaylor, JBettis

Rudi Johnson is available, thinking of switching him with Bettis. And, this one really kills me, Randy Mcmichael is available @ TE. In other leagues I've had to juggle a decent TE...and I've got THeap in this one. Ugh.

-Gracias

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks