What's new

Fantasy Football 2003 (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Hi guys. Back again looking for a little advice.

Pick 2 Running Backs:

Curtis Martin @ Philadelphia
Moe Williams vs. Giants
Michael Pittman vs. Cowboys

Pick 1 Wide Receiver:

Terry Glenn @ Tampa Bay
Deion Branch vs. Browns
Dennis Northcutt @ New England

The "bye" weeks are screwin' me big-time this weekend. ;)

Thanks.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
Pick 2 Running Backs:

Punt. Or start Williams and Pittman. I'm not sure I trust CuMar to put up much in the way of fantasy points anymore this season.

Pick 1 Wide Receiver:

Glenn. The TB secondary is banged up big time. Glenn should find the holes where John Lynch would have been.

Brad

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the advice, Brad. I was leaning in both of those directions and I believe your feedback has helped to seal the deal. (Plus I really don't want to start Martin against the Eagles...because then I can't root for him.) :D

Wish me luck.

Go Eagles.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Pittman sure racked it up today. Matter of fact, today was quite a day for fantasy football players. I played someone today that had Eddie George - his best day of the season (or last few seasons I think) but fortunately I had Stephen Davis to more than counter it.

What I really need to do is get some decent (read consistent) WRs. I've got TOwens, EMoulds, LColes, ABoldin, JPorter. There's a few decent ones out in the FA pool but nothing of an upgrade really. I'd like to trade for one but I dunno what I'd trade. Bulger/BJohnson @ QB, SDavis/JLewis/RWilliams/CGarner/JBettis @ RB..I'd trade one of my solid RBs for a solid WR but I haven't had any luck so far.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
What I really need to do is get some decent (read consistent) WRs.
I have the same problem. My RB situation is looking pretty good. I have Ahman Green, E. James, Domanick Davis and Anthony Thomas. However, my WR's are Driver, Streets, Hilliard, Rice, Deion Branch, and Justin McCariens. Once A-Train gets healthy, I may start four RB's and only one WR the rest of the season unless I can make a deal that doesn't make me too thin at RB (I'm 6-2 and tied for first in my division of a 12 team league).

John, with those RB's, you should be able to make a deal for a good WR. Since Owens and the Niners are in such a funk, why not package T.O. with Garner to improve at receiver?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I survived my bye week from hell, with Ahman Green, Donald Driver, and Rice being out and then also losing Anthony Thomas vs. Detroit to injury (I was so far down my roster that I started Deion Branch in place of A-Train). I still won thanks to Ike Hilliard, Trent Green and Domanick Davis.

This week I play the undefeated first place team from the other division, and my thin spot is QB. Trent Green's on a bye, Jay Fiedler is hurt (and may have lost his job to Griese anyway), so my only option right now is Tommy Maddox at Seattle. Fortunately, my opponent's QBs are McNair (bye week), Vick (injured), and Kanell.

I'm picking up Kyle Boller off waivers just to block my opponent from getting him, but I also put an offer out to McNab's owner, who is a very frustrated 1-6. He likes Maddox, so I offered him straight up. Hopefully he will bite -- he's made some very bad trades in the past.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Maddox isn't too bad of an option; he's shown the ability to put up some solid numbers.

I also won despite losing a lot of players to the Bye Week. I replaced Favre with Garcia (17 points) Garner with Pittman (13 pts.), Gardner with J. Smith (12 pts.) and Peerless with Terry Glenn (2 :angry: pts.)

But lo and behold! I was 6-1 and my opponent was 7-0. Thanks mainly to Hines Ward, Chiefs D and VanderSuperKicker...that guy's not undefeated anymore. :) I've now taken first place on a 7-game winning streak. Which is great because I usually kinda stink in this particular money league. Ya gotta love when you steal a win that you probably shouldn't have had. :D:D:D

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
Scott, you might consider starting J Smith instead of Rod Gardner for a bit. The snowman has done good for me so far.

Pittman is also a good back-up with Alstott gone.

(can you tell I have them both on my team?)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I agree with you on both players, Greg. Thanks for the advice. I'm having one of those "WHO DO I START?" dilemmas every weekend. Having depth is a good thing, but it also makes for some head-slapper-in-hindsight mistakes.

Pick the starters!

QB - Brett Favre, Jeff Garcia, Pat Ramsey

RB - Charlie Garner, Curtis Martin, Michael Pittman, Moe Williams

WR - Hines Ward, Jimmy Smith, Rod Gardner, Terry Glenn, Deion Branch, Dennis Northcutt

Kicker and D are definitely KC and VanderSuperKicker, so no headaches there!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Scott, for this week I would start the following:

QB - Favre
RB - Garner (vs. Detroit), Pittman, Martin
WR - Ward, Smith

Unless things change, my lineup will be:

QB - Maddox (Green's on a bye)
RB - Ahman Green, Domanick Davis (vs. Carolina), E. James (vs. Miami)
WR - Driver (vs. Minn), Hilliard

bench: Rice (vs. Detroit), Streets, Anthony Thomas, Deion Branch

I do not like the matchups for my RB's Davis and James, but I usually do not bench high quality players based on matchups. If Anthony Thomas somehow gets healthy, though, I would like to get him in the lineup since he plays against San Diego. I think Driver would be the most likely candidate to bench in this case.

Rob TT

Stunt Coordinator
What do you guys think?

Should I trade Ricky Williams and David Bosten for

Ahman Green and Torry Holt?

Sounds good to me, what would you do?

Thanks

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Should I trade Ricky Williams and David Bosten for Ahman Green and Torry Holt?
I would make that trade in a heartbeat. Pull the trigger before the other owner changes his mind. In our league, Green, Holmes and Tomlinson have almost equal average weekly point totals, and are several points per week ahead of every other RB (including Williams). Torry Holt and Randy Moss are the top receivers, while David Boston has been a huge disappointment. The league rewards receptions and both rushing/receiving yardage, so RB's that catch the ball are very valuable.

After the trade, make sure you pickup Davenport to protect yourself from a Green injury.

FYI, I have Green (and Davenport) in my money league, and have both Holt and Williams in a 2nd league. I'm in first place in each league.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Scott (W): Here's how I sees it:

QB - Brett Favre, easily. Minnesota likes to give it up and they're gonna give up about 270 and 2 tds. The others are bad matchups.

RB - Charlie Garner/ Michael Pittman: Garner's had a week off and against the Lions; Pittman up against the soft Saints D. Others dont matchup so well.

WR - Hines Ward and Jimmy Smith or Deion Branch (probably Smith). Smith is better odds since he's the #1 but against good LBs; Branch is part of the WRBC but against an injured Denver D - Brady might have more time.

The big points game o' the week is going to be Pittsburgh/Seattle. As always, start all your players from these teams - yahtzee.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the advice, fellas. I left out one important note.

In this league, we start 2 RBs and 3 WRs OR 1 RB and 4 WRs.

I wish I could start three running backs!!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
In this league, we start 2 RBs and 3 WRs OR 1 RB and 4 WRs.
In that case, Scott, I would start Garner and Pittman at RB, and Ward, Smith and Gardner at WR. I'm not a fan of Deion Branch. I started him out of desperation during my bye week from hell, but I've cut him twice this season -- he's way too inconsistent.

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
Philly fan Scott, I agree with Scott from MI. Garner is practically a WR, and a good one at that. Plus he'll mix in some runs along the way which should add to your weekend. Old Thunder (or was he Lightening?) is still a pretty good RB in my league since 10 yds passing/running = 1pt, and 1 catch = 1pt

Now, down to business... Would you mind if I used your Eagles symbol, or possibly that cool Eagles flag that has disappeared from your sig? I'm too lazy to do it myself, so I'd like to steal yours.. :) Please, buddy ol' pal..

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member

Feel free to steal the one I'm using now if you like it. I could send you the flapping flag pic as well, but it's an animated gif and therefore not suitable for an HTF sig. Which is why I took it down! :D

Or if you do a Google Pictures search for "Philadelphia Eagles pic/avatar/gif/icon/logo" you're sure to find a whole buncha stuff. But no, I don't mind if you just snag this one, URL and all.

--

But back on topic...I'm a freaking moron. Why? Well, I'll tell you. My league's "pickup time" runs from the end of MNF to Wednesday 8PM. That's the only time you can claim free agents. So because of a website glitch and my own stupidity, I forgot to pick up a Defense this week. This is a problem because my only Defense (KC) has a BYE this week.

So I'm staring at a ZERO for my Defense this week. So then I call one of the only two owners in the league who currently have two Defenses on their team. After much stress and strife, I had to give up Rod Gardner for Green Bay's Defense...which I will start precisely once and then drop.

Because I'm a moron.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Scott, I guess you had no alternative to picking up a defense? Gardner's not such a sacrifice but for a one-time deal, yeah that's not too good. Moron. :D

Ok, all joking aside, here's where I need help - I've got a few leagues where I'm wishy-washy about my lineup. I'll list the slots to fill and then my roster. Here goes:

League 1- 1 QB, 3 WR, 2 RB (1 TE, K & DEF)

QBs: Kitna or McNubb
WRs: Bruce, Ward, Porter, Steve Smith, RGardner
RBs: Barber, Shipp, Hearst, Taylor, Bettis
(TE- heap, K- Vanderdrunker, DEF- NE)

League 2- 1 QB, 3 WR, 2 RB, TE, WR/RB

QBs: Bulger, BJohnson
WRs: TOwens, AToomer, LColes, ABoldin, EMoulds, JPorter
RBs: RWilliams, SDavis, JLewis, CGarner, JBettis
(TE- McMichael, K- Wilkins, DEF- Bucs)

League 3- 1 Qb, 3 Wr, 2 Rb TE,K, DEF

QBs: Bulger (thats it, no backup)
WRs: KRobinson, HWard, Steve Smith, RWayne
RBs: RWilliams, Ghearst, MWilliams, CDillon, TBarber, DomDavis
(TE- Ricks, K Elam, DE- Dallas)

HTF league (this one is terrible) 1 qb, 2 wr, 2 rb, 1 wr/rb

QBs: Mcnubb, Carr
WRs: Bruce, JSmith, Steve Smith, K Mccardell
RBs: CGarner, CBuckhalter, Rudi Johnson, Arlen Harris, OntSmith, james Jackson
(TE- BMiller, K Longwell, DEF - Iggles)

Whew. I kinda keep up with 'em as much as I can but I think my limit is 3; after that it becomes too much. :)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I had to give up Rod Gardner for Green Bay's Defense...which I will start precisely once and then drop.
Since the Pack are playing the Vikings in what could be a high scoring game, you may have been better off giving up the few defensive points and kept Gardner. We use individual defensive players in both my leagues, though, so feel free to discard that opinion if defensive team points are still quite significant (I never deal with that).

John,

League 1: Kitna, Barber, Shipp, Ward, Bruce and Porter
League 2: Bulger, SDavis, Garner, Owens, Moulds, Porter
League 3: Bulger, Williams, Barber, Ward, Smith, Robinson

I can't believe I'm suggesting benching RWilliams in your #2 league, but those other RB matchups are too good to pass up (Garner vs. Detroit, Davis vs. Houston)

Users who are viewing this thread