What's new

Fantastic 4 Reboot (1 Viewer)

Nigel P

Second Unit
Real Name
Nigel
I have found the story behind this film fascinating. US box office this weekend:

http://pro.boxoffice.com/latest-news/2015-08-14-north-america-thursday-night-report-straight-outta-compton-bows-to-excellent-496m-the-man-from-uncle-captures-900k

The bad news continued for Fantastic Four this weekend as Fox's superhero franchise re-launch attempt was down two spots to place in fourth with an estimated $8.00 million. Fantastic Four was down a massive 69 percent from last weekend's already disappointing start. The sharp second weekend decline for Fantastic Four didn't come as a surprise given the film's toxic word of mouth, the competition it faced from the break-out performance of Straight Outta Compton and the Fantastic Four franchise being naturally front-loaded to begin with. Fantastic Four has managed just $41.96 million in ten days. The film is currently running 57 percent behind the $97.46 million ten-day gross of 2007's Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer.

International box office:

http://deadline.com/2015/08/mission-impossible-rogue-nation-fantastic-four-brothers-the-man-from-uncle-international-box-office-results-1201499958/

For the studios, Fox’s Fantastic Four is in 2nd place with $16.23M from 8,273 screens in 54 markets. The cume is $60.14M internationally with some solid holds, especially in Latin America and parts of Europe.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
What do you think the final domestic total will be? I'm not sure if it will even hit $55M

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The one silver lining for Fox or Marvel is that in a year or two, average people will forget that this movie even existed and fans will be more than willing to pretend that it never happened so either studio will have no problem using the FF again in a different capacity.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I saw "FF" the other day. I knew it was getting savage reviews but I didn't read any of them in advance - I was just aware it was supposed to be terrible.

I settled into my chair and thought the intro went pretty well. I liked the look at young Reed and Ben and felt the movie let us know about them pretty well.

But the movie had to go into the crapper soon, right?

We then move to High School Reed and Ben. Okay, it stretches credulity to ask us to accept actors in their late 20s as high schoolers, but these moments advance the plot well enough and introduce new characters in a satisfying way.

We're a good half an hour into a 100-minute movie - the crappy part's gotta hit soon, right?

Nope - and for this viewer, it never did. By no stretch of the imagination will I call "FF" a great comic book movie, but for the life of me, I don't get the dominance of the negative reviews.

I think it offers an entertaining and well-told origin story. Does it take too long to get to the action? Probably, but that's the nature of the origin story beast, and FF movies become even more difficult to tell in an efficient manner due to the size of the cast. A Spider-Man or Batman movie just needs to set up the backstory for one lead character - FF movies need to do it for four! Sure, the origin of their powers is one plot point, but we still need time to flesh out the lives of the four "normal characters".

As I recall, the 2005 "FF" took forever to get to the action, and when the fights did arrive, I was so bored that I didn't care. That didn't occur with the 2015 film. While I'd have liked a little more action before the climax, I think the finale works well and becomes nearly rousing, honestly. I felt excited at times during this film - that emotion never threatened to manifest itself during the 2005 flick.

Does the 2015 "FF" have flaws? Sure, mainly because it requires the characters to act like morons a little too much of the time. They engage in some rampantly stupid behavior that exists solely to move along the plot. But that's a flaw in many movies of this sort, so I won't slam "FF" for the same cinematic "sin".

Does the film seem "dark" for the FF? Yup, but I think the tone works for the story. In "Man of Steel", the somber, serious feel just doesn't connect - it seems forced and self-conscious. The same is true for the "Amazing Spider-Man" flicks - they seem gloomy for no logical reason.

In "FF", I think the darkness functions just fine. This works as an alternate version of the characters and I think it develops matters well.

I guess I'm in a significant minority, but I really enjoyed "FF". Through the whole movie, I kept waiting for it to suck, and it never did. I'm disappointed we won't get a sequel, as I'd like to see where this interpretation of the characters would go...

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
1/10

Green Lantern is lightyears better than this. Went in with no expectations. Did not watch the trailer, as usual. The movie ended where other movies typically end their 2nd acts.

I understand Josh Trank thinks he had a better movie planned. Perhaps this is another David Fincher / Alien 3 ordeal.

But...

IN THE MOVIE I SAW LAST NIGHT...
  1. BOOOOO! Kids in adult movies suck. Especially kids who do completely unbelievable things like build transporters in their parent's garage.
  2. High School students who build transporters to "other dimensions" suck too. They don't look like high schoolers and I don't believe for a second that any of them are smarter than the scientists and engineers who have decades of experience on them.
  3. Another "DIMENSION?" What? Are they f**king serious? Do the writers even know what that is? They call it "Planet Zero" for christ sake! (It's like someone forgot to change the working title!) Why didn't they just say another planet?
  4. Changing the skin color of Johnny Storm was COMPLETELY ARBITRARY. There was no reason for it other than to cast Michael B. Jordan and shoehorn in an adoption element for Sue...for no reason.
  5. Plot threads that go...nowhere! Reed Richards escapes to accomplish what? NOTHING.
  6. Everyone is an engineer (capable of welding machinery) and a computer programmer, and in impeccable shape and can fight?
  7. Oh for god's sake, enough with the pity party. I am SICK. AND. TIRED. of characters gaining super powers only to immediately want to find a 'cure' for them. Reed says, "I can fix this." Fix what? You have super powers! EMBRACE the super powers! Do you hear me studios?
  8. Why would Doom want to go live on some shitty rock planet with no one else? And why wouldn't the F4 just...let him leave? For f**k's sake! What the hell was happening at the end? Doom wants to destroy the Earth because his character's name in the script is preceded by "Bad Guy"?
  9. I came to see FANTASTIC 4. What I got was 90% of 'kids' pretending to be master scientists and inventing some new tech, and 10% of nearly-inconsequential superhero movie action.
Dare I say the other F4 movies are better? UGH! That hurts to say! A lot! A whole lot! What about that Roger Corman one they never released? Never saw it, but it has to be better than this!

20th Century Fox --> This movie is a big pile of steaming poo! Please sell the rights back to Marvel! This movie will definitely set careers back a few years!

p.s. Thanks for paying for my ticket though Fox. I purchased Days Of Future Past 3D on Blu-ray because it included movie money for F4. Best $8 I ever saved!

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I saw this today with a free movie pass. I'd give it a C-.

I was on board with this movie for most of it at about a B- until the famously bad ending came.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
I went to see just how awful it was going to be but it wasn't the the disaster I was expecting. I was thinking it was going to be a bomb worse than Catwoman and the Spirit (worst Comic Book movie ever made). In fact, I liked it a lot. Everything was working up until just before they got their powers. Characters then started doing dumb things. Reed did some things I didn't think he would do. I liked the slow build-up til then and the effort it took to design and create the transporter machine. I also liked how they didn't automatically adapt to their new powers. it also seemed down right painful. Too bad the characters were confined to the Lab for the most part until the tacked on ending. Still, I liked the movie.

This would have been better had it not been a Fantastic Four movie and I think I liked it more than the Tim Story versions. I liked the new cast but Chris Evans was the better Johnny.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Man o man. Just saw this. I really liked it. I give it a solid 7/10.

The behind-the-scenes story might have been rough but I enjoyed it a lot. I will not forget this movie in 1 or 2 years and I will watch it again in the future. I cared about the characters. I did not enjoy at all the previous Fantastic Four movies and I have no desire to watch them again.

The movie played perfectly well and everything clicked with me until the baddie showed up. The movie feels rushed and I would have preferred it if they had used and experienced their powers in the normal world against a non supernatural villain.

Another example not to listen to reviews. Watch and experience movies yourself.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
You guys are almost tempting me to blind buy this film. It's $9.99 on sale this week.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Tino said:
You guys are almost tempting me to blind buy this film. It's $9.99 on sale this week.

I'd probably advise against a blind buy. $5 streaming rental, sure, but that's where I'd draw the line. It wasn't a total disaster. It was two thirds one movie, with the final third almost a completely different feature (which at the least makes it easy to spot where the reshoots began). I think it brushed up a couple interesting ideas, especially in the middle, but on the whole I didn't think it was a very good movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks