What's new

FANNY (1961/Leslie Caron) coming April 2008? (1 Viewer)

Charles H

Screenwriter
I understand that WB no longer owns the rights to FANNY. It's got a great cast, great score (adapted from a Broadway musical version of FANNY), and superb location work by Jack Cardiff. It's been showing recently on cable and it looks pretty good. I would love to see the never-shown 1938 version of Pagnol's work THE PORT OF SEVEN SEAS--directed by James Whale, scripted by Preston Sturges, with Wallace Beery, Maureen O'Sullivan, John Beal, and Frank Morgan. Has anyone seen it?

Greg_M

Screenwriter
WB mentioned they didn't have the rights in the last chat. Glad Image is releasing the film - it really is underrated, nominated for 5 Oscars including Best Picture and Best Actor (1961) Leslie Caron attended a screening a few years ago and the image was pretty much square - this was not a widescreen film

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
I searched and found several threads for FANNY, but wasn't sure if this was the appropriate one to post in...
However...

...this movie is finally on its way, June 17, 2008.
It was always on my list of films that I thought would never make it to dvd.

Curiously, Barnes and Noble has it listed with a "bonus CD"...
but I don't find this extra listed at Image's own site,
or on Amazon.
hmmm.....

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
There is one other website, where for months, this has been listed with a bonus cd.

If so, it would not be the originally released album. that is a rerecording owned byWarner Bros Records.

It there is a bonus cd, might it be the actual aoundtrack of the film, released for the first time?

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Why are they listing this as widescreen. When I saw it in the theater it wasn't widescreen but Square. Leslie Caron spoke before the screening - LCMA in LA a few years ago

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
It was released in 1961 so the aspect ratio should be 1.85:1. I have a copy of the Laserdisc release and it was also widescreen. My guess is the film was not hard matted so at the screening you attended it was shown full frame by accident which I would find almost impossible at venue you saw it at so I have no real answer.

Was there anything interesting that Miss Caron said about the film that sticks out in your mind?

Enjoyable film and I will certainly replace my disc if the quality is there.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Looking forward to seeing this for the first time.
I was also happy to see the DD and DVD Planet sales will run thru the 24th which means this can be snagged for $13.49.

Greg_M

Screenwriter

To be honest, I don't remember. But she was charmng and so sweet. She still looked very good. Very classy

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
It's on TCM tomorrow night (6/7, 8pm EST), as part of a night of Caron features including a "Private Screenings" interview with Robert Osborne.

RoyM

Stunt Coordinator
All of which brings up the question (for me):

Why in the heck is Lili not yet on DVD???

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Agreed! Where is that one?
The order in which certain 'standard' old movies have been released on dvd is very odd...some of the most obscure have been out for a long while, while more famous titles languish in the vaults.

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman

It's a 1:85 film - I wouldn't be surprised if LCMA showed a 16mm print, which would account for the open matte.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Barnes and Noble's website has now removed the "Bonus CD" part of their info for this film...at any rate, it is a real 'sleeper' of a movie, and i can't wait to own it.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Amazon delivered my copy yesterday.
It is all done well...the transfer is clear, though color seems a trifle on the 'yellow'/warm side...the original soundtrack is intact, and the new 5.1 reminds me of the old VHS 'videophonic' style tracks....i don't believe that it is any sort of true stereo, but it is given a wide stage....
The artifacts noted and screencaptured on DVDBeaver have been taken care of.
They were not present on my copy.
Even the menu screens are pretty.

The Bonus CD is included.
It is a liscensing of the 1961 Warner Bros Records' orignal soundtrack recording,
and its stereo sound is fine.....(I had found a mono version of this LP years ago at a garage sale, and believe me, the stereo tracks on CD are a huge improvement).

The music is a huge attraction of this piece so it was great to have this bonus.

The film itself is a trifle long, but worth it....one of those rare combinations of comedy and bittersweet moments. Caron is delightful in it and her fans should not miss this. Jack Cardiff's photography, as one would expect, is breathtaking, especially the outtdoor scenes of the Marseilles waterfront.

To me it all has a sort of 'foreign film' feel to it that Hollywood movies of that time rarely captured.....in ways it reminded me of SUMMERTIME, or even CINEMA PARADISO in its style.
Lovely gem, rediscovered.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Green Mountaineer
Recent bookmarks