What's new

Fan noises from projectors?! (1 Viewer)

nystad

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
I've been running a Mitsubishi projector now for a little over a year. I don't recall the model number offhand but as a somewhat general question, do you guys know if there are significant differences between the sound generated from different projectors whether fan noise or whatever? I would say that during some movies when the scene is fairly quiet, the projector fan is fairly noticeable and at times I feel quite annoying.Any overall thoughts?I was also wondering if anyone has devised some sort of device to mount underneath the unit to at least cut down on the noise that can be heard directly below. The projector is mounted on the ceiling. Due to the room set up centrally above the listening area, sofa. I thought that there must be some sort of device out there aside from building a wood platform around the side and bottom of the projector?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Projectors get hot. Fans make noise.Now that that is out of the way...You could get a piece of wood/plastic and cover it with Dynil, unless that would be an eyesore.If you have an HVAC duct overhead you could(have) design(ed) a box the projector sits in.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
The model # would help. One reason could be the projector is a business model, which tend to be louder than one designed for home theater. Reason # 2 is you may have the bulb set to high power mode. This is the brighter setting and always louder than the eco(low power mode).

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Absolutely there are differences but ironically enough one of the quietest projectors Ive ever owned was a Mitsubishi HC3000. Mitsubishi is legendary for making very quiet home theater projectors but maybe your model isnt one of them. A JVC HD550 I owned for a little while was also whisper quiet, noticably quieter than the newer generation JVC RS60 I use now, go figure eh?The simpliest thing to do is run the projector in Eco mode so the fan can run slower. You might be able to create sound absorbsion directly around the projector (being mindful not to obstruct airflow) but Im not sure how you would do that on a ceiling mounted projector and it still look less than hidious.

nystad

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
That's great information. You guys are great. I will get the model number just for the heck of it when I'm back in town.I would say, the fan is probably not overly loud and I'm probably the only one who would notice it aside from type a personalities like you guys. I do think any sort of platform underneath would be somewhat hideous and not worth it when I think about it more.I will look into the eco-mode. Thanks

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Bummer, it is noisier than most and your complaint is not really nitpicking. Ive always found anything above 20dB annoying but maybe you can find a solution with some acoustic treatments.
Like most DLP home theater projectors (and a few others), the HC7800 projector is a bit noisy when running the lamp at full power. Not too bad, though. I believe Mitsubishi claims 31 db at full power, and that seems about right. The 25db claim for eco-mode also seems about right. The quietest projectors get down to about 16 db in eco-mode (call that silent for all practical purposes). But most home projectors are in the 18-26 db range in eco-mode, and run from about 23 to 33 db at full power. Bottom line, if you are particularly noise adverse, you won’t like the HC7800D at full power, but then, you also won’t like about 75% of the remaining home theater projectors either. Not bad, not great, the HC7800D’s audible noise levels are nothing to get excited about – but probably won’t be a real issue for you.
http://www.projectorreviews.com/mitsubishi/mitsubishi-hc7800d-sharpness/#audible-noise

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Hopefully it isn't already running eco-mode.Can't imagine an installer doing this theater and setting it up in high-power. But hey, all the change-ups you've had to make...Different (more) subs Different (bigger) centerPossibly needing more powerHaving the projector setup in high-power might not be a stretch.I'm lucky that most theatres I design are for $600,000 homes and up(in an area that a $500,000 home is 3000-4000sf and sitting on 2-3 acres. Lots of "well to do Chicago exiles").Whenever possible, I put the projector in a vented enclosure. When called for, a motorized ceiling tray mount. You could still enclose the projector using the same drywall/texture/color as the current ceiling. Just make sure to either...Make it big enough.Or add vent tubing.

nystad

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
You are right in that the theater was sub-par in design, equipment although he was trying to keep cost down and, since we were overwhelmed in other home design, building aspects, I did not give this area adequate though, planning w/ him. Although he should have demanded. Most fault is on his side.

I have replaced all 3 speakers, added 3 subs, replaced receiver, changed out remote all in about one year.

I love the projector's picture quality, but if the sound was reduced by say 30-50%, it would likely be inconsequential. I read the projector manual and there is nothing on the high power vs eco mode that I can find so I'll probably call Mitsubishi to get more info here. I wonder if one compromises picture performance in the eco mode?

Seems like the sound contamination aspect should have altered the decision here or w/ the home build, we could have recessed it like you mention. I would have also made the room a bit smaller and altered design to improve acoustic design as well. Few feet smaller and I bet the acoustics in the room would be much better. Size was bit overkill I think.

I'll probably look to see about the projector setting and if already optimized, leave as is I guess. The only other thing I've thrown around as a last tweak for now, was to swap the wafr in-walls for a box speaker for the back 4 but again, might not be worth the hassle in the end. I'm thinking I upgrade projector in a few years and live w/ it. Its surely a nice system in the end and didn't over pay.

Thanks again for the insight. Very useful knowledge.

Btw, if you know any good installers for consultation, tweaking, in the Minneapolis, MN metro, drop me a recommendation if you don't mind.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Bring up the projector's menu, and search until you find something for the bulb setting. High power is normally labeled Standard or Normal. Low power should say either Eco or Low.

nystad

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
One more...

Assuming I don't want to tear up the wall (don't think i have enough room b/f I hit garage floor concrete anyway) and simply want to replace the
projector w/ similar quality w/ primary goal to get as quiet as a projector as possible, any recommendations. Would not be a major cost consideration
when one factors in selling the projector and the fact that they are not crazy expensive. Our heads literally are about 4-5 feet directly below the projector
and now I can't stop hearing the fan noise. Are there similar units where the companies have specifically focused on this issue of sound?

nystad

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
I don't see eco mode but I do see that I normally have had in 3D mode option which is vibrant, best looking picture of the options but I see that when I put into cinema mode, video mode and others the noisy fan seems to turn off, then turn back on soon as its put back into 3D vibrant mode. Maybe the 3D mode is the only mode requiring the fan but im also wondering if after say 20 minutes of use, there will still be a temp trigger that engages the fan in any mode? i'll see. thanks....

nystad

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
20 minutes of movie watching. Still don't hear the loud fan engaging as could be heard previously in the 3-D setting. I'm guessing that was the problem. Completely bearable now.You guys are great!

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
You were right. I just scanned the review of your projector at Projectorcentral, and they said when you choose the 3D setting, it sets the bulb to "Standard" or high brightness. They suggest using the "Cinema" setting, and Medium color temperature.

You still need to find the bulb setting though to see how it's set. I suggest you post in the HC7800 thread at Avsforum. Set it to "Low" or "Eco" and then calibrate it with a calibration disc.

nystad

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
I went through every menu option that I can see and cannot seem to find the bulb option. I will try again tomorrow however and hopefully be able to post some instructions for others after that. Thanks.

pippin65

Auditioning
Real Name
thom
call me crazy but would it be possible to switch out the fan for a higher quality one? I imagine the existing fan plugs into a board in the unit and that the fan controller resides there. Noctua makes great pc fans and I'll bet there's a fan that may fit out of the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks