What's new

Fan for built-in cabinets (1 Viewer)

zachjen_335652

Auditioning
Real Name
zach
I just moved into a house and it has built in cabinets (pic attached). Of course the wife would like to have everything inside of them. I really have no problem with that I just want to do it right. Anyone have suggestions for a good media cabinet fan? The components will go in the cabinet on the left side of the fireplace. I was planning to exhaust the heat into the wall with the fireplace. Too hot? Anybody see problems with that or have any better ideas I would appreciate your input as this is my first time dealing with all this.

Also I need advice on ir extenders. No glass on the cabinets. I will have a receiver, Xbox 360 and Comcast cable box inside the cabinets. will I need to have multiple ir receivers sitting outside the cabinets?

HT.jpg

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If it is hollow back there, you could make two square cuts and vent right into the wall cavity. Then you can use 1, or 2, temperature controlled outlets...
http://www.amazon.com/Lux-Heating-Cooling-Programmable-Thermostat/dp/B000E7NYY8/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1372787464&sr=1-2&keywords=thermostatically+controlled+outlet (programmable)

Then it would just circulate into the wall. The one above...blow into the cavity, the one below draw air back in from the wall cavity.
http://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-AI-CFD120BA-Cabinet-Amplifier/dp/B009CO543S/ref=sr_1_5?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1372787295&sr=1-5&keywords=120+vent+fan

Just make sure you install the fans so they are relatively easy to remove to clean. Looks to be enough room you can put those in where you can still pull them out.

And the fan I linked is just one, of many, examples.

zachjen_335652

Auditioning
Real Name
zach
Some of it is an exterior wall so there is insulation in some of the wall. But that may work. I guess i need to find out where the insulation starts and stops.

Bobofbone

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
About the IR extenders, I used Niles extenders purchased from Crutchfield. They have a flasher that goes over the IR receiver on the equipment used. I suspect alot of the problems that people have with them not working is due to not placing the flasher over the IR receiver on the equipment. The equipment manual should tell you approximately where it is, and side lighting it with a strong flashlight allows you to see the exact location. Put the flasher right over it. I found my reliability problems vanished when I did that.

One other thing to consider. If you have a smoked glass front on the cabinet doors, the IR signal will probably go through it. If you have the equipment and the smoked glass already, try it out. You may not need the IR extenders if you are using it in a direct line of sight in the same room. The side scatter off my screen runs the Direct TV receiver from my remote signal without an IR extender through the smoked glass in the door. But that piece of equipment is also in the low middle of the window space, in an ideal location.

Bobofbone

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
I looked at your set up again, No glass. The Niles receiver goes to a control unit that can run multiple flashers, depending on the unit you buy. Mine has 6 outputs for 6 different pieces of equipment.

zachjen_335652

Auditioning
Real Name
zach
Well after looking at it closer the whole wall is an exterior wall with insulation in it. Will this provide enough air space to properly cool the cabinet if i was to install the fans in the rear of the shelves on that insulated wall?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Nope.

The best use for those cabinets is for the peripherals. Like your games, CD, DVD/BD and game controllers. If you can't vent it, I wouldn't even put a DVR in there.

zachjen_335652

Auditioning
Real Name
zach
What if i was to pull air from the cabinet on the left of it and exhaust it into the right in the space between the cabinet and fireplace. Or would that introduce too hot of air from the fireplace into it? I'm not sure how got it gets in that space between the wall and fireplace.

zachjen_335652

Auditioning
Real Name
zach
Happy 4th of July!!

HTpic1.jpg

here is another option that may work (see pic). There is dead space all around the cabinet. About 4" all along the bottom and about 2.5" on the right side between the cabinet wall and fireplace (in that dead space the wall is finished and not open to the fireplace). So could I pull air from either B1 or B2 and exhaust air through A? If so which would be better? There is two 1" x 2" gaps on each end of the cabinet in the front bottom edge where it hangs over the base trim where it's open to the air. I can stick my fingers in there so it would get air from the room to it also. Does that sound like it would work properly? Thanks for the info guys! Much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks