What's new

Family Ties Season 5 question (1 Viewer)

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
The last three episodes on disc 4 are obviously from a previous season, probably season 3. However, the end credits indicate a copyright from 1986. Then I read the synopsis and realized they originally aired in July and August of 87, well after the regular season. Anyone have any insight into this? Are they "lost" episodes that Paramount decided to throw into this DVD or something?

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
"Matchmaker" was intended for the 3rd season, but didn't air until the summer of 1987.

The 2-parter "It's My Party" was intended for the 4th season, but didn't air until the summer of 1987.

BTW, CBS/Paramount really did a bad job on this set. The set once again has disclaimers about edited episodes, and music replacements. Both of this season's hour-long episodes are presented in 2 parts, and worst of all, part 1 of "It's My Party" is an edited, syndicated version. Why CBS/Paramount would do that, I will never know.

More in the Sitcomsonline review.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor

Seeing that you support Lion's Gate and Paul Fusco for their horrible handling on ALF, I'm not surprised you said that.

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
NBC frequently aired FT episodes out of order, and would sometimes burn off older, unaired episodes after the regular season was over.

As for the set, Paramount actually did a better job with this than at least the first couple of seasons: despite the disclaimer, most of the music appears to be intact including the Doors and Steppenwolf in "My Name is Alex," and the original recordings of "Mr. Tambourine Man" and "Turn, Turn, Turn." And while "My Name is Alex" is split into two parts, which is annoying, it's not actually missing any scenes.

I'm not defending Paramount's mistsakes, but it is a better job, at least music-wise, than I was expecting.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Ok so the network ran episodes out of order for whatever reason. Doesn't explain why the end credits indicate a copyright for a particular year when the production dates were from an earlier season. Anyway, I'm pleased with the overall presentation by Paramount of the series. I don't know if I like the "cramcase" packaging, though. This show feels like it should've been presented in a family-album type of box, kind of like that Little House On the Prairie set. Also, I want to know more about the cast and their current projects. What the hell is Meredith Birney doing these days? What about Justine Bateman? Filmographies were one of my favorite "extras".

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Ok so the network ran episodes out of order for whatever reason. Doesn't explain why the end credits indicate a copyright for a particular year when the production dates were from an earlier season. Anyway, I'm pleased with the overall presentation by Paramount of the series. I don't know if I like the "cramcase" packaging, though. This show feels like it should've been presented in a family-album type of box, kind of like that Little House On the Prairie set. Also, I want to know more about the cast and their current projects. What the hell is Meredith Birney doing these days? What about Justine Bateman? Filmographies were one of my favorite "extras".

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks