1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Family Guy Season 9

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Ronald Epstein, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

"Everyone but Chris keep your pants on!" Season
    9 officially debuted on September 26th.

Pretty decent start to the season with a one-hour long

episode entitled, "And then there were fewer." which
    seemed to be a sendup of the popular 1976 comedy,

"Murder by Death."

I think what really stood out about this episode was

how wonderfully animated it was. The episode had

a very film-like feel to it both visually and through its

dramatic soundtrack. If you watched it in high definition

and in 5.1, you really found yourself immersed in the story.

However, this week's second episode, "Excellence

In Broadcasting," seemed to be quite a letdown,
    particularly for its subject matter.

Still, it's great to have Family Guy back for a new

season and I look very much forward to watching

and discussing every episode right up through its

Star Wars parody finale, "It's A Trap!"

2. SWFF

SWFF Well-Known Member

Shawn Francis
    Quote:

This is one of those rare posts done I find on forums where all I have to say is, "ditto," because, Ron, all the points you hit, I utterly agree with. The "Republican Episode," as I refer to it, had it's moments of funny, but it was too preachy for me to like it. That hour long debut is on again tonight on the Cartoon Network, 11 pm, I think. Gonna tape it and watch it again.

My taping of Venture Bros went horrible wrong, and I only got to see ten minutes of it. I'm pissed and need this Fanily Guy ep to sooth the raging beast inside me.

3. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Well-Known Member

Aaron Silverman
    At the very least we have to give Limbaugh major props for going along with that.

4. SWFF

SWFF Well-Known Member

Shawn Francis
    I was shocked when I noticed in the end credits Limbaugh had actually provided his own voice to the episode.

Anyone catch the reairing of the season premiere on the Cartoon Channel? They truncated the opening. That movie credit opening was excised. It went from them at the house to Lois waking up in the car and discovering they were already at the mansion.

I stopped recording it.

What a disappointment.

5. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Well-Known Member

Limbaugh was also in one of the Star Wars parody episodes. http://familyguy.wikia.com/wiki/Rush_Limbaugh

6. WillG

WillG Well-Known Member

McFarlane said in that commentary that he thought Limbaugh was a really nice guy (of course, he said he doesn't agree with his views though)

As for this past episode. Seemed like another McFarlane political soapbox episode.

7. SWFF

SWFF Well-Known Member

Shawn Francis
    Colored me surprised . . . didn't know Limbaugh was any other than that recent one. But, you know, I mgiht have noticed it, but just completely forgotten about it.

8. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Well-Known Member

John Williamson
    I'm out and I'll tell you why, not only did the latest episode take a swipe at The Big Bang Theory which is one of my favorite shows and far funnier than this show has been of late but I've finally had it with McFarlane using the show to air how he feels about something to me.

This isn't recent, I've been going this way for a while now but I think I've finally had enough.

I've just really started to dislike McFarlane the past 3 or 4 seasons.

9. Scott-S

Scott-S Test Subject
    Supporter

Scott
    I am also on the verge of bailing. I will give him one or two more episodes. If they are both soapbox episodes, I will have to stop watching. He no longer pokes fun at everything which I liked. He is now just preaching.

And to think I once was really excited when Fox brought them back.

10. SWFF

SWFF Well-Known Member

Shawn Francis
    All right, who saw the hour long Christmas episode? Absolutely hilarious! Before this it was FUTURAMA's Holiday episode that took the cake, this one clearly surpasses it. Goddamn, was that funny!

11. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Well-Known Member

Aaron Silverman
    I saw bits and pieces of it. Parts of it were hilarious, but others were a bit dark.

12. MatthewA

MatthewA Well-Known Member

Matthew
    I thought this was one of the best episodes in years. It was dark, but in a surprisingly "gothic" sense, not in a "dead baby jokes" sense (I admire that they resisted the urge to make Quagmire's dying niece a source of humor in and of herself and instead make it another joke about Brian's insensitivity).

Seth seems to think advocacy is the same thing as satire. It isn't. Quagmire's takedown of Brian last year was funny because it was true, but to Seth, who voices both characters, it's just another monologue. I used to find his advocacy offensive, and now I just find it tiresome. I guess he's run out of 80s sitcoms to mock.

I bailed on this show a while ago, and viewing some of the revival episodes on Netflix didn't make me think I missed much.

13. SWFF

SWFF Well-Known Member

Shawn Francis
    I forgot about that Quagmire scene. Once Brian mentioned to Stewie that Quagmire didn't like him much, I thought, Uh-oh, here we go with another Brian's-gonna-inadvertantly-tick-off-Quagmire-off scene. That was funny as hell, too. I don't buy the Family Guy sets, but I'm seriously thinking of picking this one up for this episode and the hour long murder mystery debut, which I thought was excellent as all Hell, too.

Personally, I think Brian and Stewie are the funniest characters on that show, followed by Peter, and his friends, then the rest of the family. The "home invasion" scene was the funniest, just because I had no idea where it was going, and when it went there, I was shocked, and, yet, still continued to laugh my balls off. God, I love that guy and his cartoons. Still can't find my boys. Gotta do some vacuuming; they've probably just rolled under the bed, or something.

Oh, and has anybody seen that abortion episode the network refused to air. It's on DVD, but for 23 minutes, I ain't paying 15 bucks.

14. MatthewA

MatthewA Well-Known Member

Matthew
    I watched it occasionally in its original run, since it was moved around and cancelled more than "Futurama" was. I could have taken or left it until the DVDs came out, and I absolutely loved the show from then on. But in the five years since it returned, it's a rare treat when any new episode matches the insanity and brilliance of those first 50 episodes.

Shawn, it will be awhile before this season's episodes are on DVD.

15. SWFF

SWFF Well-Known Member

Shawn Francis
    Quote:

Oh, I know that. I was on DVD Empire last night checking out when the last set came out, and I figure these eps won't hit DVD until next June. I still think it's as funny as those initial episodes that came out back in the late 90s. It's AMERICAN DAD that I wasn't overly thrilled with when it came out, but it got funnier in it's second season, and I have a been a religious watcher of both, even THE CLEVELAND SHOW, since then.

16. Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin Well-Known Member

I don't watch this show but had to once I saw the commercial for it and the clever play on words with David Boreanaz. That was why I tuned in. Bizarre but worth it.

17. Joe_H

Joe_H Well-Known Member

Wow, the animation quality has drastically improved this season. I wonder if that's a byproduct of them wanting to make it in HD, or what, but it looks better than ever.