What's new

Fall of the Roman Empire to be released on April 29 (1 Viewer)

MichaelEl

Stunt Coordinator

Judging by the screencaps at DVDBeaver, the image seems to lack detail in comparison to the Japanese version. Apparently the darker transfer had somewhat better contrast.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
From what I can see closeups are lacking in fine detail and skin tones have a tendency to look orangish , something that also was a problem with El Cid, although to a higher degree.
The lack of fine detail is probably due to the excessive use of DNR. The shots that I posted of the forums look better than the Japanese disc, they seem to be less affected, probably because the DNR algorythms used handle outlines better than pores and other small details in faces.

The Japanese version also has more ringing and completely muted colors compared to the Weinstein DVD which therefore still is easily the best version currently available, despite the problems mentioned. I do now think it could have looked significantly better even with the materials used. DNR seems to have been overused and I strongly suspect that somebody with extensive color timing experience like RAH could have achieved more balanced colors.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

The element used for the transfer appears to have been a bit underexposed, and / or possibly faded, yielding an incomplete image across the density spectrum. Harvesting proper color from a less than proper element is very much in line with drawing blood from a stone.

As will be noted in my short piece on the release, I have recommended it...

not based upon the look of the release which is quite average, or slightly below, but at least in part based upon the attempt by The Weinstein Company to create a quality release against the various technical problems with which they seem to have been forced to deal.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

This is the situation we have to deal with. I would not think that it is that bad. But this is a movie that many rank among the most spectacular looking movies of all times after seeing it theatrically, so it could have been much better.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

Thanks for correcting me, I suppose that drawing blood from a stone is even a bit too much for you.

Given the fact that the Weinstein Company seems to have been pretty much on its own with the creation of these transfers I think a recommendation in that grounds is justified. To me it also seems to be improved not only in resolution but also in color balance compared to El Cid, although within the limitations of the elements used (loCon 35mm print).

I would still hope that for a future Blu-Ray release they would be able to do away with the filtered look that seems to affect especially closeups of faces judging by the screenshots.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Attention Netflix users: Unlike EL CID, Netflix has the new transfer of FOTRE, however as they did with HAMLET last year, they did not understand that the film is spread over two discs, so you have to rent the "bonus" disc in order to see the whole film.

MichaelEl

Stunt Coordinator
I've now watched the two DVDs, and I must say, the PQ is pretty bad. Either the film was OVERexposed (= too bright) or else some bad digital filtering was done. In either case, flesh tones look totally "blown out," and I found it difficult to sit through the entire movie.

ptb2007

Agent
Real Name
Paul Trevor Bale
I marvel at some of the reactions as I just watched the dvds and was thrilled to have such a richly coloured, proper wide screen, terrific sound DVD of the movie at last! It isn't the Astoria Charing Cross Road with the Roman statues and the high screen masking - if only!- but for my money, on my tv set, it looks marvellous, and I'm pretty happy. The 'extras' do look a bit thrown together in a hurry, as with 'El Cid', though the mini film from 1964 is fun!
I've seen the 'missing' scene many times so I'm not quite sure why it isn't in the film, and I wonder what was being planned for the 3rd disc, if there ever was a third disc planned!

ptb2007

Agent
Real Name
Paul Trevor Bale
I'd say the failure of Heaven's Gate was the release of a savagely cut version that made no sense at all. The full length 70mm version is imo a masterpiece!

john a hunter

Screenwriter
No,it is cetainly NOT like being in the Astoria watching TFOTRE again in this release. What is one of the most spectacular films ever made is just acceptable in terms both of PQ and SQ.

TFOTRE requires AND deserves much better.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

Exactly, it deserves at least a Blu-Ray release :)

Ever since the very nice DVDs of Cleopatra and King of Kings I have never really looked forward to the picture quality of the DVD release of a large format film. 720 by 480 or 576 pixels are simply not enough when you have hundreds or even thousands of extras in one single frame.

The question is: How good is the master that the DVD is taken from and does it have the filtered look of the DVD ? If it does I have little hope for a Blu-Ray release if it doesn't we might at least be in for a lot more detail with the Blu-Ray version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks