What's new

Fall iPhone refresh speculation (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
mattCR said:
Sam, just so I can say this now, and you can laugh.. the organization I'm with now.. last year: 700+ Blackberries. We have now switched almost all over to iPhones.. perk: I get an iPhone5 the day it ships.. and a few hundred iPhones has actually provided some cool perks. We turn off BES end of the week
No laughing or I told you so's here. I expect people and organizations to adapt and roll with the times. If there are better solutions to what Apple makes I'll use em myself. Blind clinging to anything, tech, political or religion or whatever is bad.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
It's going to take some sorting out. I get your point.. but this forum is specifically "Mobile Phones"... so it's hard to seperate out phones in different groups; could we post about WP7 in the PC/HTPC forum since they share with XBOX and are MS devices? And so on.. maybe the powers that be will move these back; but part of what makes things work is also to make sure all areas of a forum get traffic, and if they don't they go away. So an area designed for phones as it's first calling, right in the name, should carry phones.. ;) JMHO, and I'm glad to be upended if that's decided against.

Originally Posted by Sam Posten

So should iPad threads be in this forum too?

Can you guess how I would answer that?
/t/315097/fall-iphone-refresh-speculation#post_3855163

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That's the problem with using rigid hierarchies to categorize multi-dimensional items :) There's never a perfect fit. It's a long-standing problem for me with Windows and its crappy shortcuts.

iPhone 4S vs iPhone 5? I still don't understand that issue. If it has a new body, A5, more RAM, 8 MP camera is it an 4S or a 5? If that's a 4S, then why isn't the new iPad a 1S?

I'm guessing no 4G / LTE this year, but we'll see a refresh in six months when AT&T has built out their 4G network more.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
mattCR said:
It's going to take some sorting out.     I get your point.. but this forum is specifically "Mobile Phones"... so it's hard to seperate out phones in different groups; could we post about WP7 in the PC/HTPC forum since they share with XBOX and are MS devices?   And so on.. maybe the powers that be will move these back; but part of what makes things work is also to make sure all areas of a forum get traffic, and if they don't they go away.   So an area designed for phones as it's first calling, right in the name, should carry phones..  ;)  JMHO, and I'm glad to be upended if that's decided against. 

It's actually Mobile Phones and Entertainment. I'd say the iPad is clearly in the mobile entertainment arena, but that would go against my argument that it belongs more in the Apple Forum =)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
There also aren't a lot of iPad comments here, but plenty of iPhone VS. threads here... so when people search (like google/not here) who aren't familiar, this willl look to be the place. I'm still mulling this.. it's fragment an Apple device or make this category one with tons of exceptions ;)

Originally Posted by Sam Posten

It's actually Mobile Phones and Entertainment. I'd say the iPad is clearly in the mobile entertainment arena, but that would go against my argument that it belongs more in the Apple Forum =)
/t/315097/fall-iphone-refresh-speculation#post_3855250

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
IMO, Then just get rid of Apple forums. They are "computers" and "phones", so put all that stuff in those forums. OR, put everything apple in apple forums :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I still don't know what "Mobile Phones / Entertainment" means. What is the "entertainment" category that relates to "mobile phones"?

I'm not opposed to a "smartphone" or "appphone" category. And given the pending Kindles and Kindle Fires, perhaps there should be a separate "Tablet-y / Kindle-y / iPad-y" category forum.

But too many categories is as bad as the wrong ones: Maybe re-org it all into "Conventional Computing" (Windows, Chrome, Mac, HTPC) and "Post PC Computing" (smartphones, iPads, Kindles) :)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Yeah, there has been talk about pulling HTPC out altogether and put it up with things like Receivers, etc.. Adam ran a poll on it a while back; that may be fitting because stuff like Media Center which dominates the Wndows forum doesn't flow with the other "this program sucks" or "I need help with X" stuff that goes there.

Maybe pull HTPC, Unify the two computer camps "Desktop and Laptops" kind of category, then a category for all smartphones/portables.

I don't know. Lots of thought there.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Originally Posted by DaveF

I still don't know what "Mobile Phones / Entertainment" means. What is the "entertainment" category that relates to "mobile phones"?

Games and stuff. We are where we were in 1995, only the specs have changed:
Chandler: All right, check out this bad boy. Twelve megabytes of RAM, 500 megabyte hard drive. Built-in spreadsheet capabilities and a modem that transmits at over 28,000 BPS. Phoebe: Wow. What are you gonna use it for? Chandler: Games and stuff.

Remember when everyone was playing Doom? Now it's Angry Birds (although I'm over that game already).

Ron posts reviews for mobile gizmo's in this forum as well. So maybe that's what the "entertainment" is for.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Gruber is skeptical on the teardrop: http://daringfireball.net/2011/09/teardrop_skepticism On twitter tonight the nutzos are wondering if the invite icon shows 4 icons cause the iPhone nano will only show 4 apps on it's home screen. Brilliant!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Nah, it's because with the new antenna refinements, it will only get a signal at 1 infinite loop ;)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Made one.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/315236/october-apple-event-new-iphones-new-ipods-ios5-release-date#post_3857216

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks